Dr. Nadimi Procedure Scheduled for 7-20-18

Hi everyone,

I have a procedure scheduled with Dr. Nadimi out of Dr. Konior's office on 7-20-18, so I'm about 60 days out from surgery. I intend on documenting it as well as I can. This forum has been a great source of information for me and I want to pass along the help by trying to document whatever I can about the experience, my progress and results. That being said, I'm going to try to post pictures at the major milestones, i.e., before, after, 2 weeks, 1 months, and then monthly beyond that.

I'll start by providing my backgrounds, I'm a 37-year-old white male and I've been losing my hair for about 17 years. I'd put myself currently at a IV or V. I've been on minoxidil for about 10 years, maybe a little more and it's done a pretty good job I'd say. At Dr. Nadimi's urging, I began taking generic fin about 20 days ago. So far I don't believe I've experienced any sides and I haven't missed a day of taking it. I intend on taking it for about a year to see if or to what degree it helps. I've read quite a bit of information concerning the sides, but you typically only find posts blasting it, although I understand the sides only occur in a small number of individuals. Regardless, I try to put that out of my mind, and to focus on taking affirmative steps to combat my hair loss.

My dad is probably about a NW VII, and my brothers were both headed in that direction, but they've both chosen to shave their heads. My dad's father had a pretty good head of hair into his 90's. I believe my mom's father was about a NW VII, but he passed away in his sixties. Regardless, I've decided that since I have the option to try to take action and improve my follicular situation, I've decided to do it.

I met with Dr. Nadimi on March 5th, 2018 and I really enjoyed meeting with her. She was pretty blunt with her advice and recommended a 1500 graft FUE procedure. I believe Konior's office tries to limit their FUE procedures to 1500 grafts, but I've noticed they've harvested between 100 and 200 additional grafts if its available and time permits. If it's an option, I'll certainly encourage it because I definitely have some space to cover. I've taken about 15 days off of work, so between those days and the weekends, I'll have about 17 days (including the date of the procedure) to recover. I'll be working from home to the best of my ability, so my apartment will basically be my office.

I believe I'll need at least one additional procedure, but my hope is that I respond well to the fin and it stabilizes the loss and - with any luck - thickens some of my miniaturized hair requiring fewer grafts down the line. Ultimately, I'll see the full results from the HT at a point when I'll have been on fin for about 18 months, so it'll give me a better sense of the next step.

Regardless, I just wanted to put my procedure on interested parties' radar in case they're interested in following along as a source of info for anyone considering booking a procedure with Dr. Nadimi.

Thanks.

I don't disagree. I don't think my donor area is half bad - and I'm hoping the fin prevents further loss. Of course, I'm not the expert. Ideally, Dr. Nadimi will be able to provide some guidance on moving forward. She's certainly been helpful up to this point.

• 2 months later...

Well, I had my FUE procedure with Dr. Nadimi today. It couldn't have gone better. I was out sleeping for probably 90 of the procedure due to the ambien and slept through the entire graft placement procedure. Dr. Nadimi unquestionably knows what she's doing, she provided a lot of guidance but was ultra willing to consider my preferences. At the end of the day, I deferred entirely to her judgement based on others' experience with her and her obviously astute professional judgment. 

When all was said and done, I got in the office at about 6:30 and was out at about 5:00. We were scheduled for 1500, but the number ended up being about 1590. I was told a large number of my grafts were 3 and 4 hairs, but I'll follow up with more details after I reach out to the good doctor for specifics. I'll also upload some pictures when I get a minute.

Beyond that, I can't say enough about the quality of Nadimi's and Konior's staff. Super nice, super competent, and they've obviously been doing this for a long, long time. I'll have to have another procedure given my Norwood scale, but when I do, I'm going back to Dr. Nadimi. While I don't have anyone to compare her to, I can't imagine having a better experience elsewhere.

I'm adding a couple of photos. The first one is day of and the second one is today. I'll try to post some more pictures in better light. Dr. Nadimi and I decided to take a very conservative approach on the hairline so that I had grafts remaining to address the other parts of my scalp. I'm not necessarily trying to look 23 :). I haven't gotten exact graft/hairs per graft count, but Dr. Nadimi sounded very happy with the quality of the grafts and the availability of grafts for a later procedure, particularly considering we went pretty conservative for the hairline. She estimated 1590, so a little more than our initial goal. Let me know if you have any questions, I'm happy to act as a resource for anyone thinking about going through the process.

Thanks!

Evening of procedure

IMG_1330.thumb.jpg.fe5406c1e3969dd1d027ed94d3a4c4ea.jpg

Day after procedure:

image1.thumb.jpeg.b5e24a12497fd0ab1daff69da2192caa.jpeg

Just got back from my 6-day post-op check up with Dr. Nadimi. Final numbers are:

1619 grafts

1 hair grafts - 116; 2 hair grafts - 603; 3 hair grafts - 832; 4 hair grafts - 68; 

Total hairs moved = 4,090; Average hairs per graft = 2.5.

