dr griffiths madrid

Hi Guys

Has anyone heard of or got any information on Dr Peter J. Griffiths based in Mardrid ,Spain?

He seems to have a good pedigree, a member of ISHRS since 2012

Peter J. Griffiths, MBBS | Hair Loss Doctor Madrid | ISHRS and is offering a very good deal for the procedure I am looking for.

However I am struggling to find any patient reviews, before and after pictures, and the website looks pretty poor and uninformative.

I have had 2 procedures in Cyprus via HDC over a 9 year period. I am fairly happy with the results but I would not go back there now so I am looking for affordable alternatives closer to the UK that preferably does not involve a trip to Turkey. I see soo many clinics in Turkey that seem to produce excellent results at incredibly cheap prices but I am not convinced unless someone can help in that? Also I would prefer not to fly as having travelled several times through multiple airports after a hair transplant it is something I really would prefer not to repeat.

Cheers!

I spend a lot of time on the spanish forums and that is a name I have not seen make the rounds much at all. Every once in a while somebody will mention it to find out info but its hard to come by patients. That is not to say he is not good or bad just an unknown. which unfortunately may as well be bad as going into op 3 your margin for error has to be low. HDC does very nice work, why are you not looking at them any longer? is it strictly price? I know you don't want to fly as well and I get the hassle there but if you're looking to save money and not go to Turkey you don't have a lot of options. The best docs in spain aren't cheap, Belgium is priced higher than hdc as well so your options bottom out quickly without Turkey or hdc

Thank you for the input.

It is a little baffling a surgeon of his calibre hasn't got any reviews and before/after pictures?

I was in discussion with his assistant who is offering full FUE treatment (as many grafts as the donor area will allow up to 4000 in one session) for ?3200. This is an excellent deal and I am very keen to have the procedure done in Spain as I have a property there and I can recover for 2 weeks before having to get a flight. But obviously as it stand there simply isnt enough evidence to convince me to commit to this.

This was her last message to me November 2017. I see there are some picture on there now but they are far from convincing.

Hello, it's recommended to shave the head as obviously it makes visibility etc better for the doctor but if it is important for you to do it without shaving then we can also do it that way. However you'll still need to shave the back area for the extractions.

We can't send patient photos by email due to data protection laws. We are in the process of updating the website with more photos, I think there may already be more on the Spanish version at Injerto Capilar Madrid : Experto Trasplante Capilar FUE

We do have many more photos which we can show at in person consultations but unfortunately we can't put them all on the website as not everyone gives permission.

Regarding the forums I don't know if we are mentioned there or not. The forums charge clinics to publish results there so really it's just another form of advertising and we find advertising on Facebook/Google to be more effective.

All the best,

Sara Casanova

I had a strip and FUE procedure at HDC in Cyprus back in 2009. I was happy with everything and the result, so much so 3 years ago myself and a friend visited for another procedure.

The second time I noticed a change in things. The general hygiene was poor, I could see old grafts and blood stains on the floor. The surgeon (Dr Maras) working between patients seemed very stressed and over worked, almost like he was trapped there and had to day in day out work hours that were difficult to sustain. However he is a really nice guy and very talented albeit the technicians do 80% of the work and I couldn't fault them. Also there was zero interaction with the manager Pantelis Ftellehas, Alex the sales guy was less friendly and much more vacant than the first time. Neither myself or my friend had a single aftercare message of any sort which you would expect.

The end price was much more for both of us than agreed beforehand. Our price did include the flights but dear me what a nightmare. We had to drive into northern Cyprus to a tiny airport and checks from the Turkish authorities, then we had a long stop over at Istanbul airport before finally catching the final flight. This was all with the aftermath of surgery and my friends swelling was intense so he really suffered on this unnecessary journey back.

After 2 procedures with them I am still finding myself needed more which in my opinion should not be the case. Any further hair loss or preference to my hair style etc should have been addressed and taken into consideration. Both times I had to ask for alterations to my hairline "after" the procedure as they did not do it at the time as I wanted and agreed.

Luckily I still have enough donor area left for maybe 2000 grafts? And for my last ever procedure (I thought and hoped the second was the last) if I had to fly that way I would go to one of the Turkish surgeons for the same results but for much less. Obviously this is my own personal opinion and experience. And I am not saying HDC do not provide good results.

Ideally Dr Griffiths can sort his marketing out and in time convince me to go there instead of Turkey??

Well that is disappointing to hear about hdc as based on the work I had seen I thought for the price they were a solid choice but that they didn't do what you wanted and agreed upon and the standards not good, that is very disappointing. Unfortunately even after a couple cases sometimes goals aren't met, I've had 2 world class docs and I'm still heading in for a third procedure. I am happy now and the third is more just a luxury as I have lots of grafts available and I got hair greed but I couldn't say it's perfect now, still some minor fixes and that I think is just the reality of transplants you're always going to want a little more but what I'm getting and talking about, that's different from not getting what you asked for and was agreed upon.

