Dr. Hasson / 2640 grafts / FUE / hairline-temples / 11 months post-op

This Vancouver area patient in his early 30's came to see us about restoring his hairline and temple points. Dr. Hasson and team transplanted 2640 grafts via FUE. 290 grafts were singles, 1949 were doubles and 401 were 3-4 hair grafts. A .8 mm motorized punch was used. Donor hair and texture slightly above average. A burn scar was also covered. These photos were taken 11 months post-op.

ts-drh-fue-hair-transplant-2640-grafts-front-close-before-after.jpg

ts-drh-fue-hair-transplant-2640-grafts-left-before-after.jpg

ts-drh-fue-hair-transplant-2640-grafts-left-close-before-after.jpg

ts-drh-fue-hair-transplant-2640-grafts-right-before-after.jpg

ts-drh-fue-hair-transplant-2640-grafts-right-close-before-after.jpg

ts-drh-fue-hair-transplant-2640-grafts-right-profile-before-after.jpg

ts-drh-fue-hair-transplant-2640-grafts-tilt-before-after.jpg

ts-drh-fue-hair-transplant-2640-grafts-top-before-after.jpg

I am a salaried employee of Hasson and Wong since 2001. Opinions expressed are my own.

Hassonandwong.com

Natural looking result. I like the hairline design and slight temple adjustment!

HT#1 - Dr. Rahal (Jan 2012) - 4700 grafts

HT#2 - Dr. Rahal (Jan 2014) - 1800 grafts

HT#3 - Dr. Konior (Jan 2018) - 1200 grafts

Thank you for the comments guys. Blonde or lighter colored hair has less contrast to the scalp and therefore will require fewer singles to create a natural looking hairline. Greater contrast can require 400 grafts or more. There is no need to split grafts as with FUE we can harvest only the selected grafts that we want. Under ideal conditions similar to this case, as few as 200 to 250 singles can create a nice hairline, the rest used in the temples if had to guess.

I am a salaried employee of Hasson and Wong since 2001. Opinions expressed are my own.

Hassonandwong.com

Thanks Doug,

Interesting information. As an FUT & FUE clinic you would certainly have the Tools and the staff so split Multis into Singles. Why don't you do this? Besides having more Singles for the hairline would it not be easier too. Less extractions for similiar amont of hairs.

Gasthoerer,

Thank you for weighing in. Yes, we do have the tools and staff to do most anything when it comes to hair restoration and matters of the scalp. You do bring up an interesting point regarding fewer incisions but I don’t think this relatively small amount would make a material difference in the footprint of the donor. As far as the other side of the equation, for every one less incision during extraction, we would then have to dissect the graft so there would be no real labor advantage. We’re always trying to create the very best possible cosmetic impact. If that meant splitting grafts then I think it would be considered. I believe if possible, keeping the grafts in their true follicular units is ideal. So if we can just take the exact type of unit we need, then taking it out as it naturally occurs is preferred. If a particular patient in some rare case had almost exclusively 2 or more hair bundles, then we would, of course, need to consider splitting 2’s into1’s to get the necessary singles for the hairline. We naturally would not want to use 2’s in the hairline. The converse holds true for FUT procedures. If we have an unusually high number of singles, we will double up 2 single hair grafts into one incision where necessary. This will create more density than simply putting in single hairs and essentially doubles the volume of hair in the same given space versus all single hair grafts.

There is, however, an instance when splitting grafts may be warranted. If a patient has very coarse black hair and especially with a lighter colored scalp, we will consider splitting a 4 hair graft into two. If you transplant a 4 hair graft with a very large hair shaft diameter, it can appear to look “pluggy”. If it is dissected into 2 double hair units placed side by side, it will look more natural than the one 4 hair unit. And, with the assist of the lateral slit technique and it’s principles, 2 double hair grafts will cover more bald scalp than one 4 hair graft.

Hassonandwong.com