31yrs Male, NW-3V - 5 Rivers - FUE HT experience with Dr Bhatti

Background:

I am 31 years old North Indian working in Pune, have been losing hair for the past 5 years. I have tried using both Minoxidil and Finpecia for about a year and then stopped about 6 months back, as I just couldn't see myself doing it any further for the rest of my life. I'm not sure if it did stop my hair loss or helped regrow some of them, as there was nothing noticeable to my eye.

Researching:

I’m glad I found this forum, the forum provided me a vast data of other patient's doctor reviews and their HT journeys.After extensive reading for about 2 years, I decided to get a HT done, so it finally came down between Dr Bhatti and Dr Lorenzo, cost wasn’t an important factor, I believe in quality but Chandigarh City, being my home town and its much easier to meet Dr Bhatti and rest post HT, I opted for Dr Bhatti. Special thanks to Shera for his work on this forum.

Email communication:

I dropped an email to Dr. Bhatti around a month ago after getting his details from his website. He responded asking for some pics of my head. After seeing them, he estimated that I’d need around 1500 grafts for the front, 1000 grafts to cover my crown for a natural look as per my age. My hair other than the balding spot is reasonably thick, I have attached the before pictures to give a fair idea. I bombarded him with lot of questions and he responded to every single one of them and then finally fixed my HT for 16th April after an advance payment to block the date. Dr. Bhatti sent me a pre-OP instruction manual for me to go through. Do note, I did not opt for any hotel/guest house, as I have my own house in Chandigarh.

Consultation:

I landed at Chandigarh few days before my HT, as I had 14th April (Saturday) as my consultation date to discuss in person with Dr Bhatti at his newly built 5 River Hospital, Mohali to agree on hairline and get other blood tests done as part of pre-op. I gave my blood sample at Amulya Labs, located on the ground floor of 5 Rivers Hospital itself. Dr Amulyajit - she is Dr Bhatti’s wife, Dr Sharin (I think I might have misspelt her name) and Alex at the reception were really kind and caring and walked me through all the tests that I needed. They mentioned the reports will be sent over by email the same day (but for some reason I did not receive it)

After Dr Bhatti examined me in person at 10:45am, I was told I would need 1000 grafts for the front and 1200 grafts for my crown. He drew me a hairline which was much lower than I was expecting, but he said it would look better on my face. I consulted with my parents who were with me, we agreed on the hairline but he still asked me to think it over the weekend before HT day. I was given few tablets that I needed to take a night before the HT (they were anti Anxiety, anti acid and another one which I don’t remember what it was for) and was asked to have only milk or juice and be ready at 7.30 AM for the pickup from my home.

HT - Day 1:

I was picked up by clinic driver Mr. Chanchal (he drove well and was fun to talk with as well) at 7:30am today. On reaching the clinic, I was made to change into OT clothes and deposit my valuable items like phone, cards etc. I had to sign few papers and pay approx. 80% before the operation (they do accept cards). A guy (didn’t get his name) tested me by inserting sample dose of antibiotic via needle in my hand to check if Im not allergic. I then reviewed the new hairline with Dr Bhatti for the final time before he trimmed my hair (a moment of shock to see myself bald for the first time, but to be honest didn’t look to bad :P ). On asking Dr Bhatti that I did not receive the lab report, he did mention the lab reports were all okay and we are good to proceed. Procedure started around 9am after injecting anaesthesia to my donor area, Dr Bhatti proceeded to harvest my grafts from the donor area. The harvesting machine drilled into my semi-numb scalp and the doctor extracted the grafts – which was not completely painless unfortunately (In my case the anaesthesia did not work in some part of my scalp even after increasing the dosage, this has happened with me before in my only other operation (tonsillitis)- that’s just my sour relation with anaesthesia smh). During harvesting, Dr Bhatti tried to strike a conversation to help me divert my mine, but the drill was still sort of painful but I was strong enough to bear it. After Harvesting was completed around 11’ish, my donor area was bandaged, we took a break for breakfast. Ate sandwich with juice (yummy) along with a toilet break.

After breakfast, Dr Bhatti resumed in punching holes in my upper forehead (not sure about the technical term for it) for my hairline, which took quite a while before Plantation of the grafts was done by his staff, a total of 4 nurses (from what I could make out) – Sonam, Ankush, Manpreet and the other did not have a visible name tally. But the nurse staff was really kind and caring and kept on checking with me in between If Im okay, we had punjabi radio station in the background. I was not chatty due to the pain.

After the plantation for my hairline was completed, we took lunch break around 2:15pm. I was given a Pizza and coke. FYI, Pizza preference was noted before the surgery started.

Post lunch around 2:45pm, Dr Bhatti came back, this time for punching holes in my crown area (which btw did hurt) and then once he was done with it, the nursing staff took over for planting the grafts on my crown. Arushi came to check on me between the procedure, stating that it shouldn’t take much longer and Im almost at the end of it. The procedure finally finished around 4:30pm

After the surgery was completed, Sonam took me in-front of a mirror and a chair, where Dr Bhatti came and explained me on how to use the saline lotion, antiseptic spray before wearing the bandana etc. He then changed my dressing for the donor area. Was again handed couple of tablets including pain killer for the first day and was asked to visit the clinic the next day at 9:30am for changing my dressing. Dr Bhatti would then explain me on how to take care of myself thereafter.

Before leaving Shalini then asked one of the guy to make me some tea, which I had. after which I changed into my normal clothes. Was handed over my personal belongings. I forgot to take note of the number of singles, doubles and triples, will remember to do that tomorrow.

I now have to manage day one which is critical, so far so good just got a bit of swelling on my forehead and it hurts if I touch it.

Will keep this post updated. Wish me luck guys ;)

Side.thumb.jpg.f59897807b8138e97e3192878b6ea7de.jpg

front.thumb.jpg.6fcbfdc8cf8914b64400fbdd27921190.jpg

Forehead.thumb.jpg.7dfa03cfb4536560602093367f114a91.jpg

Vertex.thumb.jpg.a56d8fdc89602efe3d8570565395c95f.jpg

5b32fb05cc8db_PostDay1-crown.thumb.jpg.62ddd6e67fc37bc8c1afdf1c86953363.jpg

5b32fb05ef477_PostDay1-Hairline.thumb.jpg.c501b5471799cd2ae12d0350c9f1357a.jpg

Edited by swiftwindwalker

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 2:

I slept around 4:00am on a La-Z Boy recliner with a pillow made of hand towel behind my neck (to avoid my transplanted crown to touch the couch),I was scared to sleep thinking I would knock off the transplanted grafts. I woke up at 8:00am and sprayed the saline water (need to do that every 2hr for another 2-3 days I think). Visited Dr Bhatti’s hospital for changing the donor dressing at 9:30am. After getting my dressing changed by the nurse, she along with Shalini explained and demonstrated me on how to take care of my hair (cleansing/washing) for the next 2 weeks and medications that I would need to take. I was given a bag full off saline solution, medicines, shampoo, aloe vera solution along with a small booklet that is sort of a readme manual. They also handed over a letter signed by Dr Bhatti that would allow me to carry these medicines on flight, airport authority at Chandigarh airport would not allow otherwise. I met Dr Bhatti for a little over a minute, while he examined my scalp and said I was good to go and shook his hand. He asked me I can always reach out to him over email or phone whenever needed.

Before I left, I did manage to ask Shalini regarding my exact graft count.

a. Singles - 343

b. Doubles - 1443

c. Triples - 421

Total Grafts - 2207

Midscalp - 1009

Crown - 1198

There is no change in the scalp today, except it looks a bit cleaner than yesterday.

I will be visiting the hospital tomorrow to remove my dressing (although I could do it myself, but I rather let the experts do it)

Congrats on your HT!

I did read your other thread. So you did end up getting the hairline work in addition to the crown after all. It looks good.

You chose an excellent surgeon as I’ve seen a lot of good work from Dr. Bhatti.

HT#1 - Dr. Rahal (Jan 2012) - 4700 grafts

HT#2 - Dr. Rahal (Jan 2014) - 1800 grafts

HT#3 - Dr. Konior (Jan 2018) - 1200 grafts

Congrats on your HT!

I did read your other thread. So you did end up getting the hairline work in addition to the crown after all. It looks good.

You chose an excellent surgeon as I’ve seen a lot of good work from Dr. Bhatti.

Thanks Razzy, Yes - doctor convinced me that it would look good on my face with a lower hairline, and now that I have shaved all my head, I kinda like this new look as well and I feel comfortable with it. Now Im not scared of going complete bald in future :D

Hi Swiftwindwalker,

Congratulations on your hair transplant surgery.

If you have any queries or concerns over the coming months then please feel free to contact me too.

I wish you all the best and I look forward to your updates.

Hi Swiftwindwalker,

Congratulations on your hair transplant surgery.

If you have any queries or concerns over the coming months then please feel free to contact me too.

I wish you all the best and I look forward to your updates.

Thanks Shera. I'm at the moment struggling on how to shampoo my transplanted area even though I was given a demo, will goto hospital tomorrow again to get a repeat demo :o

I applied the saline water first to dampen the area and then took the sterilised gauze and added 2-3 drops of the pink shampoo on it and dabbed it on the transplanted area. Pour some saline water again to wash it off and used another clean sterilised gauze to dry it off by dabbing it. But I feel itchy (resisting to touch/scratch), not sure what did I do wrong.

Will post new pictures once my dressing is removed tomorrow.

Thanks Shera. I'm at the moment struggling on how to shampoo my transplanted area even though I was given a demo, will goto hospital tomorrow again to get a repeat demo :o

I applied the saline water first to dampen the area and then took the sterilised gauze and added 2-3 drops of the pink shampoo on it and dabbed it on the transplanted area. Pour some saline water again to wash it off and used another clean sterilised gauze to dry it off by dabbing it. But I feel itchy (resisting to touch/scratch), not sure what did I do wrong.

Will post new pictures once my dressing is removed tomorrow.

Hi, you will itch at this stage but you must resist the temptation to give your scalp a good scratch. You are welcome to use the clinic facilities whilst you are in Chandigarh, another demo or more is welcomed.

By the sounds of it you are doing everything right. You could try to rinse a bit more with the saline. But like I said, it is natural to feel some itchiness.

Hi, you will itch at this stage but you must resist the temptation to give your scalp a good scratch. You are welcome to use the clinic facilities whilst you are in Chandigarh, another demo or more is welcomed.

By the sounds of it you are doing everything right. You could try to rinse a bit more with the saline. But like I said, it is natural to feel some itchiness.

I got my donor dressing removed, the itchiness is sort of unbearable now. Im using the saline solution to just cool it down, but its affecting my sleep :( hoping that it goes away soon.

Day 3:

I got my donor area bandage removed after visiting the clinic in the morning.

Attaching pictures of my donor area, crown and the front. I don't have any pain as such, except for a bit of stretchy feeling on the donor, but not something that is too uncomfortable. I do have swelling on my forehead (as I could not religiously follow the rule to not look down) and also being irritated by the itchiness on my scalp. Gotten used to sleeping on the couch, but the itch just killed my sleep last night.

I'm still continuing with the prescribed medication along with 2hrs saline spray and shampooing twice a day with applying cream on the donor area, the booklet provided by Dr Bhatti is really helpful and I don't have to test my memory to remember what to do when.

The hospital staff was really helpful, and demonstrated me how to shampoo my hair. Apparently I was doing it right, the shampoo provided is not supposed to lather, which is what confused me.

Will update the thread in next few days.

IMG_6747.thumb.jpg.3c05e510bfde54c0c2f7040f3c9363cb.jpg

IMG_6745.thumb.jpg.9d37a838be6d106d00e2a09da930bbbc.jpg

IMG_6743.thumb.jpg.ef4b235efb18fb1f76f4ad259928b84f.jpg

Day 3:

I got my donor area bandage removed after visiting the clinic in the morning.

Attaching pictures of my donor area, crown and the front. I don't have any pain as such, except for a bit of stretchy feeling on the donor, but not something that is too uncomfortable. I do have swelling on my forehead (as I could not religiously follow the rule to not look down) and also being irritated by the itchiness on my scalp. Gotten used to sleeping on the couch, but the itch just killed my sleep last night.

I'm still continuing with the prescribed medication along with 2hrs saline spray and shampooing twice a day with applying cream on the donor area, the booklet provided by Dr Bhatti is really helpful and I don't have to test my memory to remember what to do when.

The hospital staff was really helpful, and demonstrated me how to shampoo my hair. Apparently I was doing it right, the shampoo provided is not supposed to lather, which is what confused me.

Will update the thread in next few days.

I don't want to criticize but is it me or does it seem the grafts are too far apart?

I have attached picture of your Hairline and Dr Rahal work for comparison.

Anyways I hope your hair caliber can make up for it!

Do keep us updated

IMG_6747.thumb.jpg.3e03246b6581b93ba1c15cc11e84c37a.jpg

tn_same20day20post20op.jpg.9f3003f05a59a10d5dc40f4820f6075a.jpg

I don't want to criticize but is it me or does it seem the grafts are too far apart?

I have attached picture of your Hairline and Dr Rahal work for comparison.

Anyways I hope your hair caliber can make up for it!

Do keep us updated

I appreciate your view mate, but now that you have mentioned I do see few of them are apart and have spaces between them. My donor area has more than average thick hair so Im assuming it could be one of the reasons and also only 1000 grafts were needed for my huge forehead and reconstructing the hairline. Fingers crossed.

Thanks mate, will keep the thread updated :)

Day 5:

Had an unbearable pain in my donor area throughout the day which restricted my movement and work, it wasn't the pain of stretching of the scalp due to healing. It felt more like a throbbing pain i.e. pulsating sensation that comes and goes rapidly, It sends waves of pain through the donor area and can in between sometime also feel like needle pricking sensation on my donor area, the pain elevated during the night which made it impossible for me to sleep properly. I did search on the forum regarding the donor area pain felt by others after 4-5 days of HT, turns out it is not that uncommon and felt by many after a FUE procedure. It is related to nerves being healed.Unluckily I wasn't having any pain killers with me, so had to sleep with the pain (barely slept for an hour though).

Day 6:

I visited Dr Bhatti's hospital today morning instead of medicating myself, luckily he was working and explained him the pain I was going through. As per him the pain was due to the nerve and can take upto 3 more days to feel alright. He asked me to take a painkiller along with Lyrica. After taking the mediciation, I'm feeling much better now.

Apart from the pain, I can feel the swelling on my face and eyes has reduced significantly (no more chinese eye), but there is still some swelling on my temples and cheeks. There is still redness on my crown and donor area (don't feel it has healed yet), the hairline area feels much better compared to the two.

As advised have stopped spraying 2 hourly saline solution and will begin shampooing along with foaming for 5mins from tomorrow onwards.

Will update soon, for now going to catch up some sleep. Thanks for reading ;)

5b32fb2a15dcc_Day6-Donor.thumb.jpg.16a5d019207c836d74272891e377cea2.jpg

5b32fb2a31eb7_Day6-Hairline.thumb.jpg.824a0a9e21446ce1e7884b0aef35ec6f.jpg

5b32fb2a547b9_Day6-Crown.thumb.jpg.9463d8641594cf4529b4774846b1fdb9.jpg

Day 7:

Had to take an extra Lyrica pill to put me into sleep last night, as the pain was intolerable. Slept for 12hrs straight thereafter :D , and had a really good sleep. The pain is less today, but the strange part about the pain is, it gets aggravated in the night - keeping my fingers crossed that I won't be needing Lyrica tonight.

As advised I did wash my scalp with shaving cream (had a hard time removing the froth), felt really good and clean afterwards.

Day 8: Nothing much visibly changed, last day on the pain killer and Lyrica. Hoping I won't be needed it again. Continued with the shampoo regime, started taking Finasteride along with Biotin which I will be continuing to take for the next 6 months.

Day 9: First day without the pain killer and Lyrica, will only hope it doesn't hurt at night. I do notice that my donor area is still sensitive when I touch it, the pain that I experienced before due to nerve damage has lessened, or maybe the pain killers from the night have still not worn out. Donor area has healed quite a bit and its still redish-pink. Hair apart from the transplanted area has grown a bit (thank god). Good news - finally some of the scab started to fall from the transplanted area along with the hair and white thingy around it and from what I have read, there needs to be no concern as it is quite normal, just crossing my fingers that it is all clean before I rejoin work. Attaching pictures from day 9 i.e. today.

