IMPORTANT NOTE BY MODERATOR: 

This community allows it’s members to share their genuine experiences and photos whether they feel good or bad about the end result. Therefore, we allow his post below along with discussion of it below that.  However, we felt the need to summarize what really happened given that the doctor didn’t have a chance to respond until much further down the topic.

The patient below has had a previous hair transplant of 4000 grafts with another surgeon, leaving him with a sparse, ‘moth eaten’ donor supply and a pluggy looking hairline with essentially no real growth.  

The patient came to Dr. Soni wanting another FUE procedure and during the course of the initial emails, Dr. Soni agreed that this would likely be the case.  However, in person consultations often reveal the reality of a situation a lot more so than pictures in an email. Therefore, Dr. Soni realized that FUE would be a really bad idea in this particular patient’s case. 

Thus, Dr. Soni proceeded to explain why FUT via strip surgery would be ideal in his case. After a lot of discussion and debating, the patient agreed. 

Unfortunately, the patient ended up being unhappy because of the linear scar it created. One of the pictures the patient shows below is of a portion of the scar looks a bit wide and claims that it was how his scar ended up. However, pictures posted by the clinic refute this and show a pencil thin scar and stated that the wide area it was early on during the healing phase. The clinic also further stated that if there were any problem areas with the scar, that they would repair it by performing a very small FUE procedure and transplanting the hairs in the scar. 

At the end of the day, the patient is unhappy mostly because the first procedure with another doctor truly limited his options for future work.  Unfortunately, while Dr. Soni and the patient made the right choice together for strip surgery, the patient now feels that Dr. Soni pushed strip on him against his will even though he was the one who made the ultimate decision.  The reality is, FUE would never provide him with the results he wanted to camouflage the pluggy looking hairline from the previous procedure because he didn’t have the donor available for it.  On the other hand, given his tough stance against strip, he never should have agreed to go along with it and probably shouldn’t have undergone any surgery at all.

Below is the patient story and you can find at the doctors story on the next page.

—————————————

Hello everyone, I held off from writing this review since most bad experiences are usually not talked about. I wanted to move on and forget about this horrible experience,..but I just had to get this off my chest. Before I go any further, I blame myself the most for being gullible and naive in listening to these doctors (primarily Dr. Soni). Now let’s get to it.

At age 27 I was a nw6 and decided to do an fue procedure in Turkey in March 2015. I got 4,000 grafts for about $1,100 which is incredibly cheap (never really a good idea). Fortunately i’d say 95% of the transplanted hairs grew after 1yr. The bad news was they used multiple hair grafts on my hairline which looked pluggy. Still, I had hair up top which looked decent enough to me after a buzz (compared to before, bald up top). I told myself my next procedure will be a more recommended doctor. Upon seeing this forum’s recommendation for him, I chose Dr. Suneet Soni.

Sometime around June 2016, I contacted Dr. Suneet Soni through email for an fue procedure to get more density up top. I sent him detailed pictures of my hair and requested to harvest my sides and back, targeting safe and unsafe zones. My desired hairstyle was a high and tight so side/back density does not matter much since they will be shaved (all of this explained thoroughly in my email). Dr. Soni agreed and estimated 2000 graft fue can be done with my special request in mind. No talk of FUT was made in our email.

Fast forward to Sep 2016, I fly to India for my procedure with Dr. Soni. Upon my arrival we talk about the plan for tomorrow’s procedure. He then tells me he will do an FUT procedure of 4000 grafts. I reminded him, I’m only interested in Fue bcs my donor area is thin from my previous FUE and I know at my thinning rate a buzz cut will be needed in the near future. I tell him I only want slight density increase on my frontal and mid scalp. He tells me I will not be happy, it won’t be worth my trip, and I’ll regret it. I tell him I’m not going to change my mind. He then calls an ex patient he had to show me his result with FUT. I look at it and was impressed by the thin scar, but he had far thicker donor than me which I pointed out. I told him I’m still not interested in fut (he should have accepted my request at this point and stopped his push for fut).

About 8hrs have passed since my arrival and It’s now night, getting ready to sleep and I was called downstairs to talk to him. He came back to the clinic with I assume his family and he’s in his off work clothes. He sits me down, tells me I’m making a big mistake for FUE, and I’ll only be happy with fut. He keeps saying he’s not biased between fue and fut (obviously he is with how pushy he is), but he says I will be disappointed with fue. Obviously at this point I’m thinking it would be a waste of time to do fue or he may mess my head up since he’s so against fue. So, unfortunately I caved in and agreed for fut (biggest mistake of my life). It took him talking me into it 4x, he should have stopped after the 2nd.

It’s now 2018 and I will say I got far more growth from the $1,100 fue procedure than the considerably more expensive FUT procedure with Dr. Soni. I’d say only 50% of the transplanted hairs grew back. Not only that, I got permanent shockloss under my linear scar. My scar is thin, but who cares when there’s no hair around it. Now im back to where I was before the FUT but this time I have a Long ear to ear scar. When I grow my hair out it’s so sparse, it literally looks the same as before just a lower hairline (which he had to for single hair grafts for more natural hairline). The few fue punches he did do, are huge. They’re more noticeable than the 4000 fue grafts done by the clinic in Turkey, no wonder he’s so against the fue.

I’m sure I still have our email conversations where he agreed to do fue no problem. Before changing his tone AFTER I fly from US to India. Again, I blame myself the most for listening to Dr. Soni, but I wouldn’t be where I’m at if he had just stopped pushing for the fut. Take this how you want to take it, but this is my honest experience/review of Dr. Soni. Below are pictures of before and after my FUT procedure, not much different to me. Definitely not worth having a huge scar on the back of your head for. I trusted this forum of his review and I come out feeling angry and very disappointed.

67E9F361-5FF0-4D14-A97F-E330759D2AAB.thumb.jpg.621afa848a5491fef7153b880e199175.jpg

0B0C3DFA-85A8-4565-A478-977AD5CADFDE.thumb.jpeg.40eb50e843940b42c709a005aeb37040.jpeg

I've never heard of a Soni FUT result being poor/non-growth. Very surprised - would be good to hear his side of the story.

However, if you really wanted FUE and not FUT you should have agreed to disagree and not gone through with this type of surgery.

That's 8K of grafts now - you might have another 2-4K left w/a very experienced FUE surgeon (Shapiro/Gable/Arocha/Konoir/Feller) in 2-3 fue surgeries and you could use beard hair for another 2-5K if you really desire coverage.

Sorry to hear about your experiences. You should check again to see if you're hair/scalp are suited for transplants.

Seems very odd or you are super-advanced balding pattern w/weak hair or perhaps diffuse hair loss??

Your growth from your 1st surgery must

I've never heard of a Soni FUT result being poor/non-growth. Very surprised - would be good to hear his side of the story.

However, if you really wanted FUE and not FUT you should have agreed to disagree and not gone through with this type of surgery.

That's 8K of grafts now - you might have another 2-4K left w/a very experienced FUE surgeon (Shapiro/Gable/Arocha/Konoir/Feller) in 2-3 fue surgeries and you could use beard hair for another 2-5K if you really desire coverage.

Sorry to hear about your experiences. You should check again to see if you're hair/scalp are suited for transplants.

Seems very odd or you are super-advanced balding pattern w/weak hair or perhaps diffuse hair loss??

Trust me, I made it clear from the start and upon arrival I did not want fut. We agreed before my arrival, fue only. But after flying from US to India and the doctor from start to finish, from 9am to 8pm keeps telling you that “you will not be happy with fue, you will be disappointed, it won’t be worth your trip” four times through out that time span, the same doctor doing the procedure on your head, then of course you start second guessing. After the 2nd time I insisted for fue only he should have stopped his aggressive push for fut.

And I am a diffused thinner, which I also brought up to him btw. If I had gone with fue like I intended to do, but from a different dr I would’ve been able to buzz and look good with no linear scar and smp the back/sides. Living my life. But now I’m living with constant anxiety Bcs of this scar.

Edited by Toby0823
  • Like 1

Its sad to see such Doctor are recommended over here

I know, I’m so upset about this. I hope those looking for an fue/fut with Dr. Soni sees this and reconsider. I have nothing to gain or lose from this review. I didn’t email him wanting my $ back or him fixing it (as I’d never let that guy touch my head again). This forum is a joke if that guy is “recommended”.

Posted (edited)
On 12/25/2018 at 12:37 AM, Dhyan said:

I had exactly same experience with Dr soni ..now i am dying to get my scar revised 

Sorry to hear. Dr. Soni is a scammer hack. The guy ruined my youth with this scar. I blame myself the most for allowing myself to be pressured by that wack job.

If he’s still recommended on this site, then this site is far from credible. I trusted the recommended list here, and I paid the ultimate price.

Edited by Toby0823

Imo surgeons recommmended here should not put pressure like that. 

Obviously if the Dr disputes what happened that different story. But people respond to that kind of sales pressure differently. And there are a few cases of this doctor doing this.

there is tricky situations where doctors might truly believe after looking directly at patient that something different is required.  But imo at that point the doctor should be doing better consultations with better pictures etc.

I can definitely relate to this story. Dr. Soni is a conman. His only interest is in making money. He's an unethical piece of shit. He pressured me into lowering my hairline where every other doctor would strongly advise against it. The only reason he did this is so he would make more money from me. I had only gone to him thinking I will fill in my existing hairline to get some more density. I was thinking at most 1200 grafts would be needed. This is what we had discussed over the emails and over the phone. Then I booked a reservation with him for the actual surgery and paid $500 non-refundable for the booking. When I arrived in his office, he had a 30-40 minute argument with me pressuring me to let him lower the hairline and make a V-shape hairline. I told him NO, I need to save my grafts for future hairloss because I'm only 29. He said I have enough grafts and I will be fine in the future. (LIE). I told him I don't get good growth because I have done transplants before and the yield wasn't very great. He said he's much better than western doctors because he does 3-5 transplants a day and has been doing it for years whereas western doctors only do maybe 1 transplant a day. He said I will look very handsome if I get the V-shape hairline because the face has to be proportional and some other bullshit. I told him I don't want it because I also don't have money for it. I only came with a budget of 1200. He said "Come On. You are from canada. People come from abroad and get 5000 grafts easily." He said "Your ticket itself costs $1200. Don't you have any relatives here you can ask for money?" Man i was pissed and wanted to leave, but I had to get the transplant done at that time because I had taken a long vacation from work and could only fit in the transplant during my vacation because I couldn't go to work right after transplant. If not that year, then I would have to wait another year and I planned on getting married next year. So I really wanted to do it. Also I thought maybe he's right because He's recommended on this site and people gave good reviews here. I thought maybe he's just greedy but he'll do a good job and I'll actually look good. I thought he does have tons of experience and has videos of small time celebrities coming to him for transplant. All this made me question myself and trust this son of a bitch. I didn't want to upset him by refusing to let him do what he strongly wants and then he fucks up my surgery because he's pissed. So i made the worst decision of my life. Which cost me $8000. 2600 priceless grafts which will never come back. And a botched hairline. He actually made the hairline worse than before. It seems like the previous hairline has gotten thinner because he must have transected the previous hair roots. Now I have a much lower hairline which is very thin and looks substantially worse than before. What's more is that 10% of the hair that grew only grew to 1cm length which makes no sense. They just don't get any longer. I've never seen that before. That never happened with 3 transplants with Dr. Wong. Either the hair grew or didn't, but not halfway where they grew to 1cm and then stopped growing. Thinking about it pisses me off so much how I let him dupe me and not standing up for myself when I was right. 

We need to start a petition to ban this fraud from this site before he ruins more lives. 

Posted (edited)
On 3/21/2018 at 12:39 AM, jjsrader said:

No Dr. Soni is a complete conman and that's what happened. He pressured me as well and fooled me the same way he did this guy. Agreed on something else in the emails, then in person on the day before the surgery, pressured me for 40 min to let him lower my hairline. Despicable human being. Completely unethical. And you should think twice before praising him. Your glowing reviews of him were part of the reason I succumbed to the pressure of this conman.

Edited by ILikeMyHair

46 minutes ago, ILikeMyHair said:

I can definitely relate to this story. Dr. Soni is a conman. His only interest is in making money. He's an unethical piece of shit. He pressured me into lowering my hairline where every other doctor would strongly advise against it. The only reason he did this is so he would make more money from me. I had only gone to him thinking I will fill in my existing hairline to get some more density. I was thinking at most 1200 grafts would be needed. This is what we had discussed over the emails and over the phone. Then I booked a reservation with him for the actual surgery and paid $500 non-refundable for the booking. When I arrived in his office, he had a 30-40 minute argument with me pressuring me to let him lower the hairline and make a V-shape hairline. I told him NO, I need to save my grafts for future hairloss because I'm only 29. He said I have enough grafts and I will be fine in the future. (LIE). I told him I don't get good growth because I have done transplants before and the yield wasn't very great. He said he's much better than western doctors because he does 3-5 transplants a day and has been doing it for years whereas western doctors only do maybe 1 transplant a day. He said I will look very handsome if I get the V-shape hairline because the face has to be proportional and some other bullshit. I told him I don't want it because I also don't have money for it. I only came with a budget of 1200. He said "Come On. You are from canada. People come from abroad and get 5000 grafts easily." He said "Your ticket itself costs $1200. Don't you have any relatives here you can ask for money?" Man i was pissed and wanted to leave, but I had to get the transplant done at that time because I had taken a long vacation from work and could only fit in the transplant during my vacation because I couldn't go to work right after transplant. If not that year, then I would have to wait another year and I planned on getting married next year. So I really wanted to do it. Also I thought maybe he's right because He's recommended on this site and people gave good reviews here. I thought maybe he's just greedy but he'll do a good job and I'll actually look good. I thought he does have tons of experience and has videos of small time celebrities coming to him for transplant. All this made me question myself and trust this son of a bitch. I didn't want to upset him by refusing to let him do what he strongly wants and then he fucks up my surgery because he's pissed. So i made the worst decision of my life. Which cost me $8000. 2600 priceless grafts which will never come back. And a botched hairline. He actually made the hairline worse than before. It seems like the previous hairline has gotten thinner because he must have transected the previous hair roots. Now I have a much lower hairline which is very thin and looks substantially worse than before. What's more is that 10% of the hair that grew only grew to 1cm length which makes no sense. They just don't get any longer. I've never seen that before. That never happened with 3 transplants with Dr. Wong. Either the hair grew or didn't, but not halfway where they grew to 1cm and then stopped growing. Thinking about it pisses me off so much how I let him dupe me and not standing up for myself when I was right. 

We need to start a petition to ban this fraud from this site before he ruins more lives. 

Do you have any pictures?

Kindly post 

I‘m sorry to hear about these poor experiences.   The lesson to be learned is if you and the doctor are not on the same page, don‘t proceed with the HT.   Just don‘t.   I read too many accounts on this board where posters act like they are making an economic transaction.   They aren‘t.  They are choosing someone to take a scalpel to their head.  

How does this site make money anyway?  Does it impact who is recommended?

2 minutes ago, SBSinNYC said:

I‘m sorry to hear about these poor experiences.   The lesson to be learned is if you and the doctor are not on the same page, don‘t proceed with the HT.   Just don‘t.   I read too many accounts on this board where posters act like they are making an economic transaction.   They aren‘t.  They are choosing someone to take a scalpel to their head.  

The lesson to be learned is to be aware of conmen in the HT industry. 

5 hours ago, ILikeMyHair said:

Holy crap, same exact experience as me. That guy will push and push until you can’t take anymore and pressure you until he gets his way. Which isn’t uncommon in hair transplant industry, but he agrees prior to your arrival to your wants in online consultations like the snake that he is. 

Soni is a hack conman, like the three of us just stated on this thread. He’s not a good surgeon and will prey on those that fly from out of country (he knows you went through a lot to fly to his clinic). He will take advantage of you. He claims to do fue, but he really can’t. Stay away from him.

5 hours ago, SBSinNYC said:

No, we were on the same page. I made sure I tell him what I want and don’t want which he agreed upon. 

Problem is he cant do fue, he lied to me and changed his tone once I arrived. He stayed until night pressuring me, brought his family too and even they started pressuring me. Snake conman.

22 minutes ago, Toby0823 said:

No, we were on the same page. I made sure I tell him what I want and don’t want which he agreed upon. 

