Density pass question

Something I’ve been wondering in general: Is it possible to get a density pass that’s so modest — like 200 grafts for the frontal third — that you can do it unshaven and with the new hairs spaced out enough so it doesn’t trigger a full-on inflammatory response that results in weeks of redness and shedding your existing native and transplanted hair? Basically a second HT without going through the nightmarish ugly duckling stage. Is that possible or unrealistic?

Mr. Crankyhair,

Is this to avoid shedding of the native hair, the transplanted hair or both? Few grafts can result in less redness as that is directly correlative to the amount of trauma. This is also related to your skin tone as fair skin is redder longer than skin that is less fair.

Shedding of transplanted hair is simply a part of the process and the act of transplanting hair itself is what causes the shed. The follicles are separated from the blood supply and it takes up to three days for new vasculature to form to properly deliver needed nutrients. This triggers the turn to catagen then telogen. Sometimes the shed does not arrive but it is unpredictable and is the exception when it does not happen, not the rule.

The degree of native hair shedding simply depends on how much native hair is present and must be worked within during the procedure.

Sorry let me clarify that: When I wrote about avoiding shedding the transplanted hair, I meant the hair transplanted from the first HT that's now grown in (but is technically not native)...obviously the newly transplanted hair would shed....

• Administrators

If you’re fair skinned and pale, creating 200 sites at the hairline would most likely cause some redness. Keeping the hair long will make it more difficult for the surgeon, the possibility of shock loss increases when the head is not shaved, it’s much easier to create sites and transplant hair on a shaved head. That’s why most clinics that offer this no shave service charge more for it. Not worth it for 200 grafts IMO.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

If it were me, I would wait and go for the larger session to make it more worth my time and end result...:cool:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

200 grafts won't make a particularly worthwhile cosmetic difference for you, I'd hold off until more donor can be used.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

200 grafts is an extremely small number. Unless you have a very small area to target then that kind of number won't make a difference. If you want to add density to your frontal third then you'll need a much higher number. You're probably looking at adding a zero to that number. As a second procedure, perhaps less.

I can see that your point is more about shedding and how to conceal that you've had a procedure. Transplanted hairs are much more resilient to shockloss than native hairs and in the vast majority of cases will start to grow back as any clipped hair will. Most surgeons will want to shave the area as that's the best way of going about it.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

They usually want to shave the area in order to avoid transection.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY