Dr Rahal Video Presentation - 1829 Grafts - FUE

We took some video footage of this incredible FUE hairline. We posted the photos previously, but seeing the comb go through the hair really shows you the density and how natural it looks.

Original thread

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

PLEASE potential HT people watching this refer to the original thread and how many people questioned why the patient got a HT. This is a RARE outcome of a patient at a normal Norwood 2 going to a Norwood 1. He will have an adolescent hairline forever which may look weird when he is in his 40s. Please understand this result is not hard to achieve under the circumstances of this patient.

Matt: good video quality. Do you have a single Norwood 5-6 patient video of any quality from Dr rahal that you can post ? Thanks

The patient is in his thirties and his hair is stable. Most patients have more conservative hairlines than this, but for the right patient it can be done.

Although hairloss is more common in men the older we get, there still remain those who don't recede. Look around you and you'll see them.

Here are some videos featuring patients with more advanced hairloss patterns.

PLEASE potential HT people watching this refer to the original thread and how many people questioned why the patient got a HT. This is a RARE outcome of a patient at a normal Norwood 2 going to a Norwood 1. He will have an adolescent hairline forever which may look weird when he is in his 40s. Please understand this result is not hard to achieve under the circumstances of this patient.

Matt: good video quality. Do you have a single Norwood 5-6 patient video of any quality from Dr rahal that you can post ? Thanks

Do Brad Pitt and Clooney's juvenile hairlines (pretty sure Clooney's is a piece as chops and changes) look strange in their 50s? Reagan's?

It's a thoughtless comment. There are risks in terms of progressive loss, but not in terms of it "looking weird" as you get older. Looks terrific today, and will in three decades. No one in the world is going to have an issue with or laugh at the seventy year old with the perfect hairline. Just think for three seconds about how silly the comment is. A significant proportion of the male population don't have any hereditary balding issues or ever reach a "mature" hairline, how can it not look natural when it is occurs in nature?

Thanks for the videos Matt

Jean LDD—i disagree. It is a thoughtful comment not a thoughtless one.

I said it “may” look weird and indeed it may—that is the reality of the situation. This is a forum to educate and inform and indeed many posters in the original thread say the same. Please remember many new patients come to this site and are starting from scratch. Many may be higher Norwoods with poor donor or other. The patient selection critteria for this Rahal patient allows for this Norwood 1 restoration.

Yes, an adolescent hairline at 70 may look weird. A good example of (for the time) a planned hair restoration is VP Biden’s one. He has a high Norwood 2 restoration and is an NW7 elsewhere. It works because it was a limited restoration well planned.

Reagan was an exceptional hair guy without receding elsewhere. But the danger for many patients is exactly what you are proposing as comparisons —George Clooney, Brad Pitt etc. These are professional actors who have invested a ton into their appearance more than possible to do for even the average hair restoration patient. (I also agree Clooney is likely wearing a rug). Brad Pitt and many of those guys either have had work done or wear concealer.

HT doctors —ethical and unethical ones —(Dr rahal being ethical according to all general consensus ), are in the business of selling a product. Most of the videos of high restorations above don’t show the crown. Why? Because they focus on the area of restoration. But you can bet it’s not a complete restoration. Does the new patient know this? Doe they understand ? Again we are hear to educate and inform.

I stand by my comment that technical competency aside, (which is evident here), the average hair restoration patient needs to understand that this patient was the exception, not the rule, and runs some risks with this approach which will need to be managed.

Thanks

Agree wholeheartedly with Jean, this same, tired argument is routinely trotted out in cases of aggressive restoration. Say what you want about the risks attached (which is a far more legitimate concern) but the notion that a great hairline will suddenly look bad on an older man is ridiculous.

Also, I think it's rather foolish to imply that this is an "easy case", to replicate the kind of native density (or come close to it) this patient had in one sitting is far from trivial. This type of "seeking perfection" patient is likely every bit as challenging as someone with considerably more surface area to cover; perhaps even more so since the perceived change will be much less dramatic and the PT's expectations are likely more exacting.

I have seen myriad cases of guys with minor recession that do not even come close to being as good as this one. Dr Rahal's clinic may be famous for this type of case, but that doesn't somehow negate the considerable surgical and artistic skill involved in creating a hairline like this. Just my opinion.

These are nice results, Mattj, though the video quality is a bit low resolution in some of the other videos posted above.

For me these days it takes more than just a thick hairline to impress me; I also want to see what the skin looks like after the surgery - if the skin doesn't look good because it's scarred and/or red, I can tell you from personal experience you won't be wearing your hair "up" like these guys. I also like to know how "soft" the hair is - does it fall back down naturally, or does it have that "straight up" quality that thicker caliber hairs have and seems more prevalent in hair transplant photos?

Thatoldchestnut is correct when he writes: "This type of "seeking perfection" patient is likely every bit as challenging as someone with considerably more surface area to cover; perhaps even more so since the perceived change will be much less dramatic and the PT's expectations are likely more exacting."

I was such a patient, and unfortunately the results were waaaay off my expectations.

But again, lacking detail in the video resolution aside, these results are nice.

The video quality has increased and everything recorded recently is of a high resolution. Like the first of the five I posted above.

Celebrities are good to look at to see examples of older men with low, perhaps 'juvenile' hairlines. Their photos are all over the internet. But all you have to do is look around you while you're out 'n about and you'll see ordinary men who haven't lost any hair. They're the lucky few. They don't look abnormal - far from it - they look great!

I am trying to post again, lets see if the moderators allow this one as for some reason my reply was not allowed on last time (despite being very polite).

I agree with ThatOldChestnut. "Perfection" in HTs is often the enemy of good, so its a risk.

Matt thanks for the videos. What I would really love to see going forward in addition to the good quality of the videos (nice) is full views of the crown even when restoration mostly frontal third. That would put the Rahal clinic in the category of most transparent like a few of the others.

JeanLDD and Matt and everyone--celebrities are out there to look at for sure, but the average HT patient looking for celebrity comparisons needs to be very, very careful. Celebrities often have access to stylists and use top-line concealers that completely cover up ANY hint of hair loss, and many use partial and full pieces (I do think Clooney has a piece also).

Ronal Reagan was exceptional but the point anyway is he had no mid or crown loss.

Its not a thoughtless comment--its a comment that comes with experience and wanting make sure the "Average" HT PROSPECTIVE patient understands that this result is not the norm because many people will not have the grafts or genetics to allow it if they are correctly screened. I DO think it would be weird to recede with a perfect hairline and potentially not have enough to restore the rest.

A good public example of a high NW that had a appropriate HT (good planning for its day) is former VP Biden's one. He got a high NW2 restoration and is an NW7 elsewhere and he pulled it off because the hairline is not perfect--it is appropriately receded.

The danger is that many clinics do not have the ethics or skill to do what is on display. So a patient reading this forum and seeing this result may demand the same and some doctor will give it to them. And they will recede. And they may end up in trouble down the road.

Dr. Rahal is known as an ethical guy so he and the young patient made the decision. Not all clinics have the same ethics. So, please please please for you new patients out there, do your research and be very careful with making comparisons to this case.

My grandfather passed away at 88 years old with a full head of hair and no receding hairline. His hair looked thick and youthful but yet it was still fitting for him. The reality is, many older man still have a youthful looking hairline that still suits and fits them perfectly. Some may even argue that my hairline is too low but I think it fits and feet should be perfectly now and with no end.

Ultimately, we all have to recognize that we all have our individual preferences and while some may not like one hairline, others will. And vice versa for other hairlines. That’s why Hair transplant surgery is as much subjective as it is objective.

I see nothing wrong with this case and I have full confidence in Dr. Rahal’s skill, experience and ethics and have for many, many years.

Best wishes,

Bill

Davis,

I do see that one or two of your posts ended up in the moderation cute. This sometimes occurs when a particular word, called a trigger word is used. Frankly, I’m not sure what word triggered you were post to go to the moderation queue so I went ahead and approved it.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Bill

My father died early (aged 58 - about the same age as George Clooney) but he never receded and had very thick hair. I've no doubt he would have still had the same hair if he had lived to 98.

We cite celebrities because they are examples of men that we are all familiar with and we can find high-res photos of them. Of course some of them have had help to look like they do, but many haven't and I really don't think that either of the examples mentioned in this thread are anything but naturally blessed with great hair.

But that's a side issue, as ultimately we don't need to look at celebrity examples because we all see men on a day to day basis and can see that it isn't uncommon for older men to still retain the same hairlines that they had in their youth.

What’s the point of having a transplant so u can look like u have a receding hairline ..

If u were destined to be a high norwood then yeah getting transplants to look like u a Norwood 1 wouldn’t be smart ..

But most people that are balding r in the Norwood 3-5 ..

people that don’t have hairloss issues are usually Norwood 1 n 2 ..

getting surgery is to look like those people .. it’s not weird or stupid to try to look normal ..

If u destined to look like Bruce Willis hair transplants won’t make u look like brad Pitt .. be smart ..

I’ve read so many posts on here where the members like their transplants but regret not going lower / regular .. n chose a conservative High hairline for coverage.. Only to come go back for that second transplant ASAP because they realize that the hair does grow just wished they wouldn’t of been so conservative ..

it’s a cosmetic procedure for most people .. having a high hairline n big forehead with a lot of hair don’t look good .. but if u already really bald then yeah , Any hair coverage is a positive ..

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an example (linked below) of a patient who is 50 years old. The conditions were right for what might be described as an 'aggressive' hairline (for want of a better word) and the result is incredible. Nobody could say that this doesn't look appropriate.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/189481-dr-rahal-2616-grafts-fut.html