I smoked after hair transplant surgery

I smoked 1 cigarette before hair transplantation surgery day and took 6 mg of nicotine 2 after hair transplantation surgery and after one week I smoke 2 cigarette a day now it as been 3 weeks from day of surgery I am afraid now are my follicles affected will it affect my over all out come of hair transplantation.

naveenram15,

It is a big challenge for smokers after hair transplant surgery. While there have not been any studies done on hair surgery, we know from other general medical studies that smoking can and does hinder the healing process. One of the big issues right after transplantation is that the grafts have not yet established an adequate connection to the circulation. We try to do everything possible to improve the likelihood that grafts survive. (Grafts stay moist after surgery, they are placed as quickly as possible back into the scalp, ATP spray after surgery to increase oxygenation to the hair, etc).

The issue with smoking and surgery is that there is a chance that it will affect the overall results. The fact is that occasionally after surgery the results are not as we expect. Usually, there is poorer overall result or there are thinner areas here and there. Smoking increases the chance that there can be a poor outcome. The chances are still good that a smoker with have a great outcome. Still, the chances are also slightly higher that if the patient has a bad outcome, it might be connected to smoking.

At Shapiro Medical Group, we try to do everything to reduce the chance of a poor outcome. As mentioned before, we add many things to surgery to improve on this rate of success. The patient also plays an important part in increasing the chance of a great result. Stopping smoking or greatly reducing it is one of the things they can do. In reality, it is very difficult for a smoker to quit. For those patients, I recommend cutting down and/ or nicotine replacement. It looks like you did a great job of holding off for the first week. The longer you can hold off, the better. After that, within reason do your best to cut it down. Because of all you invested in your hair at this point, it may also be a great reason to quit!

Good Luck.

Great medical advice from the doctor above. As someone who has smoked and who seems to be sensitive to nicotine, I can say that there's a big difference between smoking only a couple a day and a full habit. There's a real difference in how the nicotine will affect the body. Just don't let 2 cigarettes become 20. It's easily done.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I particularly like the last part the Dr. Josephitis mentioned... You've invested so much time and money into your hair transplant, and setting yourself up for the best possible outcome possible could be enough to motivate you to quit smoking altogether. Your overall health will thank you. Good luck with whatever you choose! :)

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56