Does tying long hair back increase hair loss or not?

Recently went to the chemist and the person working there said that tying your hair in a ponytail increases hair loss? True or myth? I've heard wearing a hat causes hair loss but I've also been told that's a myth?

Hi Wayne,

It really depends on how tight you tie your ponytail and for what prolonged time.

e.g. if you pull it real tight and tie it like that for a sustained number of years then you are in danger of losing hair through Traction Alopecia. This is quite a common occurrence in Sikh males who tie their hair tight for a number of years in either a topknot or under a turban. It also occurs in males /females of African origin who again tie their hair back in braids or similar hairstyles for some time. I have even seen occurrences in female gymnasts and even an ex-professional synchronized swimmer.

So be careful not to tie your hair too tight so that it is pulling at the roots.

Edited by Shera

Shera is correct and it most definitely isn't a myth. You may have noticed that women who tie their hair back tightly will sometimes be receding all the way around their hairline as well as around the back at the neckline. I see this often and feel like I want to warn the person that they're causing damage.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't tie your hair up at all. Just don't do it too tightly.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

• Administrators

Shera and Matt are both correct. Traction alopecia is a form of alopecia caused predominantly by pulling force being applied to the follicles. This typically effects individuals who wear their hair in tight ponytails, pigtails, or braids. Constant traction, or pulling on the hair will cause permanent hair loss. This is applicable on any part of the body. Which is why women have eye brow transplants, because all of those years of tweezing, and pulling their hair out, caused permanent hair loss.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Shera, Matt, and Melvin are all correct.

But for the person who does have long hair, the occasional pony tail should be of little concern if worn casually and loosely.

Speaking of myths, my Dad told me that wearing Beatle Bangs would cause me to get acne of the forehead. I never did get that Acne, Dad.

But it did cause the girls to chase me.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

My apologies Wayne, I made a bad assumption you were talking just a normal pony tail which tends to be on the looser side, most don't tie to the tightness that is necessary for traction alopecia so my mind didn't even go there but as the others brought up correctly, it is possible if you tie it tight enough on a consistent basis. Sorry for the incorrect info.

Not a worry at all Mikey. Thanks so much for the replies guys. I don't really tie my hair too tight to be honest. It's more the Steven Seagal look haha. Here's a picture below, so you guys tell me if it looks too tight? I work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and unfortunately have to have my hair tied back because of this, but you guys let me know, judging by the pic below if my ponytail will cause

hair loss. After work I generally wear it down.

5b32fba982de9_Chadstone2016.jpg.b1c43639b160e5b147698d9dd413e706.jpg

• Administrators

Your hair doesn’t appear to be tied too tight. Your hair looks fantastic, I see no signs of balding.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

It's really the braiding, corn row styles, etc., that puts the type of strain and tension inducing traction alopecia.

Most of the guys that I see wear a pony tail wear it fairly loose....:cool:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I have seen several black men who braid their hair and show signs of traction alopecia.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Yeah, you're style is totally fine except that you've probably made quite a few of us envious of all your hair now.... Happy for you, but also damn you... ;)

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Yeah, I know what you mean...a good buddy of mine has a fairly large thinned spot on his crown and he pulls his long hair straight back into a pony tail and it covers that spot completely...:cool:

Gillenator