Problem is he cant do fue, he lied to me and changed his tone once I arrived. He stayed until night pressuring me, brought his family too and even they started pressuring me. Snake conman.

I understand.  That is called “bait and switch”.   Something you’d expect from a used car salesman.   Your job is to run, not walk, but run away when that happens.  

He may be a conman, but you allowed yourself to be conned.   I’m sorry this happened to you.   I want your experience to help others. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SBSinNYC said:

I understand.  That is called “bait and switch”.   Something you’d expect from a used car salesman.   Your job is to run, not walk, but run away when that happens.  

He may be a conman, but you allowed yourself to be conned.   I’m sorry this happened to you.   I want your experience to help others. 

Agree, I should have ran. But to my credit, it’s not as easy to turn away like from a car dealership when I took time off work, flew from US to India, and made plans just to turn away. 

But I agree, I should have ran, ran as soon as I heard that scammer talk. 

Edited by Toby0823

On a brighter note, buzz cut, fue, and smp did wonders for me (I’d be completely bald up top if it wasn’t for that). 4K graft Fue from Turkey did it’s job, I’d feel perfect if I had not gone to India to see the scammer (Soni). My scar will forever be there, my shame in full view. I suggest to just stay in good shape, dress well, and make $ and you’ll still be better than most men with hair. Although, I’m not afraid to admit my insecurity with my scar. Picture below for you to see my buzz cut (non edited iPhone pics). 

9250BA12-E93A-49FD-B453-28052727C3E4.jpeg

E9BE4344-4953-4B8A-A65C-B45C1047ED1B.jpeg

4B3F61C3-6C3E-4A89-8265-AE9898C07CBE.jpeg

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, ILikeMyHair said:

No Dr. Soni is a complete conman and that's what happened. He pressured me as well and fooled me the same way he did this guy. Agreed on something else in the emails, then in person on the day before the surgery, pressured me for 40 min to let him lower my hairline. Despicable human being. Completely unethical. And you should think twice before praising him. Your glowing reviews of him were part of the reason I succumbed to the pressure of this conman.

Fair enough, I have to respect your thoughts.  They are of your experience and you provided photo documentation of your results.  I was quoted 4K of FUT and 1K of FUE in my online consults w/Dr. Soni.

I got 4.5K of FUT and 500 FUE on the day of surgery.  So that was a 5K of grafts consult - 5K of grafts on surgery day.  I wasn't 'fooled' in any way - but maybe you read something wrong.  I wrote a positive review because my personal individual experience was positive, I enjoyed the staff and interaction at his clinic for a few days and everything I saw from Dr. Soni was professional and of the nature of an experienced competent and skilled surgeon. 

I have no reason to say otherwise, I'm not paid nor a shill but I am nothing more and nothing less than another guy on this forum who wanted to give a very very detailed write up on my procedure and long personal hair transplant and balding genetic/family history so others can learn more and then do their own research and decision making.

I'm going to write a nauseatingly long response - so everyone knows my follow up.  It's really long but entirely my experience. 

I am so sorry you had bad/no growth and a dramatically lowered hairline done and interaction w/Dr. Soni that you do not feel was appropriate for your needs.  I really am - I can't comment more 'cause I'm not you, but I believe you feel you really knew what you wanted based on past experience and what you wanted.   You seem quite intelligent and as a former H&W patient that went through 'touchups' and an experienced hairloss patient - having a procedure that didn't work out for you and dramatically reduces your lifetime donor - I don't need to say anymore. 

I am very surprised Dr. Soni was so persistent in his thoughts going in a totally different direction from your wishes and your online consult and agreed upon plans.  Very surprised.  

I had a great time at the clinic and got exactly what I wanted.  That really sucks for you - I'm not good with pressure and from reading your entire thread even w/H&W you had initial issues w/growth in that area of your scalp (very frontal where there was no hair).

I got what I wanted for my extremely fine/thin hair.  I have the finest hair I know - even 15K of grafts on me wouldn't look as good as someone w/really good hair characteristics @5K of grafts.

I'll just relate what I got from Dr. Soni.

Grafts that grew, all dissected properly with German microscopes at proper magnification by a highly-experienced tech team,  properly angled single hairs for 200 graft temple points on each side to another 4.5K grafts placed from frontal hairline (high-end of low up to medium density of grafts) to mid-scalp (somewhat lower density grafts) to vertex (much lower density of grafts).

My very frontal hairline are all singles properly angled (as good as the surgery I had w/Dr. Feller in 2004 and I have terminal hair throughout my scalp now).

I do believe I had alot of shock loss for 6+ months due to the size of my surgery and I had a certain amount of miniaturized hairs throughout the mid-scalp and vertex that probably went away for good.  These miniaturized hairs were much older than when I had my 2250 graft procedure w/Dr. Feller in 2004 and frankly, I don't think I had any miniaturized hairs left from my frontal third up to the middle-back of my scalp - that was all transplanted hair from my previous surgeries - none of which went further back than the very back of the frontal 1/3rd to maybe 1/4th of my scalp.

I replaced a see through front/top and slowly-losing vertex w/over 10K hairs - my scar healed very well on the sides into the temple.  The scar in the middle (3 inches or so) stretched some, my closure was very tight.  I'm not entirely satisfied with the width of my scar in the middle portion - but I have a strip scar lower from Dr. Feller, two more on the lower middle/sides from 400 and 700 grafts in '93/'94 and even two more small ones from 110 and 100 grafts in '90/'91.  

It's a war zone back there for sure.   When I have my final FUT, (if I am still a candidate) I'll try and consolidate one or more scars and have them take from the best donor area remaining.

I do think the grafts in my crown (not too many placed there - probably 500 or so since I still had about 30% of my initial density there of regular hairs there) took longer to grow in.

What I think helped me was final results hitting me after about 18 months (everything synced up and a hair transplant typically takes final form in fine-haired recipients w/very slow-growing hair 18-24 months after a transplant).

I don't think I was lucky nor an exception to the rule as a Dr. Soni patient.  Yes, I'm not Indian nor do I have that jet-black thick/wiry hair most of them do.  My hair is auburn/brown and extremely fine and wimpy.  I don't see any gaps in my hair from front to back.  It's all filled in (yet probably only about 45% original density - thus why ideally I plan on doing another 2.5K up to 6K or so of grafts to bump up the recipient density to above 55% or so for full cosmetic 'ILLUSION' of a regular head of wimpy/fine hair). 

I might even sprinkle in a few thousand of beard hair from the back of the frontal zone to the vertex when I'm older and if I want to go that way (baldness never stops).

I also want to get more density in my frontal hairline and transition zone - since my hair diameter is so thin/fine - I need way more hairs than regular men to create that illusion of full density.

Everything at Dr. Soni's clinic seemed at the standards I wanted.  He has done well over 2K surgeries, uses an experienced tech team, he does FUT w/trichophytic closure, has authored chapters in surgical texts, belongs to proper medical associations, angles hair correctly throughout all zones of scalp, uses industry-best follicular-unit dissecting microscopes & can do megasessions via FUT or combo FUT/FUE.

I see so much consistency in his work w/advanced hairloss patients - in clear video w/regular scalps and a wide variety of ages from younger to older.

I do think he does too many surgeries per day - but he is at the clinic  and does all FUE extractions and recipient sites himself and of course does the strip as well.  His residence is the top floor of the clinic and his wife is a dentist in the same building.  So, he is hands on and available pretty much all the time.

Allow to me admit that I thought my growth from my procedure w/Dr. Soni was lagging - for well over a year.  But I was shaving my head to stubble that entire time and up until Sept. of '18 (18 months from my surgery in late March '16) after my surgery because I'm weird and I didn't want to grow out my hair and be potentially disappointed.  I was being OCD about it. 

I knew I had acceptable results on the temple points he rebuilt and the very frontal hairline - 'cause I could see that growth even when I stubbled my hair w/a stubble electric trimmer every 4-6 weeks.

Although my hair is extremely fine, my face is framed better now.  Of course I want to add density to my frontal hairline and just behind it, almost everyone does, especially if you have fine/straight hair.  I still look like I have thinning hair.  I only have about 40-45% of my original density - but all of the transplanted hair is terminal and my donor is of okay quality.  If you look at guys with very thin hair and their results on this website, that's me. 

