Whats the risk of Necrosis

Dave100

Hi All,

I recently had a live consult with a reputable surgeon.

He outlined that he can transplant 2800 grafts into my forntal third to rebuild a hairline and get coverage to abt mid scalp. I am a nw5.

He did mention the risks of the transplant and one of them was necrosis.

Im just wondering how does one know if they are at risk and is there a specific time that the rsik is at its greatest eg. first few days.

Considering i have planned to do this surgery abroad do you think if i stay in the country for three weeks and visit the clinic and assuming everything is ok within this time frame would i still be at risk of developing possible necoriss?

Seeing pics of it is really frightening and I'd like to mitigate any chance of getting it.

Dave,

This is probably best suited for your hair transplant surgeon however, what I can tell you is that the risks or minimal if you have selected an outstanding surgeon. There are physiological risks that have nothing to do with the surgeon and then there are risks if the surgeon you have selected does something wrong or inappropriate during surgery. That’s why physician selection is vital.

As for when after the hair transplant that necrosis would appear, it would be during the healing phase so anywhere after the first couple weeks through the first couple of months would likely be when necrosis would show up if it’s going to happen. Now this is not medical information or device, I’m going by my memory here, so again, I’m encouraging you to check with your doctor he would be able to give you the most accurate information.

Best wishes,

Bill

Bill has said it all and I totally agree. It is very rare but the surgeon was right to inform you. They were just being very thorough with their information, which may have scared you but can only be seen as a good thing on their part.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

• 4 weeks later...

From my understanding, the risk of necrosis is small. However, it increases with dense packing as it can affect blood flow to an area. I believe smoking is also a risk factor.

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

• 1 month later...

Risk is still a risk and no one can predict if it happens to you or doesn’t.  It can totally mess up the procedure if it happens.    There are top surgeons that had patients document necrosis across forums.  Goal is to detect it aoon so it can probably be treated effectively then to have it treated later.  

Best of luck.