Shapiro 1947 FUTs - Shedding Time

Dear Friends,

I have been reading this site for about two years and finally decided to register. I am 28 and had 850 grafts from Dr May in London - June 2002. I recently followed up with 1947 grafts from Dr. Shapiro on 29th Dec 2003 (About 4 weeks ago). Could I start by saying how FANTASTIC the experience was. Having been to two recognised clinics, the first of which was also great - Shapiro is a true professional, passionate about his work. Thanks Ron and staff! Anyway, I have a question for you guys:

I have started shedding hair - both new and old hair - even from my previous transplant. What % do you think will grow back? Secondly, I am peeling like anything. I have a history of dermatitis and dandruff. However, This is proper peeling! What do you suggest I use for this? I am using stuff like Head and Shoulders and Nizoral. I am thinking that perhaps I am not hard enough on my scalp, to paranoid about losing more hair?!

Thoughts and suggestions would really be appreciated. BTW - If anyone want objective advice on Dr. May - Wimpole or Shapiro, feel free to contact me!

Cheers!!

Dear Friends,

I have been reading this site for about two years and finally decided to register. I am 28 and had 850 grafts from Dr May in London - June 2002. I recently followed up with 1947 grafts from Dr. Shapiro on 29th Dec 2003 (About 4 weeks ago). Could I start by saying how FANTASTIC the experience was. Having been to two recognised clinics, the first of which was also great - Shapiro is a true professional, passionate about his work. Thanks Ron and staff! Anyway, I have a question for you guys:

I have started shedding hair - both new and old hair - even from my previous transplant. What % do you think will grow back? Secondly, I am peeling like anything. I have a history of dermatitis and dandruff. However, This is proper peeling! What do you suggest I use for this? I am using stuff like Head and Shoulders and Nizoral. I am thinking that perhaps I am not hard enough on my scalp, to paranoid about losing more hair?!

Thoughts and suggestions would really be appreciated. BTW - If anyone want objective advice on Dr. May - Wimpole or Shapiro, feel free to contact me!

Cheers!!

Thanks for that! I haven't used Vit E. but I will have a look at that! I also have about 5 small red spots - I am 4 weeks post op. Some of the spots are bleeding. One of the great assistants at Shapiro Medical told me to use a wet towel - and even to lance and clean the puss away. What are your thoughts and experiences??

I did get the dry flaky scalp but I did not experience the folliculitus. For the dry flaking, I would try T-Gel shampoo and go ahead and get a little rough with your shampooing action. Those FUs have been in place for a month and they are healed and there to stay. You should be able to press and rub as much as you like.

I think the folliculitus is quite common and I don't seem to remember reading from anyone that there were a bad result from treating them in any fashion that you would have even without having had the HT. And you can trust SMG to tell you what is best, as they are top notch.

Very best of luck to you.

Cliff

I had 2480 FUE's on Dec 15, 2003 with Dr Shapiro, and you are right, Ron and his staff are top notch and very caring! I had a lot of "peeling" early on but it is pretty much gone now, a little bit here and there but nothing like what I had. Someone from this site called Shapiro's office and they told him that they thought it was due to the Biotin spray they gave us, since they never had a problem with the grafcyte spray they had used. The tech was going to recommend to Ron that they go back to the grafcyte spray.

I had some red spots as well, but only here lately did a couple get swollen enough for me to squeeze. I made sure I got all the junk out and then a lot of blood that I stopped with warm water and cloth. I then used neosporin for a couple of days and they have healed up as good as new, no more problems! I'm like you, I have treated my transplants with kid gloves. About 40-50% of my transplants have fallen out, but some seem to be growing. I also seem to have some little dots and some hairs(just a very few) starting to sprout. Now mind you this may be some of my imagination, but my wife says she sees the same thing, so who knows?! Everybody is different, but one thing for sure you and I had the best in the business working on us, and it'll pay off!

You need to go to a post of mine labeled "thymuskin" under another general heading and read what Cliff from Washinton DC told me about his HT from Dr Shapiro. It'll make you feel great! Hang in there, remember this is the worst few months, waiting for our HTs to start growing!

kindest regards,

Michael

Dear Cliff and Michael,

Gentleman - thank you ever so much. I used a shampoo called Capusal last night, washed throughly and repeated. This is a coal tar based product like T-Gel and it did indeed help. I did have to frequent the toilets at work today to brush the flakes away, but at least they are drying and flaking off. I'd rather have that than them sticking to the scalp. I have lost a significant number of new hair as expected, and many older hair as the skin peeled and scabs came off. How are you guys coming along? Michael, I had my opp two weeks after you on the 29th of Dec! I have attached a day one photo for you guys! I stayed at the Country Inn and Suites!

Take Care and Bless!

Sam

Day1.JPG.218ef1f486ef6e297816fe3799d83e57.JPG

Hello Graft King of London,

I spent one day on London some year or so ago, visited some sites, took a picture crossing Abbey Road... had a bloody great time. Then took the Chunnel(sp?) to Paris.

Anyway, my HTs from Dr. Shapiro took place even before the London jaunt--August 2001, and March 2002. So I have had well enough time for my hair to have grown back and filled in and blended well. It looks just fantastic if I do say so myself. It was the best dough I've ever spent.

Anyway, very best of luck to you and Michael, but I assure you you will not need any luck as you have chosen your HT Docs quite wisely.

Cliff