Are certain minoxidil brands more likely to work?

Hey guys. I'm currently using Ashley & Martin but am planning to stop as it is just too expensive. The Ashley & Martin minoxidil is 7%. I went to the chemist recently and there are a few different brands. I am trying to find a liquid one as opposed to the foam. I saw one called 'Hair A-gain' that I'm considering getting although it's only 5%? Are all Minoxidil brands likely to work or is there a certain brand I should purchase? Ashley & Martin is pricey so I assume they are good so would like to switch to a cheaper brand but at the same time it is still effective?

Thanks.

Wayne.

The carriers are mainly the same and the base ingredient is minox so there should be very little difference other than percentage and other throw in ingredients. Some like to hype up that their brand has other hair loss fighting products but minox is the one that has the testing and approval behind it so if you find it's working for you, just pick another topical minox and go with it, shouldn't be any drop off in performance.

• Administrators

As Mikey mentioned, the important proven ingredient is minoxidil. I will say this, I have found personally for me, I respond better to the liquid. I just feel liquid penetrates the scalp better. Some minoxidils can feel a bit greasy and take along time to dry. I personally use Lipogaine. I’ve found that cheaper minoxidils irritate my scalp and make my hair oily. But this is all personal preference, as long as you’re using minoxidil you should be fine.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I no longer use minoxidil but when I did, the liquid also worked better for me as compared to the foam.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

As others have already stated, the basic ingredients of each minoxidil brand are the same with some variation. The strength of the minoxidil depends on the percentage which all of them are usually 2% or 5%, 5% being the stronger of the two obviously. That said, some feel that certain brands may work better for them due to the delivery agent. For example, foam seems to absorb better into the scout then liquid so many prefer Rogaine foam. But I have heard some claim that certain liquid brands are superior in their delivery method than others… But I couldn’t tell you which ones those are. Frankly, I wonder if that more in somebody’s head then in reality.

Best wishes,

Bill

Forgot to mention that I used to use my fingertips to massage the liquid in the thin areas of my crown so that the minoxidil was thoroughly applied in the those areas.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY