Natural Hair Whorl or Start of Hair loss?

• Administrators

It looks like a natural whirl. However, it may be the beginning stages of hair loss. Generally, if you’re noticing it l, it’s because someone has pointed it out or you’ve just noticed. I was your age when I first noticed hair loss, I would recommend consulting with a hair transplant surgeon to diagnose whether or not you have Male Pattern Baldness(MPB). You can find surgeons here https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/hair-loss-doctors.asp

Remember this is only to diagnose whether you have MPB, if you do your best course of action would be medication rogaine and propecia.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Difficult to say in pictures, but cowlicks and whirls often make a little scalp visible, keep an eye on it, perhaps ask a dermatologist to examine it and give you a prescription for finasteride/ propecia if you're concerned.

The drug is a near silver bullet for preventing hair loss in the crown for many users.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

It does look like a natural whirl, my 8 year old has the same pattern. But as mentioned, monitor it taking pictures over time and comparing. if you notice any changes for the worse then take the medication advice above.

Not really possible to judge from the pics. It's normal to see some scalp at the crown. Are you receding at all at the front? Have you any brothers or a father/grandfather with significant hairloss? If so, it becomes more likely that you will begin to lose your hair also. As has been suggested, you should take photos every few months under consistent lighting conditions to see if things change or remain the same.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

To me, it looks like the natural hair whorl that’s evident in the crown. I’ll admit that when I looked at the first picture, it almost looked like there was a possibility of thinning because it almost appeared as if you could see scalp underneath the hair. But I think that is just the lighting. Once I looked at the picture to and picture three, I did not have that impression. If you want to be sure, you could always make an appointment with a top-notch hair restoration physician or a dermatologist who can evaluate your scalp under magnification and ultimately see what you cannot. He or she may determine that you are not experiencing any hair loss or early signs. But I suspect based on the pictures alone, that you are not experiencing hair loss at this time.

Best wishes,

Bill

I'm guessing you rarely, if ever, see yourself from this angle and what you saw scared you. What I see doesn't show any obvious signs of balding. It's a matter of seeing if any changes occur over the coming years. Don't fret, your hair is in great shape.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I opened your pics into larger frames and IMHO, it looks like the beginning stages of MPB...I see some diffusion around the spot as well.

Low dose finasteride works very efficiently in the crown but like others have said, you want to get physically examined by a reputable HT doctor and get a proper diagnosis.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY