folliculitis

hey cats-

for the past few months I have been suffering from on-and-off-again folliculitis of the scalp.

it's hard to tell what it is caused by. Rogaine never gave me huge issues (although it certainly doesn't help if my scalp is irritated). I use a thickening shampoo and Caboki on a regular basis. could be stress? I switched over to an organic tea tree oil shampoo and it does seem to make a difference. I was also put on antibiotics 6 months ago and they cleared the irritation but it comes back every once in a while.

anyway. does anybody know if this issue would/could affect hair restoration surgery?

most of the time I don't have this problem, but I obviously worry that it might impact surgery.

Harry,

As I was reading your post, I couldn’t for the life of me figure out why you think you had folliculitis as none of the products you mentioned should cause something like that. However, then you mentioned you had hair transplant surgery or at least you mentioned you were afraid that the folliculitis may impact the surgery. So I assume that means you had already undergone a hair transplant right? If so, how long ago?

People who undergo hair transplant surgery sometimes can get folliculitis as new hairs are trying to sprout underneath the scalp. It’s also possible that the concealer that you are using may be caking itself to the scalp a bit in which case, it may be making it more difficult for the scalp to breathe and thus, for new hair to grow.

In my opinion, I would speak to your hair transplant surgeon immediately to see what he or she says about potentially treating it. I would also post photos here so we can see it and we can give you some suggestions.

Best wishes,

Bill

thanks Bill.

to clarify: I have NOT had surgery yet. I am going to- once I am set on which doctor to go to! :)

I don't know if it's actual folliculitis. the easiest way to describe it is... mild acne of the scalp in 3-4 locations. sometimes there's an actual pimple, and other times it just feels like a really sore spot.

it's interesting re: Caboki... I really hope it doesn't do any damage to the hair follicles because without it I would be :eek:

• Administrators
thanks Bill.

to clarify: I have NOT had surgery yet. I am going to- once I am set on which doctor to go to! :)

I don't know if it's actual folliculitis. the easiest way to describe it is... mild acne of the scalp in 3-4 locations. sometimes there's an actual pimple, and other times it just feels like a really sore spot.

it's interesting re: Caboki... I really hope it doesn't do any damage to the hair follicles because without it I would be :eek:

How often are you washing your hair? Are you leaving the caboki in for days? Anytime I use toppik or Caboki I make sure to wash it out at night with shampoo. If you’re not regularly washing your hair the pores could be getting clogged causing pimples. I personally feel it’s a myth to say that washing your hair regularly is damaging, it depends on your skin type, if you have oily skin, you have to make sure you wash regularly. Get this issue sorted out first witha dermatologist before getting surgery. Also, Caboki or toppik doesn’t damage follicles, been using it now for over a year and my hair has never looked better. Wish I would’ve done it my first two surgeries.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

my routine is as follows:

- wash hair daily with thickening shampoo

- apply rogaine to damp hair

- once hair is dry, apply Caboki + fixing spray

- go about my day with Caboki, go to sleep with Caboki on.

- wake up, shower, shampoo with thickening shampoo.

repeat.

I realize that I should probably wash it off before sleeping, but I generally don't shower 2x a day and it's definitely a pain to have to do so. I've used Caboki 6 years now and it has never caused irritation like this so I am not entirely sure this is the cause of it!

• Administrators
my routine is as follows:

- wash hair daily with thickening shampoo

- apply rogaine to damp hair

- once hair is dry, apply Caboki + fixing spray

- go about my day with Caboki, go to sleep with Caboki on.

- wake up, shower, shampoo with thickening shampoo.

repeat.

I realize that I should probably wash it off before sleeping, but I generally don't shower 2x a day and it's definitely a pain to have to do so. I've used Caboki 6 years now and it has never caused irritation like this so I am not entirely sure this is the cause of it!

Going to sleep with the caboki and hair spray on sounds like the culprit to me, think of caboki as make up, ask any girl if they ever sleep with their make up on, they’ll tell you that’s a cardinal sin and a great way to get acne. Wash it out every night with Nizoral the anti fungal shampoo that is also a mild DHT blocker, im sure it should clear it up. Nothing wrong with taking two showers a day, plus I’m sure your pillow cases will thank you.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

HTSoon has the right points, especially with the makeup reference. Folliculitis can be the symptom of a larger issue, such as inflammation, so you may be experiencing issues with any of the products you're using or it could be dietary. What many do not realize is that you can also develop low grade allergic reactions to products over time, even if you haven't had any reactions to them in the past. You should consult with a qualified dermatologist to have them help you figure out the issue. FYI, any reputable hair restoration doctor will insist that your scalp be clean and clear of issues before undergoing a hair transplant.

I represent Dr. Jerry Cooley online. All opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Dr. Cooley. I am not a doctor.

Learn more about Jerry Cooley MD and Hair Center in Charlotte, NC

For complimentary consultations with one of the leading hair transplant doctors worldwide please contact us here.

Hair Transplant Consultation With Jerry Cooley MD at HairCenter.com