Will you always need/want more than one HT?

To be specific I'm not referring to 5-10 years down the line when you've experienced further loss, I'm talking right after your first HT you're already planning your next one.

Let's say for example you only have moderate loss in the scheme of things (NW2-3 and less than 3,000 grafts) and you have work just to restore temples and lower hairline. Are you expecting too much that the first go around will give you adequate density and coverage? Or is it almost always a case that you'll have to go for a second to get that?

Acknowledged everyone's needs and goals differ but asking in general, and yes I am using myself as an example. I'm hoping the FUE I had will blend in with my native hair, obviously it will never reach the same density but the illusion of that is what I'm after.

To be specific I'm not referring to 5-10 years down the line when you've experienced further loss, I'm talking right after your first HT you're already planning your next one.

Let's say for example you only have moderate loss in the scheme of things (NW2-3 and less than 3,000 grafts) and you have work just to restore temples and lower hairline. Are you expecting too much that the first go around will give you adequate density and coverage? Or is it almost always a case that you'll have to go for a second to get that?

Acknowledged everyone's needs and goals differ but asking in general, and yes I am using myself as an example. I'm hoping the FUE I had will blend in with my native hair, obviously it will never reach the same density but the illusion of that is what I'm after.

You might want to read this thread.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/152638-growth-number-sessions.html

Yes ironically that video from Spex is what drove me to make this thread. More out of curiosity than anything.

I guess what confuses me is, I've seen lots of before and afters from clinics and patients themselves with similar HL patterns (around that NW 2.5 mark) and some of the end results look incredible and completely natural, if my result turned out anything like that I'd be ecstatic. And these were first time HLT patients as well.

The impression I get though, is that it's rare for someone to be satisfied after their first HT which strikes me as a bit odd given the above.

Yes ironically that video from Spex is what drove me to make this thread. More out of curiosity than anything.

I guess what confuses me is, I've seen lots of before and afters from clinics and patients themselves with similar HL patterns (around that NW 2.5 mark) and some of the end results look incredible and completely natural, if my result turned out anything like that I'd be ecstatic. And these were first time HLT patients as well.

The impression I get though, is that it's rare for someone to be satisfied after their first HT which strikes me as a bit odd given the above.

It all depends upon your age and how aggressive is your baldness. Say if you are in the mid or early 20's and NW 2.5, then for sure after few years you would most likely need another HT compared to someone who is NW 2.5 in his mid 30's with less aggressive baldness. But if you are referring to just being happy after first HT, then its very rare. Since you are bound to compare yourself with your previous natural hair density which is an unrealistic target. Also there are other factors like how good is your donor area and the quality/thickness of your existing hair. Last but not the least, the skill of the doctor matters a lot.

Do remember while browsing the internet, There are results that few doctors post can have patients with hair system in the post HT picture and not exactly the result of the HT, so It's very difficult to judge just by a before and after picture. Therefore do not have a very high expectation.

I just got my first HT done 2 days back, so I will be happy if it is anything closer to my existing hair density.

It's been about 3 1/2 years since I addressed my hairline recession, and I don't foresee wanting a second HT in the near future... But I do expect that that day will come at some point, just hopefully later rather than sooner. For now though, as a guy whose hair loss at the time was primarily in the front (with slightly decreased density in the crown), I'm extremely satisfied with where I am.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Yes.

No one just gets 1 session.

Hair greed is real : http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/155746-hair-greed.html

Regards

Spex

Thanks Spex, I'd consider you one of the most well informed posters on this board so I put a lot of weight into your opinion.

Do you think the motivation to go for a 2nd session is becuase the first result gives a subpar look that needs addressing to look natural? Or is it more about taking something that looks 'good' to make it look 'great'? If the latter that makes more sense to me about hair greed.

For me, if I spent the money on a HT and go through the discomfort of surgery, flying overseas and the long wait for results for it to produce hair that looks like its thinning or not blending in, which is noticeable to others. And having to go back for another session to get it looking acceptable, then I'd be knocking on my surgeons door asking for some answers.

For most patients, the first procedure is intimidating, not just because of the surgery, but because of the experience. There are many questions that patients have that can only truly be answered through first hand experience.

Once the first result has had time to manifest properly the prospect of a second procedure is more appealing. The second visit may not seem so daunting since a relationship has been formed and returning would be more familiar. The second visit is many times due to fears and concerns about the procedure overall being allayed and the patient is free to explore their "greed" to find perfection.

For most patients, the first procedure is intimidating, not just because of the surgery, but because of the experience. There are many questions that patients have that can only truly be answered through first hand experience.

Once the first result has had time to manifest properly the prospect of a second procedure is more appealing. The second visit may not seem so daunting since a relationship has been formed and returning would be more familiar. The second visit is many times due to fears and concerns about the procedure overall being allayed and the patient is free to explore their "greed" to find perfection.

Thanks Dr. Bhatti. Per my earlier question, is the greed aspect more about adding density to a result that looks thin or unnatural? Or just refining a result that already looks good and taking to to 'great' so to speak?

I went with Dr Bisanga in Belgium just to do my temples and reenforce my hairline (where there are hairs already) and lower it just slightly. I researched a tonne of his before and afters on this site and elsewhere and the density of his results for most of his first time patients was a big reason I went with him also. I don't mind a few years down the line getting another transplant, but I'd be disappointed if all the effort that went into this first procedure have results that looks thin or still balding.

I'm with you on this Benny, and I'm also considering Dr Bisanga, and having researched pretty much every result of his on this website over the weekend I too am confused as to the so called needing of a 2nd hair transplant in all cases.

Some of the 1st time results of his look incredible and dense enough, I'm told I only need 1800 grafts and my density is 120 / 120 / 90 so I would be a bit gutted if my results were not good enough that I "needed" a 2nd pass, the worry in my case is I have dark hair and pale skin.

I'll be following your story.

• 1 month later...

One of the main reasons I find people needing a 2nd HT is that MPB is progressive in nature, and you can only ever treat present hair loss. So while you can get fantastic results that leave you in great shape, there's a very strong chance that you will continue to lose more hair and thus eventually need a followup procedure.

Of course "hair greed", refinement, and sometimes simply being a more advanced case that will need multiple procedures regardless are all also very valid reasons for getting that 2nd procedure (at least)... But I would rank progressive hair loss at the top of the list - which is why it's always a good idea to mentally prepare for this.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

One of the main reasons I find people needing a 2nd HT is that MPB is progressive in nature, and you can only ever treat present hair loss. So while you can get fantastic results that leave you in great shape, there's a very strong chance that you will continue to lose more hair and thus eventually need a followup procedure.

Of course "hair greed", refinement, and sometimes simply being a more advanced case that will need multiple procedures regardless are all also very valid reasons for getting that 2nd procedure (at least)... But I would rank progressive hair loss at the top of the list - which is why it's always a good idea to mentally prepare for this.

Agreed on the progressive hair loss being a main factor in that 2nd procedure.

I think OP was more referring to guys basically booking in their second HT atriaght after the results of the first one have materialised. In which case I've read more than enough accounts of guys being happy with their first procedure and not feeling the need to go in again (apart from years down the road with progressive MPB)..

I have dark hair and only 1 procedure. I was a NW 2.5. I'm going on 6 years post OP.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

it's like a drug man...

hair transplants provide "the illusion of density"

so i think generally once you see what a hair tranplant does

turning back the clock

yes down the line you will want more

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.