As for Dr Griffiths, as I said, I don't know him so I can't say good or bad but unknowns make me nervous and if you're down to your last 2k, they should make you nervous. When I hear a clinic say they prefer google/facebook ads, my initial thought is they are trying to get the budget shopper and not the quality shopper...and that is not how we should be picking docs. I know that budget has to be a consideration for many but largely you get what you pay for. Spain isn't as cheap a place to hire techs as Turkey or India so if they can compete on price with those regions you should be nervous until you can verify they do quality work. The clinic is right the forums do charge to be there but to be fair a good clinic will make that money back many times over if they do good work. Nowhere will they build up bigger word of mouth than a forum, all the top clinics are represented somewhere, they may not all be here but they'll be on the Italian, Spanish, Eurocentric forums or they'll be here and not there...if you're not on a forum and your reputation doesn't already precede you, your work usually isn't up to par and you're trying to compete on price. If you got a house in Spain there are great Spanish options but not at the price point of an hdc or below unfortunately. If you can get your price point higher than I would look into Lorenzo/Villas or Meyer/Alcaide (from Bisangas Spanish branch) if you're patient you could try to wait out Dr DeFreitas but hes a couple years out, I don't think Couto is worth even mentioning anymore. If price is a factor I would get my butt to Turkey if I were you, Erdogan, Keser, Pekkiner, you got 2k left, put them to use with some sure hands.

Maybe HDC were having a difficult period at that time due to the Cyprus financial crisis in 2012/2013 and it reflected on their operations some what?

For me it seems pound for pound Turkey is the best option even though it isnt an area of the world I want to visit again. If you can get high class results for much less outlay it has to be a consideration. I have already spent enough on procedures and but like you say as time passes you always seem to want more (hair greed haha). I know for sure the next procedure is my last! It is not a nice thing to go through never mind the cost.

I am only guessing that I have 2000 donor grafts. Looking at the back and sides of my head it is probably double that.

Where are you having your third procedure done?

I am very cautious about the Clinic in Madrid/Dr Griffiths. I would have taken the plunge by now other wise. The photos on the site are very poor to say the least and as discussed there is nada about him or the clinic on the internet to form an opinion at this stage which is a big shame.

Have you heard anything about this clinic? If I have to go to Turkey I would prefer to go to Antalya over Istanbul. http://www.getfue.com Dr Ayhan Colak?

I have taken note of the surgeons you mention in Turkey. And again thank you very much for the input and advice.

I hear ya, the procedure itself is not fun, it's not that it's painful for a long period just the shaving down and going thru it and then going thru the regrowth period and the will it yield well won't it, it's just a lot of hassle to keep putting yourself thru.

Turkey is probably among your best bang for the buck in terms of value, you can get some good work for cheap but you can also be royally screwed, it is really the wild west out there, there is little rules and regulation and very little honor among thieves. We've seen it on this forum but it's present on others too that clinics send employees to post up rave reviews, that's why we really push for long track records and are generally untrusting of clinics with very few patient experience logs, it's so hard to know who to trust. I can't say I know anything of the 2 Turkish clinics you mentioned, again that isn't to say they're good or bad, just unknowns. I mentioned the clinics I did in Turkey because they've stood the test of time. Dr Pekkiner is the best value and that's because he himself is relatively new but he has apprenticed under 2 of the bigger names in Turkey and is entirely hands on, you know what you're getting with him. When going to tech mills, you need to know not just the doc, even tho they are rarely involved, but it is because they are rarely involved you have to know what the qualifications of the techs are. When you're dealing with the low priced options, how much do you trust the tech training, how much do you trust that the tech has experience, how much turnover do you think that clinic has paying techs so little, once they have experience do they move on? how much can you trust that you can get the same result as a guy years before you if the team involved isn't the same...I know you're wanting to save here but you're playing with fire and that makes me nervous. I don't recommend any doctor I wouldn't trust my own scalp to so I won't recommend any of these low end clinics as they're just endless questions to me. In Turkey I gave you the names I could personally trust but the choice is ultimately yours and you have to feel confident in it, if you find one of these lower priced options could be your clinic that's your call. I wish you the best of luck whatever you decide!

Well that is disappointing to hear about hdc as based on the work I had seen I thought for the price they were a solid choice but that they didn't do what you wanted and agreed upon and the standards not good, that is very disappointing. Unfortunately even after a couple cases sometimes goals aren't met, I've had 2 world class docs and I'm still heading in for a third procedure. I am happy now and the third is more just a luxury as I have lots of grafts available and I got hair greed but I couldn't say it's perfect now, still some minor fixes and that I think is just the reality of transplants you're always going to want a little more but what I'm getting and talking about, that's different from not getting what you asked for and was agreed upon.

As for Dr Griffiths, as I said, I don't know him so I can't say good or bad but unknowns make me nervous and if you're down to your last 2k, they should make you nervous. When I hear a clinic say they prefer google/facebook ads, my initial thought is they are trying to get the budget shopper and not the quality shopper...and that is not how we should be picking docs. I know that budget has to be a consideration for many but largely you get what you pay for. Spain isn't as cheap a place to hire techs as Turkey or India so if they can compete on price with those regions you should be nervous until you can verify they do quality work. The clinic is right the forums do charge to be there but to be fair a good clinic will make that money back many times over if they do good work. Nowhere will they build up bigger word of mouth than a forum, all the top clinics are represented somewhere, they may not all be here but they'll be on the Italian, Spanish, Eurocentric forums or they'll be here and not there...if you're not on a forum and your reputation doesn't already precede you, your work usually isn't up to par and you're trying to compete on price. If you got a house in Spain there are great Spanish options but not at the price point of an hdc or below unfortunately. If you can get your price point higher than I would look into Lorenzo/Villas or Meyer/Alcaide (from Bisangas Spanish branch) if you're patient you could try to wait out Dr DeFreitas but hes a couple years out, I don't think Couto is worth even mentioning anymore. If price is a factor I would get my butt to Turkey if I were you, Erdogan, Keser, Pekkiner, you got 2k left, put them to use with some sure hands.

Any pics of your situation up? What Norwood were you when you started and how many grafts have you used? How many grafts are you looking at for the third procedure? Lorenzo again I'm assuming?

Just came back from my second round with Erdogan. Another 3000 grafts. Very much hoping for a completeness after this procedure, but suspect there will always be micro-issues that one wants to address. I'd probably go to a doctor only clinic and likely with a smaller number of grafts in future, likely Konior or Baubac to work through them in detail if I did. In terms of coverage assuming a good yield I should have a very good situation to work with after the last procedure. Hoping not to feel the urge for another 5 years at least though.

Ps.. I keep seeing and hearing about this place "anatomica"

This post on here the guy only paid $2000 for 4800 grafts with post op and early stage results looking very good!

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/178499-fue-hair-transplant-trukey-4800-grafts-hacer-yuce.html

I would look at Erdogan or Ozgur at HLC Ankara

Erdogan seems to be knocking out great results one after the other and only heard good things about HLC and Ozgur also

All the best man :)

ej

Any pics of your situation up? What Norwood were you when you started and how many grafts have you used? How many grafts are you looking at for the third procedure? Lorenzo again I'm assuming?

Just came back from my second round with Erdogan. Another 3000 grafts. Very much hoping for a completeness after this procedure, but suspect there will always be micro-issues that one wants to address. I'd probably go to a doctor only clinic and likely with a smaller number of grafts in future, likely Konior or Baubac to work through them in detail if I did. In terms of coverage assuming a good yield I should have a very good situation to work with after the last procedure. Hoping not to feel the urge for another 5 years at least though.

Hey Jean, I don't have a dedicated thread, I value my privacy but I've shared my pictures with a few posters who have asked and if you'd like to see my evolution i'd be happy to show you a few pics, just pm me. Going into my first op the docs had me down as a 3v but I'm a diffuse loss patient so while loss wasn't hugely evident outside the 3v pattern, we know our hair and i could tell density was down thru the midscalp as well. That loss just wasn't showing thru like the 3v pattern that had emerged. I was projected to be a nw 4 without meds. My first op was hairline with Dr Bisanga, and that was 2500 grafts. My 2nd op was 900 crown and 1200 midscalp for 2100 total with Dr Lorenzo. As it is I have full coverage, in normal lighting I have the illusion of a full head of hair but the density and blending could be improved. Dr Erdogan and Lorenzo both use the coverage value system so as long as they use it the same way the numbers should help clarify what I'm saying, my real recipient coverage value for hairline is 7.2 and my crown is 6.3 so i'm trying to get that better balanced as you can see how thick the hairline is and how it tapers going back. I've got according to their numbers another almost 13k grafts in the bank... I can only hope that's right lol. I knew I'd be back in for a 3rd procedure, I had talked to Lorenzo about it prior my 2nd op about the best game plan and he said we could go for a higher graft count but he likes to go in stages in the event there is exactly what you said some smaller micro issues that arise after the 2nd that may need addressing, we felt like if there was I'd be back a third time anyway so lets do it in stages. Now he can go in and just boost density and this last op should last me a long time...I will be glad not to have to do this again for a while. Dr L thinks I'm good with another 1k grafts but I'm pushing for 2k min, preferably more...my feeling is if im going thru this process and shaving my head again lets make it worthwhile, I don't want to be thinking I could use a little more in a couple years...if his estimate is right and i've got near 13k grafts what am I saving them for lets get that density, I'm on dut and my worst case progression isn't that bad, might as well put them to work.

You should be in a great position after this op, you might have some micro issues, that's just the reality with transplanted hair, it's never perfect for us hair obsessed but that you can live with a while, most likely. I hope you find the break after this one that I've been unable to find... I never thought when this all started that i'd be planning my 3rd op in as many years :eek: I will be watching your case, wish you the best result!!