I'll post 7 day post op photos tomorrow and I'll try to dig up some pre-op photos as well.

• Administrators

The work looks extremely clean, it’s not always about the number of grafts as it is the placement of grafts. Please keep us updated on your progress, I like seeing more Dr. Nadimi cases her work looks very good. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

20 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

The work looks extremely clean, it’s not always about the number of grafts as it is the placement of grafts.

True, work looks very clean. And what we have seen from Nadimi so far looked good (even though it is not much).

But: If a noname clinic in turkey would come up with 1500 FU and 116 for this huge area and this hairline on a bald (is it really bald?) head they would be "grilled" in this forum.

• Like 1

Did not wanted to sound harsh, sorry. But I do not get what you are talking about:

Option A) You had remaining hair, then the density of the remaining hair has to be added to the translanted desnity.

Option B) No remaining hair. Then this might be a low density transplant, probably to be be conservative.

I just wanted to know if it is A) or B). On the pic at day 1 after surgery, it is clear that you can see only transplanted grafts.

Edited by Gasthoerer
Tried to explain a little better what my initial question was.

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Gasthoerer said:

True, work looks very clean. And what we have seen from Nadimi so far looked good (even though it is not much).

But: If a noname clinic in turkey would come up with 1500 FU and 116 for this huge area and this hairline on a bald (is it really bald?) head they would be "grilled" in this forum.

That’s not true, I have complimented many guys who have had low cost surgery in Turkey, mick50 is one of them. Not all surgeries in Turkey and India are bad, the problem is there’s no consistency, because techs alternate so you never know the experience level of the techs that will operate on you. But if the work looks good and clean I will say it regardless of where the clinic is. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

3 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

That’s not true, I have complimented many guys who have had low cost surgery in Turkey...

Sorry, you did not get what I mean. I am not saying that you or anyone would not compliment guys for a great transplant in turkey. BUT: If another clinic would come up with this plan (huge are but only 1500 FU) there would be no compliments.

Edited by Gasthoerer
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear that I am bothering you that much. I did not want you to give you a bad feeling about your decision. I know it is a though time after a transplant (the waiting and all).

Your chose a great clinic (from what we know and have seen so far). I think they have a great plan, which maybe I just do not yet fully understand. Hopefully, you will have great results. I wish it to you like I wish to anyone.

Still it is a strange (=non-standard) case and maybe I sound overly aggresive due to beeing a non native speaker. I just wanted to warn people that 1500 FU for the entire frontal third might be on the lower end and you need a great plan or good reason behind it.

Will leave your thread for a while and just follow in silence, as I want you to keep posting your result.

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, HairsHoping said:

I give up. How do I cancel my account...

There’s no need to cancel any account, one person doesn’t represent our community.

View my thread

• Administrators

Guys,

This goes for anybody, we need to be respectful and mindful of others. This negativity has to stop. This community is about sharing experiences and interacting with one another and gaining knowledge. This is not a community for tearing down people or being negative towards them. In order for this community to grow and flourish we need to be encouraging and helpful. 

I will no longer tolerate negativity towards a poster for no reason. This is not the environment we want to have in this community. We want to be honest with members when they ask for our opinions, but unnecessarily being negative towards someone is something else entirely. 

• Like 2

View my thread

Keep updating man. It is an important service you are doing. Nadimi has cases under her belt, but no one has documented their transplant on HTN with her that I've seen. At some point, posting a pre op pic would be helpful. 

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

49 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Guys,

This goes for anybody, we need to be respectful and mindful of others. This negativity has to stop. This community is about sharing experiences and interacting with one another and gaining knowledge. This is not a community for tearing down people or being negative towards them. In order for this community to grow and flourish we need to be encouraging and helpful. 

I will no longer tolerate negativity towards a poster for no reason. This is not the environment we want to have in this community. We want to be honest with members when they ask for our opinions, but unnecessarily being negative towards someone is something else entirely. 

Asking valid questions while consistently maintaining that the comments are not intended to personally attack or offend is not unnecessary negativity. Some are very adamant on every single hair in the frontline and the row behind being single hair grafts, so the question of whether 116 is enough is perfectly valid, it's not an insult, just a question to better understand from the doctors perspective. The other point Gas made about graft numbers is again 100% spot on, linking this point back to Konior Spanker posted a very harsh comment on a Bhatti case with a smaller area than this covered (also thick Indian hair) with a similar graft number and said the graft number was far too low, despite the result clearly looking very impressive. 

The other major English hairloss forum was virtually killed off in the past 6 months in terms of its traffic because of moderation for the sake of it. You can't say you're for honesty and in the same breathe say that anything that might be deemed "negative" is not tolerated. 

