2600 FUT with Dr. Suneet Soni India

I had a similar 'thin' spot pre surgery (right frontal side).  Even 9 months after surgery it was still laggging (w/grafts put in that spot).  It's still slightly thin compared to the rest of the transplanted area but it did recover mostly.

Unfortunately you just have to wait - nothing really to do.  Could just be a spot that needs more time.  Everyone's physiology is different and responds differently to major surgery.

My last surgery was in March 2017 and it took so long for real growth to fill in (12 months) - I had several FUT surgeries before and never had such 'lag time.'  However, I believe I got full growth (even though my hair type is very fine and straight w/slightly below avg. density). 

I do think pretty much all of my remaining 'thinning hair' that had stopped responding to all the meds/treatment that I use permanently were 'shocked' and are gone - so the first 6 months not only did I have permanent shock loss I had very slow growth.  That can be very aggravating.

In a perfect world hair transplant would be a one and done for everyone regardless of hairloss and hair type. 

My advice fwiw is keep a level head and re-asess every 3 months.  You have lots of donor left and you have options going forward.

Edited by jjsrader

Here's the deal.  We see so many patients with the very best hair characteristics (wavy hair/thicker hair in microns/higher donor density) and they have very good early results.

Our minds tend to remember these more than normal progress or even lagging progress in 4 months.  They say the 'normal' progress at 4 months is what, 25-30% growth?

If you're a guy that has thinnner hair (microns) and lower donor density and straighter hair and you're a bit behind schedule in growth you might be showing only 15-20% growth at 4 months.

I think EVERYONE must remember, if you go to a competent surgeon and the graft survival was very high it is completely individualized.

Remember the 12-18 month rule for final results.  Cosmetic hair surgery is very difficult psychologically - you look weird, it takes MONTHS for anything to start happening and most importantly, for the majority of normal hairloss sufferers at Norwood 4 or higher - you will probably want 2 surgeries and sometimes 3 if you really want the final results to be as refined and dense as possible.

Even then it is the illusion of a full head of hair w/way less than 50% of original density.

It sucks, I know from experience.

Hang in there and if you take very good pictures you might be able to have an ongoing discussion w/Dr. Soni about your progress (slow or otherwise).

Edited by jjsrader

• 5 weeks later...

These are 5 month 1 week pics. There seems to be about 40% of hair growth at this point. However, I cannot see any new hair growing. So I don't think there will be much new hair growth. Only the hair that exists will get stronger giving a bit more thickness. There is one spot where there was complete lack of growth. See pic 4 (circled blue). Only a few hair grew there except these hair do not get longer than 1cm. Not sure what went wrong with this area. This never happened to me before. There are also some hair maybe 2-5% which are not getting longer and only grow upto 1cm. They have been at this length for >2 months. However, my hair looks better than before and looks more fuller. Hopefully there will be new hair growth, but I am not expecting much judging from previous experience. 

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

pic6.jpg

pic7.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It's been 6 months now. There doesn't seem  to be any improvement in the last 3 weeks. No new hair growth. Only  hair got longer that's all. The empty zone is still empty. 

The first 5 pics are 6 month results. 

Also attaching pics of my hair at day 12 before the transplanted hair had shed. This is what the result should have looked like. Don't know where did all these grafts go? Why are they not growing? Can they die after shedding? They seemed to take hold properly up till 3 weeks, then they shed then I expected them to grow back at least 80% by now. Only 40-50% has grown back and there doesn't seem to be any sign of new growth. Pics 6-10 are 12 day pics.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

pic6.jpg

pic7.jpg

pic8.jpg

pic9.jpg

pic10.jpg

Bit worrying for me as I also did surgery with Dr Soni and I am in two month mark with no growth. May be you are a slow grower and I hope you will get better in a year mark. 

Edited by thappa

• 5 months later...