FUT vs FUE - my summary, is it correct?

i'm 31, committed to finally doing my HT this year and regain my long lustrous hair. I'm norwood 3, and have settled on FUT.

Why have i chosen FUT?

because

- i don't care about the scar, as i want my hair to grow out forever.

- FUT requires less donor area and yields more grafts.#

- it seems cheaper.

so it seems like the obvious choice - so then - why does there seem to be absolutely no consensus anywhere?

why are some clinics exclusively FUE?

Is my summary completely wrong?

is FUE just as good a technique, even if you don't care about short hair or a scar showing?

can the right surgeon actually do a better job using FUE over FUT??

or are they both just as good as each other and it depends entirely on the surgeon preference?

i'm absolutely struggling to come to a conclusion on this. My mind is set on FUT but i still have all these questions. please help?

i'm 31, committed to finally doing my HT this year and regain my long lustrous hair. I'm norwood 3, and have settled on FUT.

Why have i chosen FUT?

because

- i don't care about the scar, as i want my hair to grow out forever.

- FUT requires less donor area and yields more grafts.#

- it seems cheaper.

so it seems like the obvious choice - so then - why does there seem to be absolutely no consensus anywhere?

why are some clinics exclusively FUE?

Is my summary completely wrong?

is FUE just as good a technique, even if you don't care about short hair or a scar showing?

can the right surgeon actually do a better job using FUE over FUT??

or are they both just as good as each other and it depends entirely on the surgeon preference?

i'm absolutely struggling to come to a conclusion on this. My mind is set on FUT but i still have all these questions. please help?

Sloppos,

If you post detailed pictures the forum can make suitable recommendations for you whether FUT or FUE.

Any differences in yield are very small, therefore I do believe that FUE will give you just as good of a result. If the FUT scar doesn't bother you then the main benefit of FUE isn't really applicable and there's no reason why you shouldn't go for FUT. Although the recovery is not as easy.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

My impression is that, everything being equal, yield in FUT should be significantly better; since the chances of damaging a follicle with FUE should be higher since one is pretty much blind when doing an extraction.

-WIth both FUE/FUT the hair is permanent.

- If you don't care about the scar, or your hairstyle can hide it, then FUT is a better procedure in terms of cost and yield.

Everything you said there would indicate FUT for you. The scar is usually the deal breaker for people and that's why they go FUE so if you don't care about that then FUT makes perfect sense for you.

Good luck!

sloppos....i've always thought Dr. Lindsey's video about FUE was pretty informative and easy to understand. Dr. Lindsey performs FUE and FUT.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Thanks for the replies so far.

I just want the most hair at the lowest cost I.e the best value.

Here's my dilemma then. Yes you're right as I say I don't care about the scar or the longer recovery. I just want to ensure I get the most hair transplanted for the money.

I look at some clinics like Dr bhatti with tons of videos pictures and testimonials and the results look brilliant, but he is FUE exclusive. That's the bit I don't get, why some clinics are now just FUE only. Is it purely due to demand? FUT is Dieing?

I'm still sure I want FUT and you guys have supported this with your responses. But if Bhatti is like ?5k cheaper and can give the same result with FUE then I'd do that!

That's my dilemma.

Here's my dilemma then. Yes you're right as I say I don't care about the scar or the longer recovery. I just want to ensure I get the most hair transplanted for the money.

I look at some clinics like Dr bhatti with tons of videos pictures and testimonials and the results look brilliant, but he is FUE exclusive. That's the bit I don't get, why some clinics are now just FUE only. Is it purely due to demand? FUT is Dieing?

I'm still sure I want FUT and you guys have supported this with your responses. But if Bhatti is like ?5k cheaper and can give the same result with FUE then I'd do that!

That's my dilemma.

In the hands of a skilled surgeon such as Dr Bhatti, I personally believe there is little difference between yield and the scarring is more or less invisible to the naked eye.

You only have to look at my own pics that prove this emphatically.

• Administrators

That's my dilemma.

If you want the most hair then you will need to do BOTH procedures, you will need to do strip surgery first, once you're stripped out you can do FUE. If you want to maximize your grafts that is the way to do it.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

If you want the most hair then you will need to do BOTH procedures, you will need to do strip surgery first, once you're stripped out you can do FUE. If you want to maximize your grafts that is the way to do it.

i would like to know why you recommend that, please. Why does doing FUT first then FUE after maximise the grafts?

• Administrators
i would like to know why you recommend that, please. Why does doing FUT first then FUE after maximise the grafts?

When FUE is performed you have thousands of punch holes causing subdermal scarring, the scars make it more difficult for cutters to cut your strip in to follicular units, additionally since the density is lowered overall, the amount of grafts you receive will be substantially less, not to mention the decrease in density will make it more difficult to conceal the scar. However, doing FUT first it will be much easier to FUE around the scar to make sure density is not reduced too much, the scalp below will be Virgin, so you will still get the maximum amount of grafts possible.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Go FUT, then if you want more, do a 2nd FUT, then if you want more, go FUE. For all the reasons above.

A good surgeon will excise the old strip when he does the 2nd - especially if it was a Tripto closure. I basically have one tiny scar after two HT's.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.