IMG_6948.thumb.jpg.dad2c00924ba191cdf9507379dc87fcf.jpg

IMG_6928.thumb.jpg.ce1ffe4bf7e6bc251a27af88bf803c8a.jpg

IMG_6929.thumb.jpg.efb163d410cf4e1fc5e212fb7afab138.jpg

IMG_6944.thumb.jpg.38195e64cfac119c1b25b83e67adb396.jpg

grammar

Hi Swift,

It's very rare that patients feel so much pain, I've only ever had one guy before who had similar symptoms to you and taking the painkillers for a week or so was fine. I always advise patients to take extra painkillers with them just in case.

Hopefully you should be fine now. You will get some slight discomfort in the donor area as the nerves continue to repair themselves. I remember getting used to a shooting lightning sensation from time to time, I actually kind of missed it when it suddenly stopped.

Give it a few more days and then whilst washing you will be able to gently massage the crusts when they are wet and soft in a circular motion to help dislodge them. By day 14 you should be more or less scab free.

Have a read of the link below,

PROBLEMS THAT MIGHT OCCUR & HOW TO TACKLE THEM - Darling Buds Hair Transplant Center

You might find it useful in alleviating any worries that may arise.

Hi Swift,

It's very rare that patients feel so much pain, I've only ever had one guy before who had similar symptoms to you and taking the painkillers for a week or so was fine. I always advise patients to take extra painkillers with them just in case.

Hopefully you should be fine now. You will get some slight discomfort in the donor area as the nerves continue to repair themselves. I remember getting used to a shooting lightning sensation from time to time, I actually kind of missed it when it suddenly stopped.

Give it a few more days and then whilst washing you will be able to gently massage the crusts when they are wet and soft in a circular motion to help dislodge them. By day 14 you should be more or less scab free.

Have a read of the link below,

PROBLEMS THAT MIGHT OCCUR & HOW TO TACKLE THEM - Darling Buds Hair Transplant Center

You might find it useful in alleviating any worries that may arise.

It seems Im the unlucky one, anaesthetics don't work well on me for some reason - had a similar experience with anaesthetics during my tonsillitis surgery - woke up multiple times, and maybe due to this during the HT procedure I asked Dr. Bhatti I would need extra dosage and that could have caused this nerve damage. But it is really painful, even though I do have a very high pain tolerance level.

The transplanted hair falling from now on should be alright I suppose, right? I was trying to remove it with the pointed corner of the sterilised gauze as it looked the crust was floating on top of the hair. I think I should stop doing that after what you have mentioned, will do it post 14 days.

Thanks for the link mate, think the link has the same content as that of the booklet that was handed over.

The transplanted hair falling now is fine, the actual grafts are firmly embedded and are in the process of producing the new hairs. And...yes, just wait another day or so and then follow my instructions.

The transplanted hair falling now is fine, the actual grafts are firmly embedded and are in the process of producing the new hairs. And...yes, just wait another day or so and then follow my instructions.

I tried the circular massaging today, got plenty of hair that came off along with the scabs. Attaching the pics in my next update post. Just a small query, after how many days did you start sleeping normally without the neck pillow and in any position? 2 weeks good enough?

I tried the circular massaging today, got plenty of hair that came off along with the scabs. Attaching the pics in my next update post. Just a small query, after how many days did you start sleeping normally without the neck pillow and in any position? 2 weeks good enough?

The neck pillow is usually just used for the first night or two to help a patient sleep upright in the chair. I always advise patients to move the chair next to the bed too so they can rest their legs on the bed, it makes things a lot easier.

Then you are free to sleep on the bed, you can use the neck pillow when sleeping on the bed if it offers you comfort. In answer to your question, ditch the neck pillow when you feel you no longer need it. If it adds to your comfort then keep using it by all means, its your choice.

Day 10: I did take the painkiller along with the Lyrica to get myself to sleep on day 9 :( I tried resisting the pill as long as I could and battled with myself till 4am which is when I gave up as the donor area was still hurting along with uncomfortable shooting pain and I needed to get some sleep before it was too late. I did however slept without the pain killer and lyrica on day 10 - an achievement :cool:, even though my donor is still sensitive, but the shooting pain has disappeared :D continuing with the shampoo regime and Finasteride/Biotin.

