3038 Grafts FUE / ASMED - Koray Erdogan / 30th April

8 hours ago, jj51702 said:

Looking great Jean. Any of your friends make any comments?

My close friends already were aware of the procedure and have been impressed, same with my hair dresser. One thought I was joking when I told him I'd had transplants, I think he still does. I've only recently started wearing my hair with the hairline exposed because there's no remaining recession unlike after the first procedure which I wasn't comfortable with, so we'll see what happens. 

Because I'm young and my hairloss proceeded so quickly there are a lot of people who never noticed I had hairloss to begin with (long hair with a strategic combover helps too). A lot of people genuinely thought (and said) that I had a "bad haircut" when I was diffused NW3 and refused to accept I was balding, so presumably now just think my hairdresser upped their game.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

6.5 months,  lengths still out of wack which is annoying for styling it but my hair hasn't been this good since I was 19.

IMG_1230-17-11-18-01-14.thumb.jpeg.aba1d3765de4783c029aabf70a35e546.jpeg

image.thumb.png.3a83e4904c2754849cb2d92d96c1dfc5.png

image.thumb.png.047c64e62a8a234ff77660795e644fd2.png

P1160754.thumb.JPG.8b274e5b2311084e3dcbda08f653cc6d.JPG

image.thumb.png.5a6e2f7c50ed9437d67d00c278d88166.png

• Like 1

Jean

When you wanted to lower the hairline slightly what was Dr Erdogan's initial response to it? And if he opposed it, did you have to persuade him to? How much lower was it in terms of mm and how many grafts was it just for the very front of the hairline? I say this because when I had it done with him he did not want to lower the hairline even slightly i felt the corners were a touch too high but he said any lower would make my nose look big. I am 6 weeks post op now so I am going to see how this developed over the next 9-10 months and consider lowering it ever so slightly and finish of the rest of the scalp.

On 11/20/2018 at 2:16 AM, FarsanUk said:

Jean

When you wanted to lower the hairline slightly what was Dr Erdogan's initial response to it? And if he opposed it, did you have to persuade him to? How much lower was it in terms of mm and how many grafts was it just for the very front of the hairline? I say this because when I had it done with him he did not want to lower the hairline even slightly i felt the corners were a touch too high but he said any lower would make my nose look big. I am 6 weeks post op now so I am going to see how this developed over the next 9-10 months and consider lowering it ever so slightly and finish of the rest of the scalp.

He didn't have any problems with the idea but I didn't press for it to be especially low, mainly just a change to the overall shape and squaring it off more at the temples than lowering it significantly. Its about 900 grafts in the hairline direct area with another 600ish spread behind in the frontal third for more density. He did ask if I was continuing finasteride and emphasised the worth of doing so.

Personally I don't think you need to lower your corners further, but definitely makes sense that considering your large area of loss he wouldn't risk a juvenile hairline in a first procedure. You'd definitely benefit from work at the temples though which would make the corners appear less of an issue.

8 hours ago, Gasthoerer said:

Amazing! You must be very happy.

Could you also have some exposing the hairline? 

I wish you the best and that the rest of the hair is stable. You would be quasi cured. 

I thought this batch of outdoors pics would show the hairline better but I should have just pulled it back, I'll do some at 7 months.

It is quite close to perfect, you can see that small circle in the crown that likely could have done with more grafts and being dense packed, but also behind the hairline towards the midscalp on one side there is an area that never had enough grafts placed in it across both procedures. Likely some improvement left to come from this procedure but I'm guessing with another 1500 grafts or so, maybe 400 in that crown area, 400 in the hairline and 700 on the thinner side back into the midscalp area it would be *literally* perfect in regards to what transplants can achieve. Not that I'm planning on doing it, but if I was on a six figure salary I would go to Konior really refine every last gap. Maybe in four or five years. My result is better than what I thought was plausible at the beginning though, can't fault the work from ASMED and its 6000 grafts for  less than half the amount of money some people spend at other top clinics that still don't always get good growth. Can wear it how I want and don't have to worry about hair no matter the setting anymore, realistically my hair is better than that of some of my similarly aged friends who don't have hairloss, but the waviness definitely helps a lot.

One thing I've also noticed is that having read Erdogan claim that homogenisation of overall scalp density via FUE due to thinning of the donor is a benefit of FUE, my experience suggests is that this isn't just marketing. My donor was just stupidly thick and unmanageable compared to the top before the first procedure but is in a much better place at this point.

Edited by JeanLDD

I'm glad things worked out for you, hair loss is a curse but especially at such a young age, I think you should stop at this point as it looks perfect and for the future as well. If money and time wasn't an issue, why would you choose Konoir for refinements and not Cuoto who primarily does FUE?

2 hours ago, Payam said:

I'm glad things worked out for you, hair loss is a curse but especially at such a young age, I think you should stop at this point as it looks perfect and for the future as well. If money and time wasn't an issue, why would you choose Konoir for refinements and not Cuoto who primarily does FUE?

Specifically because Konior uses stick and place which would also benefit because it would only be transplanting in between existing hairs to add density, I wouldn't alter the hairline. I'm not seriously considering it at the moment though, it would be nice to literally fill every last gap but there's a lot more that I'd rather spend money on at this point. Even for a 23 year old I have quite a good head of hair.

I don't think I will ever have issues with running out of donor. Even if I lost every last native hair I would be able to cover the area if the yield was similar to these two procedures, and I don't think I've gone backwards at all since I started finasteride so see it as unlikely that I'll need to for a long period of time at least.

• 3 weeks later...

The second pass has made such a big difference. Excites me as to how I'm going to look over the next few months. 

First Transplant: 5000 FUE grafts with Dr Koray Erdogan ASMED, December 2016

First Hair Transplant link: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185564-5000-grafts-fue-13th-14th-december-asmed-dr-erdogan.html

Hair loss regime

Propecia 1mg daily

Saw Palmetto 450mg daily

Biotin 1000ug daily

MSM 1500mg daily

Pumpkin Seed Oil 1000mg daily

1% Nizoral shampoo weekly

Lasercomb x 3 weekly

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2018 at 6:23 AM, JeanLDD said:

Also the "even with finasteride there will be hairloss" isn't all that true, the vast majority will maintain on it for up to a decade (probably more but the studies don't go beyond this) and is likely to give more than enough time to opt for the trasnplant route and have acceptable hair in your youth. If I had some more visible thinning in the crown by the time I was 35 it wouldn't be half the issue as it is at 23.

On 6/18/2018 at 9:57 AM, kramer79 said:

Do you find finasteride helped grown any hair back in your crown? or it has just maintained what you had? If it just maintained it, did you ever consider upping the dose in order to potentially strengthen the crown?

I've been taking Propecia since it was introduced in the US in 1997. Here's my experience with it:

I had significant thinning in my hairline at the time I started taking it. Within a few months I noticed some slight regrowth in the frontal area and overall my hair got a little bushier. It significantly stunted the hair loss in the first several years I took it (1mg/day). 

Around the 4-5 year mark, it had seemed to reach its peak effectiveness and my hairline started to miniaturize in waves—I'd notice a miniaturization period about once a year, and I knew all the Propecia was doing at that point was slowing down the inevitable. 

At one point in 2006 I said, screw it, and stopped taking it for a few months. The hair loss I experienced was pretty dramatic and I started taking it again. It regrew most of what I had lost in that three month period, but the waves of miniaturization continued until I finally had to do something about it and began researching hair transplantation. This was around 2012. By 2013, after meeting with numerous surgeons and patients, I finally pulled the trigger (I'm so glad I didn't get it done in the 1990s during the plug era). 

About a year ago, I started taking a 1/2mg/4x week and 1mg/3x week. I've since cut that to 1/2mg 5x week and 1mg/2x week. I haven't noticed any significant difference in its effectiveness and I've been thinking about reducing it to even further to 1/2mg/6x week and 1mg/1x week. I've read articles that have said a 1/2mg is just as effective as 1mg so I don't think upping the dosage is going to strengthen your crown. 

My crown has weakened over time and I had Dr Konior hit it with this second procedure I just had with him. But I focused primarily on refining the hairline and boosting the mid-region. 

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/29/2019 at 1:33 PM, Leftwithrope said:

Hey Jean,

Did adding more density to the previously transplanted areas add any significant coverage? Kinda hard to tell if it's your new hairline or the increased density that's giving you a dense look.

Yes however they focused most of the added density on one side and the other could still do with more grafts imo. But with wet hair or under harsh bathroom light the difference between the new areas of hairline and previously transplanted with added density is visible. The other side which most of the density was added is literally perfect, or very close to it.

On 1/7/2019 at 4:02 AM, VicTNYC said:

Progress update?

I don’t have access to the good camera anymore and at this length my hair gets very curly so the hairline isn’t exposed.  Can’t say I’ve noticed a difference since 7.5 months. Anyway this is how it looks atm. Planning on buzzing it in a few weeks.

9102F045-79BA-4A8C-9606-D1633F2B9DAB.png

68F1C364-31BB-4CC2-9435-92E00FB87192.png

52 minutes ago, JeanLDD said:

I don’t have access to the good camera anymore and at this length my hair gets very curly so the hairline isn’t exposed.  Can’t say I’ve noticed a difference since 7.5 months. Anyway this is how it looks atm. Planning on buzzing it in a few weeks.

Unbelievable result im really happy for you. You took control and went through a scary process young and couldn’t be better for it. Congrats!

2 hours ago, JeanLDD said:

Very impressive results, Jean, congrats!

FYI, you’re holding a very good camera haha....best way to take clear pics with it is to use the 10 second self-timer mode so it focuses better then takes the pic.

• 4 weeks later...

A few snippets around 10 months. Don’t think there has been noticeable improvement since roughly 8 months. Overall very happy, constantly amazed at how good my hair is compared to before my first hair transplant. Still niggling desire to perfect things, I think 300 multis in the crown and 1200 in the hairline + adding maximum density to the weaker side of the frontal third would be worthwhile. I’d probably consider a stick and place doctor like Keser or Konior. I’ll probably give it 3-5 years minimum and see how I maintain on fina

5934A917-4429-4D4C-9575-2196DE484886.jpeg

CD4BFFBE-BF3A-46BB-AA07-6173C679C5A3.jpeg

5652A6E6-3A28-47BA-9644-05D901E2C433.png

F0EE75CD-7CA3-432E-96C3-82DA824F5E4B.jpeg

8C3B4FE3-0436-4C9E-9647-14A464EC1C02.jpeg

• Like 2