need help/advice on hair systems.

harry1234

Hi everyone,

i had hair transplant 2 years back but it didn't go as i expected and am having to much hair loss recently. I am thinking to consider the Hair system option and want to pro's and cons of it along with pricing in detail.

could someone guide me

On balance, I have no regrets making the change from little hair to a nice head of hair. Life has improved, but the key is finding a good supplier at a reasonable cost and being mentally ready.

Costs can vary from ?100 off ebay to ?3,000 from a swanky clinic.

The sooner you move to DIY the more you will save and the more likely it is to work for your pocket. At first, it is nerve racking, but with good guidance you really should pick up most of the key points quickly. Don't get locked into expensive contracts and don't over buy products. You actually need very few.

Initally I used northwestlace

Northwest Lace - High Quality Hair Replacement

But for the last few years I have used a more local company

Top Quality & Affordable Hair Systems, Hairpieces, Toupees, Wigs, Hair Replacement Systems - Shipping UK and Worldwide.

Thanks grincher.

not sure what you meant by DIY? is it mandatory that i have to shave my existing hair to apply the hair system? will the shaved hair below the hair system grows back once we stop using the hair system or will it be dead and doesnt grow back permanantely due to lack of ventilation. I just want to know all the things before i do some thing thats not reversible.

Moreover i stay in Tampa, florida, united states do you have any recommendation over here about salons or suppliers

DIY is a UK term making do it yourself (from home). That is remove, clean and reattach.The opposite is attending a salon.

The hair does not interfere with the system and the system doesn't affect the hair. It continues growing as normal so you need to buzz it down.

Yes you will need to shave/buzz the hair down.

Plenty of choice in the USA but I am in the UK

I have been doing some research on different types of bases.https://www.hairbro.com/different-hair-replacement-system-base-type-guides

Lace front skin base looks interesting as it offers both undetectability and density. Wanted to if anyone have tried or came to know about this particular base. any insight on comfort level/sweat rate with this base, is appreciated

I would have though a skin front and lace elsewhere would deliver that better.

Skin is fragile, it is most likely to tear quicker under weight of hair. While Lace can take it and skin is supposedly less detectable hence have it at the front.

Hairbro say skin is durable - thats poppicock! Lace is far more durable.

I think a lot of people say super fine swiss lace is less detectable than the loops in skin.

I would say that no hair system is undetectable, but a good is not detected. There is a difference. I can spot a very good system.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

My personal opinion is that hair systems can and do offer a solution to a lot of people. This can really be an alternative solution that does not involve permanent changes. One thing to remember is that wearing a hair system is a lot of work, and the learning curve is steep. Dealing with the glue can be a real pain, especially at the hairline. Three areas to be particularly aware of are: density, hair color and the hairline itself.

I wore a hair system for a few months when I had some time off, and most people do not detect even a system that is just decent, but there are of course those who detect even a very good hair system. I think you have to build up a mind set of not caring what other people think because there will always be days where the glue will loosen, the hairline will look bad, or some people may detect that it is a system. Not caring about what others think and just seeing it as something that is fun and makes you feel better about yourself is the way to look at it. Don't give a !!!! about what other people think....

I would invest in going to a good hair dresser the first few times just so that you get it right in the beginning. DIY can save you a lot of money long term but you will really want your experience to be positive in the beginning.

Northwestlace is very popular on the forums. Eric @ Northwestlace is pleasant to deal with.

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Thanks for your responses in educating a newbie @grincher, @delancey and @spanker

yep i will be visiting a salon for the first time for sure.

i am looking for a hair system which is undetectable at hairline and offers good density in the crown are as my natural hair in the back and sides are of good density. Based on my research only skin bases in the crown area offers good density. is this true?

the blogs that i read were originally written in 2012, not sure any updates were made to the other hair system bases to offer good density? does the lace base also offers good density?

I'll reiterate. No system is undetectable, but a good system is not detected. That means, if I you are talking to someone who wears it has had a hair transplant, he will likely spot it, because we look for it. But if you are talking to someone at the grocery store, they would have no idea.

The type of base you get has nothing to do with density and I'll say that one of the biggest give aways regarding hair systems is too much density, so I would be careful about that as well. Imo, it is better to make an error on not dense enough than too dense.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 8 months later...

Hello everyone, i really need some advice on deciding which solution to opt out for my hairloss , HT or Hair system?

I have been doing some research on hair systems for a month or so and reading most of the threads on the hair system on this platform. I even went to Custom Hair salon in my area to get to know the pricing details. one of them suggested Hair club and i even had my free consultation scheduled for tomorrow. i came back to this forum to search for reviews on Hair club salon and found some bad ones. I happened to clink on this link to read the review but after reading the comments i am worried whether i am doing the right thing by going through hair system way or not?

below is the thread am taking about