Need help - 2 month long shed

Hello,

I am in a massive two month long shed that is causing me to lose ~10 hairs every time I touch my hair. My hair is now extremely thin after two months of this.

age 37, been on fin of 15 years. I my second HT in Nov 17 and started rogaine again about a month after.

The only thing that I have changed is I've used Selsun Blue for the last 5 years and switched to a boitin shampoo around the same time as the shed started to happen. I realized this a couple days ago and switch back to selsun blue. This is the non medicaded version with selenium sulfide

I have been on this site for a while and have read a lot of threads and have never heard of any shampoo causing hair loss other than nizitrol.

Any ideas?

thanks

• Administrators

You may be experiencing a seasonal shed, or telegon effluvium which is essentially a massive hair shed. The causes of this range from stress to actual trauma to the follicles, some medication can also cause this. Are you going through anything stressful or have you gotten on any medications lately?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

You may be experiencing a seasonal shed, or telegon effluvium which is essentially a massive hair shed. The causes of this range from stress to actual trauma to the follicles, some medication can also cause this. Are you going through anything stressful or have you gotten on any medications lately?

Thanks, Melvin. No meds. I was extremely stressed in the month of March. But April everything got better. Can stress cause the hairs to minaturize or just fall out? I've had both. In the past, I didn't see too many minaturized hairs, the minoxidil was doing its job.

Sometimes the initial use of minoxidil and/or finasteride can induce a prolonged shed.

Doubtful it's the change in shampoo and also doubtful about having TE as that is very rare for a man your age.

In addition, stress alopecia usually manifests in a more patchy type of hair loss, not a shed cycle.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I wonder if getting blood work done by your general physician would provide any helpful information, bc it's doubtful a shampoo would cause this sort of drastic change. Certain deficiencies can cause hair loss, so I would use that as a starting point to see if there's anything larger that needs to be addressed.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

And most health insurance plans should cover the blood work.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY