ASMED 7 months on

Hey guy's, as a long term reader and first time poster I'd like to finally post some pictures of my progress since my transplant back on September 5th 2017. I was meaning to do a month by month update like a lot of people have but I avoided that.

Before having my surgery with ASMED I was very confident I’d get great results and I never really stressed or doubted the procedure because of their success rate and I told myself that I wouldn't need the reassurance of progress pictures because of the simple fact that it would work.

Unfortunately, I fell victim to doubt and started comparing my hair to other user's a few weeks ago and thought I wasted my money. I hadn’t really noticed any baby hairs growing and I do check it every now and then but unlike a lot of users where the newer hairs are obviously growing within, I just haven't gotten that. I did feel a few pricks in my hair a few months ago but that was it.

I contacted ASMED and sent some pictures and they assured me everything was proceeding fine. I didn't really believe it until I gathered some before and after pictures and looked directly at the progress.

Wow was I wrong. I mean the density isn't where I’d like it to be yet and it is quite frizzy at the moment but looking at my pictures I guess I didn’t realise how thin my hair was pre op. I would like to one-day push my hair back as I’ve been hiding the thinning with a side fringe but these pictures really made me appreciate where I might have been of not for the transplant. If you’ve heard about ASMED you know they’re great and very caring and I’d without a doubt recommend them to anyone looking to get a transplant too.

There are very few people who know about my surgery so I don’t have many people to talk to but I guess I’d like for this post to help encourage other people to stay positive and definitely keep up the progress pictures because I will from here on out.

5b32fb4474400_7months_Front.thumb.jpg.6fd556a1681d74db5974e62a8f66c739.jpg

5b32fb448af40_7months_Sides.thumb.jpg.1684e5fdfd1ea81f646c93eac8bb43e7.jpg

Hey guy's, as a long term reader and first time poster I'd like to finally post some pictures of my progress since my transplant back on September 5th 2017. I was meaning to do a month by month update like a lot of people have but I avoided that.

Before having my surgery with ASMED I was very confident I’d get great results and I never really stressed or doubted the procedure because of their success rate and I told myself that I wouldn't need the reassurance of progress pictures because of the simple fact that it would work.

Unfortunately, I fell victim to doubt and started comparing my hair to other user's a few weeks ago and thought I wasted my money. I hadn’t really noticed any baby hairs growing and I do check it every now and then but unlike a lot of users where the newer hairs are obviously growing within, I just haven't gotten that. I did feel a few pricks in my hair a few months ago but that was it.

I contacted ASMED and sent some pictures and they assured me everything was proceeding fine. I didn't really believe it until I gathered some before and after pictures and looked directly at the progress.

Wow was I wrong. I mean the density isn't where I’d like it to be yet and it is quite frizzy at the moment but looking at my pictures I guess I didn’t realise how thin my hair was pre op. I would like to one-day push my hair back as I’ve been hiding the thinning with a side fringe but these pictures really made me appreciate where I might have been of not for the transplant. If you’ve heard about ASMED you know they’re great and very caring and I’d without a doubt recommend them to anyone looking to get a transplant too.

There are very few people who know about my surgery so I don’t have many people to talk to but I guess I’d like for this post to help encourage other people to stay positive and definitely keep up the progress pictures because I will from here on out.

Its still a early to be judging density at month 7, the hair will thicken out over the next few months and will not stop till about month 18. It may be you are just a slow grower.

what were your stats out of interest, if you have normal thickness hair (c. 50-60 microns ) you need 100 hairs per sq cm in bald head to give the appearance of coverage, if you have think hair you need more, if you have thick hair clearly less.

1. Hair thickness in microns.

2. Hair to graft ratio average

3. Size of area transplanted and number of grafts transplanted

4. Are you on Propecia or similar?

5. Post all your asmed photos and stats so we can see what was done and where

To me you do not look that bad and perhaps 3000 hairs would give you a very good result assuming you have relatively thick hair and over 2.1 hairs per graft. But hard to judge withou the above information.

There is still another 3-4 months before you will have any idea of your final result. Particularly in relation to density.

Density does seem to be picking up.

I would wait until the year mark as the hair becomes thicker and similar characteristics to that of your native hair.

HT#1 - Dr. Rahal (Jan 2012) - 4700 grafts

HT#2 - Dr. Rahal (Jan 2014) - 1800 grafts

HT#3 - Dr. Konior (Jan 2018) - 1200 grafts

Hair thickness at 75 microns is way above average. Are you sure it is that high?

6160 hair over 80 cm2 is 77 hairs per sq cm. Which is not that high but your hair calibre at 75 microns is 40 per cent thicker than average so should help a lot. It also looks like you had some coverage there. From this I would say the stats look good. On top of this you are on the meds which is only going to help matters.

I would say lets see how it develops over next few months in terms of density before panicking. I have read a lot on here have been slow growers so you may well only be at 50% of the final result. Imagine another 50% growth would be enough to give you the appearance of a full head of hair.

You went to a very good clinic and it would be highly unusual for the final outcome to be 1. this early and 2. disappointing. Sit tight, do not worry about it - there is still time.

• 5 months later...

Hey all, it's been a while but It's now 13 months since I got my transplant at ASMED and I have to admit, my hair isn't quite where I hoped it would be!
Maybe my expectations are unrealistic but at t  he moment I'm not feeling like this was 100% successful. It's lacking in density and when I push it back or try to part it, there's still an obvious gap. I have to keep my hair pushed aside for it to sort of look normal. It's also still thin and frizzy. 

Post surgery I had so many more implants as seen in the image with my shaved head, but I'm not feeling like 90% of those implants have stayed like their grantee mentioned.

I of course, contacted ASMED and they mentioned that i'd need to wait a few more months for the density to thicken but I'm not sure that it's going to change that much.

Are my expectations too high or is there something wrong here? I'm just a little bummed out at the moment about it. 

Thanks

13 months.jpg

13 months_sides.jpg

Front.jpg

post.jpg

• Administrators

Can you post a picture of what you hair looks like styled? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Can you explain which photos are which it is not clear.

The five photos at the bottom of the first set look good. 

Styling and product used are key,  transplants can only create the is an illusion of coverage, not full coverage.  Have it too long and it will look thin.  Too short and it wont look right either.

Given you hair caliber and density implanted I would have expected more by now to be fair.  Though hair that is too long in direct light styled badly is going to look thin.

7 hours ago, harryhh said:

Styling and product used are key,  transplants can only create the is an illusion of coverage, not full coverage.  Have it too long and it will look thin.  Too short and it wont look right either.

Given you hair caliber and density implanted I would have expected more by now to be fair.  Though hair that is too long in direct light styled badly is going to look thin.

The fact that we can’t tell which are the befores and afters is worrying. I’m 2 just over 2 months in from my asmed by and I’m trying not to think too much about it.

8 hours ago, harryhh said:

The first 2 images are progress shots, at the bottom right are the dates by row, e.g row 1=5.7.17

The 3rd image is 13 months after thr transplant, that's how it looks now.

The 4th image is 2 week post surgeyr. That's what I expected...

41 minutes ago, kw877 said:

The fact that we can’t tell which are the befores and afters is worrying. I’m 2 just over 2 months in from my asmed by and I’m trying not to think too much about it.

Very concerning indeed...

14 hours ago, jonyny said:

I dont know if it helps but,i had my HT with asmed and after 18 it was still plugy,  but now at 23 months looks much better. maybe you should wait

Could I see what it looks like at the 12 month point vs the 23?

On 10/5/2018 at 1:14 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Can you post a picture of what you hair looks like styled? 

Hey Melvin, sorry for the delayed response. My hair is usually like this when I have it brushed to the side with a bit of product and hair spray. It looks okay in this picture but in any kind of direct light you can see gaps. You can even notice the thin area on the side of my side fringe. 
It's a little frizzy when I just leave it naturally so the gaps are wider. 
The surgery has no doubt given me some of my hair back and I'm grateful for that but not as much as it should have I think. 

121.jpg

• Administrators

Even the best hair transplants have weaknesses, remember hair restoration is not “true” density, but merely the “illusion” of density. If I pull apart my hair and stand under a beight light or wet it, it will without a doubt look thinner. I would caution you getting anymore hair transplanted in the front, it looks great styled and you want to save some grafts for future hair loss. 

Warm regards- Melvin

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 hours ago, jonyny said:

check my posts

Thanks for sharing your story. I've had a good read of your thread and I'm happy Asmed committed to helping you. Your hair looks so much more natural now. 

I just hope that my hair will change like they said in the coming months and that I can have a more confident hair line. 
I'll post results in a few months and let you guys know how it's going. 

18 hours ago, Payam said:

I don't understand how you could say this guy had high expectations, with 3000 grafts and 75 micron caliber he should be looking at much much more than that

I'm doubting the 90% grow back grantee too, which really sucks

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi there, sorry for the lack of updates but it's been a busy few months. Check out the attached images I took today. It should be noted that I got a haircut but I think it shows more clearly the density it has reached. 

It has now been 16 months since my transplant and honestly, I'm still not 100% satisfied with the results. The density has not reached what I had hoped or what I was told it would achieve. It's still quite thin at the front and i still have to push my hair aside to try and cover it up. People do still look up at my hair because they notice it's thinning so I know it's not just me. And as mentioned before it doesn't look like 3000 grafts at 75 caliber microns

But I should note that I don't regret getting it done. Looking back I can clearly see that if I had done nothing I wouldn't even have a hairline to brush and I'd be a lot more self conscious about going out if at all. It's clear to see how far my fringe has come in pre v. post image and I'd much rather be styling thin hair than not. 

My main issue comes with the 90% regrowth grantee. I, like a lot of us, have paid a lot of money to go overseas and see a top class surgeon but I just don't believe that this is 90% regrowth. Maybe You guys can weigh in?

But before you do PLEASE don't just tell me my hair looks good and not to worry about it. It looks lot better in the photos plus the hairs are still quite frizzy. This isn't just my expectation vs reality, I need an honest opinion if you think that this is 90% regrowth.

Lastly, I will share this page with ASMED now because when I brought up the density back in September they asked me to wait a few more months for the hairs to develop. 

Thanks!

16 months_sides.jpg

16 months.jpg

Pre_Post.jpg

A million times better from where you started and when styled it looks brilliant but I agree when pushed back it looks a little thin. You didn't just have a hairline case though and you did have 3000 over 70 cm2 which is about 40 grafts per cm2. Saying that I still think you should have had a bit more density in the hair line than what you ended up with. Pass them across to Asmed and see what they think? You did have quite a lot of miniaturization in the recipient area. Are you on Fin?

From my own experience I was only able to pull off the side combed look following my first procedure as well. I had 3200 grafts into the same region as you. 

Edited by DEB1982

First Transplant: 5000 FUE grafts with Dr Koray Erdogan ASMED, December 2016

First Hair Transplant link: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185564-5000-grafts-fue-13th-14th-december-asmed-dr-erdogan.html

Hair loss regime

Propecia 1mg daily

Saw Palmetto 450mg daily

Biotin 1000ug daily

MSM 1500mg daily

Pumpkin Seed Oil 1000mg daily

1% Nizoral shampoo weekly

Lasercomb x 3 weekly

Thanks Deb, I'm on Proscar as recommended by them at the time. It was reccomended last September to switch to fin but I still have two boxes of Proscar left and it seems like a waste to throw them out. Unless, of course, it makes that big of a difference?

Also, your hair looks amazing. I'm not yet daring enough to even go in the water as it is now. I might be needing a second procedure like you had if I want that. (Thats one hell of a regime you've got going!)

I’m sorry that this is your result :( I feel like mine is going to be the same, no new sprouts in the last 2 months and it’s really see through. I’m only around 5.5 months but have a good feeling I’m on track for the same as you, planetstephen, payam etc. with the thin / see through, low density hairline.

After having 3000 grafts in just my hairline, I’m really unhappy that so many grafts have been used for such a low yield. I’ll never get those grafts back. Right now I regret it so much :( 

You won't see decent results until about 11 months and you'll never notice new hairs popping up. I surely didn't so don't waste your time in the mirror counting specs.

One day you just kinda look at yourself in the mirror and notice it's looking better. 

Despite my posts I'm not upset about the hair that's grown, please don't take my tone through this thread as an unappreciative and regretful guy. It's not the case at all! There's no doubt that I'm in a much better position than I was. 

This is all just a matter of what should be. Plus your results will be different. The regrwoth stage is the worst and a lot of doubt is going to kick in but don't add to it. Be patient and see.

It's all good man! You've taken the right steps into fixing your problem so take a breather and loosen up!

• Thanks 1

I’m not sure u got 90% growth ..  since ur temples are still thin .. n ur hairline kinda see through still ..  an improvement from pre- surgery however. But I can see why u not satisfied .. technically , the 3000 grafts weren’t just to the hairline .. it’s ur whole frontal third.. almost half ur head .. so it was a lot of space to cover .. u got an average result .. I think u should go back to Asmed and get more grafts .. 

I agree with Legend, definitely better than where you were pre-op, density is lacking mainly directly in front and temples but you got good coverage for the amount of grafts, mid section looks nicely covered, an additional 1,000-1,500 directly in front to fill in the density would make this result great, but, that only matters if it bothers you, if you’re content with current results then more power to you.