Day 11: I tried removing the scabs from the transplanted area after washing it off with shaving foam, although few hairs did fall attached with the crust. Attaching the pictures for reference.

IMG_6999.thumb.jpg.0504ec8b0aae5c89de835d346812b358.jpg

IMG_7004.thumb.jpg.933896bd70b526d289c1bb3461469463.jpg

The neck pillow is usually just used for the first night or two to help a patient sleep upright in the chair. I always advise patients to move the chair next to the bed too so they can rest their legs on the bed, it makes things a lot easier.

Then you are free to sleep on the bed, you can use the neck pillow when sleeping on the bed if it offers you comfort. In answer to your question, ditch the neck pillow when you feel you no longer need it. If it adds to your comfort then keep using it by all means, its your choice.

Thanks Shera, was worried about my transplanted hair touching the bed and getting knocked off. I will ditch the neck pillow after completing 2 weeks then, hopefully by then no damage can be done.

• Administrators

The nerve endings are still repairing themselves, pain in the donor area subsidies typically by day 14+ things should be improving each day in terms of donor area pain. In the meantime have you asked Dr. Bhatti if it is ok to apply aloe vera? It helped me.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

The nerve endings are still repairing themselves, pain in the donor area subsidies typically by day 14+ things should be improving each day in terms of donor area pain. In the meantime have you asked Dr. Bhatti if it is ok to apply aloe vera? It helped me.

I've been applying aloe vera lotion on my donor area as advised by Dr Bhatti , it has helped in reducing the pain due to skin stretching and dryness. The nerve pain has now subsided, I do have a little sensitivity on my donor area (maybe its still healing) which is uncomfortable- would not term it as pain. I can only feel it when I touch it or when I try to sleep with my donor area touching the pillow. But overall, I feel way better than what I felt a week back. :)

Day 12 - 16:

The pain on my donor area due to nerve has subsided, only feel a bit uncomfortable while sleeping on the pillow as I think the donor area is still a bit sensitive and maybe healing. On completion of 2 weeks, I have now resumed shampooing under tap water on alternate days with applying minoxidil 2% (for 2 weeks) everyday, also continuing with Fin and biotin meds (for next 6 months).

I have already started to shed and scabs have all fallen, confirmed by Dr Bhatti - this will continue for the next few months before the hair re-grows around 4 months mark.

Attaching the pictures for reference.

Will now update the thread every month with my progress, keeping my fingers crossed.

unnamed-4.thumb.jpg.4e8ebc917c2441bf70d0adaa89104304.jpg

unnamed-3.thumb.jpg.b75d2d900103a9197d1e2152c1994c1b.jpg

unnamed-2.thumb.jpg.e6e1a91e99e9c5bcf454fa4f41114f4a.jpg

unnamed.thumb.jpg.756b83120f611d4073be6ecc70064c85.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

4 weeks update

At week 4, my native hair has grown considerably but for the past 2 weeks I believe around 80% of my transplanted hair has already fallen. The vertex/crown area now shows no sign of any transplant procedure while the newly built hairline looks ugly due to less density compared to the native hair behind it. There is still numbness on my recipient area and few spots (around 2-3) on my donor area which when touched still feels like it's not healed completely. Overall the donor area has healed well and I do not feel any pain as such, but when I do touch these sensitive spots I feel a very little pain (scale: 2/10). Apart from this I have witnessed some shedding of my native hair in the mid-scalp and crown area as well, quite visible in the picture I have uploaded.

I just hope what I'm going through i.e. shedding is normal, really wish for time to move fast. :(

I will report my progress at week 6 to Dr Bhatti to have him check. ;)

IMG_7320.thumb.jpg.4a52eb74a1386cdcb512f9f33ba2e93a.jpg

IMG_7318.thumb.jpg.ad1cea84c6e28c5190b182e53dabf5f9.jpg

IMG_7312.thumb.jpg.3d1e89225e62114a5b11f03a53e4ea7e.jpg

IMG_7347.thumb.jpg.d5208cef08b724b6b2ceea8d7dbfa0c5.jpg