Personally I think this case will turn out very well, the work looks clean and the density strong enough for the area, but it is undeniably very conservative for level of baldness and if you don't think that for an Asian or Turkish doctor people would point this out or complain (Spanker having been one of them, double standards here?) then you're burying your head in the sand.

The reality is that people get the best help when others are free to praise what they think is great and critique or question what they aren't so keen on or think isn't the best decision. It's not just for the sake of the OP, but for onlookers too. 

Edited by JeanLDD
  • Like 2

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, JeanLDD said:

Asking valid questions while consistently maintaining that the comments are not intended to personally attack or offend is not unnecessary negativity. Some are very adamant on every single hair in the frontline and the row behind being single hair grafts, so the question of whether 116 is enough is perfectly valid, it's not an insult, just a question to better understand from the doctors perspective. The other point Gas made about graft numbers is again 100% spot on, linking this point back to Konior Spanker posted a very harsh comment on a Bhatti case with a smaller area than this covered (also thick Indian hair) with a similar graft number and said the graft number was far too low, despite the result clearly looking very impressive. 

The other major English hairloss forum was virtually killed off in the past 6 months in terms of its traffic because of moderation for the sake of it. You can't say you're for honesty and in the same breathe say that anything that might be deemed "negative" is not tolerated. 

Personally I think this case will turn out very well, the work looks clean and the density strong enough for the area, but it is undeniably very conservative for level of baldness and if you don't think that for an Asian or Turkish doctor people would point this out or complain (Spanker having been one of them, double standards here?) then you're burying your head in the sand.

The reality is that people get the best help when others are free to praise what they think is great and critique or question what they aren't so keen on or think isn't the best decision. It's not just for the sake of the OP, but for onlookers too. 

Honesty should be given when there is a result to be seen, that is not the case for this patient. I say this for every case, I am moderating based on how I see fit. I’m not censoring. I don’t know what double standards you’re speaking of, in fact in another thread when a patient complained about negative comments and the patient was in fact judging his “own” results too harshly, before they could be reasonably judged, I commented just that. I even told him that some members may come off harsh, but that they’re telling him the truth. 

What I will not tolerate is making a new member feel as if they’ve made a wrong decision when there’s really no way to know or fairly judge the result. This will only deter other new members from posting their results and that will inevitably kill this forum.  This is what ultimately makes this forum thrive, sharing experiences and posting results, these threads are invaluable to researching patients. When we make new members want to stop doing that, then that’s when I have to step in. Gas has already apologized and I hope OP can understand this seems to be a miscommunication as explained by Gas. 

Onwards and upwards- Melvin

View my thread

5 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Honesty should be given when there is a result to be seen, that is not the case for this patient. I say this for every case, I am moderating based on how I see fit. I’m not censoring. I don’t know what double standards you’re speaking of, in fact in another thread when a patient complained about negative comments and the patient was in fact judging his “own” results too harshly, before they could be reasonably judged, I commented just that. I even told him that some members may come off harsh, but that they’re telling him the truth. 

What I will not tolerate is making a new member feel as if they’ve made a wrong decision when there’s really no way to know or fairly judge the result. This will only deter other new members from posting their results and that will inevitably kill this forum.  This is what ultimately makes this forum thrive, sharing experiences and posting results, these threads are invaluable to researching patients. When we make new members want to stop doing that, then that’s when I have to step in. Gas has already apologized and I hope OP can understand this seems to be a miscommunication as explained by Gas. 

Onwards and upwards- Melvin

Typically I think you're fair and on the specific Bhatti case I'm referring to your comments were spot on at providing a more balanced alternative to Spanker's post, but if you think this what Gas said about constitutes "negativity" in such a way that you "will not tolerate" it as a moderator then that's undeniably that's a little worrying.  Especially considering Nadimi isn't even a recommended doctor, just seems a little rich considering how non-American doctors are routinely slandered and while you or Bill might come and offer a more balanced view, you never outright implied you'd censor them in some way unless it's something outrageous, which is leagues away from the supposed "negativity" in this thread.

And there is a result, a clear pre-op result. There does seem to be a tendency among the majority of US FUE surgeons to go significantly more conservative than those in Europe and Asia, it's not a criticism but a lot of people get the impression that ultra conservative is an absolute must for FUE  or higher norwood when the reality is that outside of the US and Canada this is thought of very differently. It's not even a criticism of OPs decision, just raising an alternative opinion that often people aren't even aware of.

Again I think OP will get a good but evidently conservative result and hope they get a result they are happy with, but you can't have any sort of discourse or genuine honesty if you think that anything that might be "negative" to  them is intolerable.  There was a Bosley pre-op someone posted the other day which clearly was an absolute disaster; gaps you could fit your finger on, probably a third of traditionally accepted density and an outright ridiculous looking design, it was immediately obvious from the pre-ops and anyone with any knowledge of hair transplants could see it. How is saying "good luck!" in that circumstance useful to anyone or quality discourse? Without a doubt sometimes negativity can be 100 times more helpful.