Nadimi vs H&W vs Rahal - Consults

Hi folks. So I'm finally ready to take the plunge, live in Toronto Canada and have narrowed my short list to Dr. Nadimi in Chicago (of Konior fame), H&W in Vancouver, and Dr. Rahal in Toronto. My consults with each of them went like this:

Dr. Nadimi:

• FaceTime consult
  • Surgery in Chicago
  • 1500-2000 FUE grafts recommended, could be all the way up to 2400
  • Shes not entirely sure she can get 2400 FUE grafts from my donor area based on photos and not-so-great FaceTime connection
  • She will perform all extracts and most implants, will be there the entire time
  • Does not feel comfortable doing more than 2400 FUE in a session due to scalp blood supply and time that grafts need to be implanted by (~8 hours)
  • Uses latest tech, hybrid dull/sharp punch, learned everything from Konoir
  • Potentially a discount for future hair transplants
  • No official growth guarantee
  • Recommended to stay in Chicago for a week to get looked after by the clinic
  • Seems like a high end operation

Dr. Rahal (Aaron and Tara did the consult):

• Aaron started the consult and was decent, called in Tara in the middle who blew me away
  • In person consult
  • Surgery in Toronto
  • Measured a total of approx 5000 FUE grafts available in donor area
  • 2500-3000 FUE grafts recommended for 1st transplant of hairline, will likely need another 2500 down the road for crown and touch up, aiming for 45-50 follicles per square cm
  • Estimated Norwood 4-5 in the future
  • No issues doing 3000 FUE in 8 hours, they have done 4200 in a day before
  • Also uses latest hybrid dull/sharp punch tech
  • Rahal and Mike will perform the extractions, Rahal will make the incisions and someone other than Rahal will implant
  • Growth guarantee and free touch ups (not sure what the fine print is around this)
  • Discounted graft rate for future transplants
  • Patient care team access for a year
  • Suggested pairing with PRP

Hasson & Wong (James did the consult):

• In person consult
  • Surgery in Vancouver
  • 3000 FUE grafts recommended, possibly have 5000-6000 FUE grafts in donor area
  • 3000 FUE done over two days, they limit surgeries to about 2000 FUE per day
  • Recommended Dr. Hasson due to hairline objective (Wong more for crown work)
  • Each doctor has performed 10,000+ surgeries
  • Also uses latest hybrid dull/sharp punch tech, 0.85 punch size
  • Techs do the extraction and implantation, Hasson performs incisions
  • Estimated Norwood 5A future recession
  • Informal growth guarantee and free touch ups
  • Discounted future transplants
  • For out of town patients they offer free lodging (3 days), taxis to and from the airport, and a partial flight credit

I have to say, Rahal's team did the best sell job and I'm leaning that way.. but is 2500-3000 FUE too ambitious for one day? Am I risking hairs due to them rushing? I don't want to bias your opinion any more than that, but based on your experience on this forum, knowledge, what was said above and my pictures, what would you do? Any other insight or commentary you could offer before I make the plunge? Are there any other GTA doctors that I must absolutely check out? Hoping to finalize a decision in the next few days.

REALLY appreciate all the help and support you guys can give.

Thanks.

• Administrators

I am not familiar with Dr. Nadimi, however, I know she’s trained by one of the best. With that said, are you open to the thought of FUSS (strip) surgery. I feel H&W and Rahal alike have put out quality strip results for over a decade. You may be better suited for strip. I would also take a look at our recommendations in the “find a surgeon” tab on the top right corner. It may help you find the surgeon with the most consistent FUE results, if that’s the procedure you want. Best wishes

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I 2nd this opinion.

H&W and Rahal are in my top listed FUT clinics.

Even though I have seen nice FUE results they are not (yet) in my top at FUE.

I have never heard about your third option, but Konior is great so this clinic might be great too. I just wonder why the original is not on your list?

Anyway: I would go with H&W or Rahal but with FUT in your case. That would make sure that you have left enough donor for the future in case sth goes wrong and you could get a great result in one pass if it is going nice.

• Administrators
Thanks for the reply. Are you suggesting strip due to my specific hairloss situation or based on the doctors histories/competencies?

All three of these doctors are competent. I’m merely stating that you should research doctors, based on the amount of consistent results they have for the procedure you’re interested in. I’m not saying one is better than the other. As a patient myself, I researched patient threads, videos, before and after photos, and spoke with past patients. I encourage you to do the same. There’s no rush, you can research slowly. Consult with as many surgeons as possible. You will find a doctor that meets your personal criteria, and you feel comfortable with. Best wishes

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 4 weeks later...
Is Dr. Rahal doing surgery in Toronto now? I had gone for a consult a couple of years ago, and it was consult only in Toronto, surgery in Ottawa.

That used to be the case, but surgery is now performed in Toronto as well as Ottawa.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I have also had in-person consultations with H&W and Rahal. Just a little advice....Tara at Rahal is fantastic, H&W reps not so much, but you MUST see Dr. Rahal and Dr. Hasson in person before you make your decision. The docs will ultimately make the final call on your HT strategy and it will likely differ drastically from what you were originally told in the consultation (especially at H&W). Very frustrating and you may end up very disappointed!

• Like 1

Well thats scary. Can you elaborate please, I will only see Dr. Rahal the day before the surgery and I'm assuming I will have had to pay the entire balance by then.

For example, l was told by two H&W reps that l was a candidate for either FUE or FUT. However, upon meeting Dr. Hasson in person, he said absolutely no to FUT due to elasticity issues. Imagine if l had only learned this the day of my surgery!

At Rahal, l was quoted x number of grafts for FUE and FUT. When l met with Dr. Rahal in person at his clinic, he had a very different approach to my HT plan that resulted in much fewer grafts. Again, l would have been extremely upset to learn this on the day of my surgery.

Bottom line is had l booked my HT after only the rep assessments, l would have received entirely different recommendations/plans/expectations the day of my surgery. At least now l have met each doctor in person and l know exactly what to expect when l walk in.

Bottom line is had l booked my HT after only the rep assessments, l would have received entirely different recommendations/plans/expectations the day of my surgery. At least now l have met each doctor in person and l know exactly what to expect when l walk in.

I feel this is an important point that I've never seen discussed before. I live in the UK and have travelled to North America twice for surgery. I only book based on an online consultation, and both times estimates for grafts required have been significantly lower than what I walked out with as I have very fine hair. Luckily it was never an issue for myself, but for some people who budget tightly, they could end up walking out with less grafts than is required to meet their goals due to financial limitation.

Rahal strip and then the next session would be FUE and could put FUE in donor scar to make it virtually invisible. I just feel you’re gonna get way more bang for your buck with FUT first.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Too late lol. He doesn't do FUT in Toronto yet and apparently my scalp would need some serious massaging to handle it.

But if FUT is the better course of treatment for you then wait a few months to do scalp exercises and make time to go to Ottawa. HT disasters are a dime a dozen and you’re spending a lot of money. Don’t prioritize convenience over quality and long term goals.

No more hats,

I personally like your username… That’s exactly how I felt when I was seeking to restore my hair for the first time. I was tired of wearing hats because everybody knew I was wearing hats all the time to cover obvious baldness especially in the back. However, before I underwent my first hair transplant procedure, I had Lost pretty much everything on top that made my hair look thick and full. If it wasn’t for hair transplant surgery now, I would be completely bald on top and be forced to shave my head. Instead, I can grow my hair long as I want or cut it as short as I want and be able to style it very well.

That said, I also recall being in a similar position and deciding between Hasson and Wong and Dr. Rahal. I’m not familiar with the other doctor you mentioned, other than that she is Dr. Konior’s apprentice - which is certainly a good thing since Dr. Konior is top notch with an impeccable attention to detail.

The other three which includes Hasson, Wong and Rahal are outstanding. While I ended up going to Dr. Hasson, I would have trusted my scalp with either of them.

If you feel most impressed with Dr. Rahal, then he may be the best doctor for you. I am confident you will be very happy and ecstatic with his work and results.

Best wishes,

Bil

Edited by Bill - Managing Publisher

• 3 weeks later...
Good decision! Keep us posted on the outcome.

OK so just got back from my meet and greet with Dr. Rahal himself. Spent 20 minutes to measure my head, talk to me about my concerns, and gave me a recommendation, all while people were rushing him to get to his next appointment. Instead of rushing he was calm and stayed with me as long as I needed, which I respect greatly (maybe because I owe him 5 digits and the next guy didnt? lol). We confirmed the ~5000 graft donor availability, that 2800-3000 grafts could easily be done, and that 45ish follicles per square cm was achievable with that amount.

He checked my scalp elasticity and to my surprise said it was fine for FUT. Donor density also fine for FUT. However, he did notice that my skin scars with pigment, and also looked at an old booster shot scar on my shoulder which has grown in weird ways. There is also apparently an Asian predisposition to bad body skin healing leading to larger and more colored scars which he informed me of. So based on all that, he felt confident that the original FUE recommendation would suit me better. He also explained that in the last 2 years his practice has made great improvements on FUE technique (implanters, dull punch?, etc) and he sees zero difference now in terms of yield, density, shock loss etc between his FUT and FUE procedures. I'm not sure I buy this 100% but at least he said the words and seemed sincere.

Long story short I walked out mostly reassured and on track for my end of Aug surgery.

Funny aside, I also just had my eyes lasered, and I am that one guy you never hear about.. can't see properly and have to go back. So not feeling great with surgery odds at the moment.. if something is going to go wrong its going to go wrong with me. Fingers crossed guys.

Funny aside #2, the receptionist there is dressed like a club girl, reason to choose Rahal on its own.

OK so just got back from my meet and greet with Dr. Rahal himself. Spent 20 minutes to measure my head, talk to me about my concerns, and gave me a recommendation, all while people were rushing him to get to his next appointment. Instead of rushing he was calm and stayed with me as long as I needed, which I respect greatly (maybe because I owe him 5 digits and the next guy didnt? lol). We confirmed the ~5000 graft donor availability, that 2800-3000 grafts could easily be done, and that 45ish follicles per square cm was achievable with that amount.

He checked my scalp elasticity and to my surprise said it was fine for FUT. Donor density also fine for FUT. However, he did notice that my skin scars with pigment, and also looked at an old booster shot scar on my shoulder which has grown in weird ways. There is also apparently an Asian predisposition to bad body skin healing leading to larger and more colored scars which he informed me of. So based on all that, he felt confident that the original FUE recommendation would suit me better. He also explained that in the last 2 years his practice has made great improvements on FUE technique (implanters, dull punch?, etc) and he sees zero difference now in terms of yield, density, shock loss etc between his FUT and FUE procedures. I'm not sure I buy this 100% but at least he said the words and seemed sincere.

Long story short I walked out mostly reassured and on track for my end of Aug surgery.

Funny aside, I also just had my eyes lasered, and I am that one guy you never hear about.. can't see properly and have to go back. So not feeling great with surgery odds at the moment.. if something is going to go wrong its going to go wrong with me. Fingers crossed guys.

Funny aside #2, the receptionist there is dressed like a club girl, reason to choose Rahal on its own.

Hmmmm...so what’s the $$$$ difference in FUT vs FUE?? I know that I’ve ALWAYS heard Dr Rahal has way better FUT results. I have zero doubt about the mans skills ( ill be getting my second one from him sometime very soon)!!!

Just wondering about price. Dr Rahal is great. You made a great decision. !!!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website