When I style my hair it can look fairly normal.  If I wear a baseball cap for a few hours or wake up and my hair (I have very oily hair as well) is not combed - I look a bit thinning, but no big gaps or blatant bald spots.

I'll wait until after my final FUT surgery and have a surgeon cherry-pick my best FUE's for that.  I haven't decided on the surgeon I want for my final surgeries for FUE - most likely H&W or Shapiro or another extremely experienced doctor who really is meticulous about cherry-picking FUE grafts and also can dense-pack w/artistry the final very-frontal hairline and transition zone behind it.

I may have 4K of grafts left, 3K or maybe 6K - I don't know.  That's why in my next round of pic consults (after a few in-person consults) I'll have my hair evaluated at a length of 6 inches and then cut down to 1 inch and then shaved to stubble, so a full evaluation can be done.

Even though I have had 8.8K of grafts (110 and 100 in '90-'91, 400 and 700 in '92-'94 and 2250 in '04 and 5000 in '16) - I want and will have more.  Every single male family member in my immediate family and extended family are all NW 6-7's.  My pictures I sent Dr. Soni in Feb of '16 show a NW5 guy (why I was quoted 5K+ of grafts by the majority of my physician consults) - I feel I now have terminal, good-quality hairs from my donor all over my head.

Finally, I do believe my growth was much slower overall this time (even w/me shaving my head for 18 months after surgery) - probably 'cause I was 50 years old when I had the surgery, 5K is a huge procedure and alot of trauma for the scalp, I wasn't on brand-name Avodart (had been using generics for years) - wasn't on the laser, wasn't on the aggressive oral meds yet either.

When I have another procedure (probably later this year in the late fall) I'll request my photos from Dr. Soni from March 2016 and the pictures I sent him and then do a proper photo story of it.  I'll compare my photos of 2 months of grown out hair in March '16 prior to my procedure w/Dr. Soni and before I get another FUT surgery, if I can still have one - I'll have my hair cut to look exactly like 2 months of grown-out hair. 

I'll have my face blurred out on all my photos.  I'm not a picture person - especially on the internet.

WARNING: The rest of my post is a wall of text/paragraphs of me and my anal regimen - (optional reading I suppose for regular guys). 

Everyone's mileage may vary and results may vary individually - but I KNOW that a proper laser w/alot of diodes used at least 5X's per week but not more than 6X's per week over time de-ages the hair and turns back the clock, so to speak,  on any EXISTING hair in 12-18 months is healthier, which helps overall.  Clinical studies have shown varying levels of improvement.  It is subtle but your existing hair improves over TIME.  You need to use the right laser helmet/cap w/alot of diodes and use the laser more than 3-4X's per week for optimal results over time.

Yes, one 'may' regrow some weaker hair and thinning areas may shrink a bit - this is almost entirely due to existing hair (terminal and all hairs that are higher quality than vellus hairs) getting thicker, able to grow longer and having a longer growing cycle.

I do KNOW that oral minox and oral Spiro and brand-name Avodart are a kick-ass combo of systemic high-potency hairloss DRUGS that work synergistically together -especially when they are all used together for the 1st few years. 

So,  I'm really anal about 'treatments' 'cause I know how stressful hair surgery is for older people w/fine hair and miniaturization and terrible family genetics - so at 6 months after my last surgery in '16 - since I was still shaving my head and was trying not to think about my final18 month mark that was coming up in September of '18 when I would start letting my hair grow again I decided to for better/worse to research and then gradually amp up my regimen and help my megasession of 5K grafts any way I could for the long term.

1) I ordered a 420+ diode hair laser from overmachogrande.com and since September of 2017 5X's per week religously for 22 minutes I use it.

2) Also, I have been taking brand name 10mg of brand name Loniten (oral minox) and 100mg brand name oral Spiro (Aldactone) since the beginning of May '18 - yes, I know the potential side effects.  I checked everything out initially w/my physician and the 1st month/3rd/6 month and nothing negative thus far.

3) I also switched back to brand name Avodart in April of '18 - (I was taking generic Avodart since '08 - previous to that I was on brand name Avodart since '02).  It is common knowledge that generics are often 70% as effective as brand names in the pharmaceutical industry.  The quality of the main ingredients matter - very much so in hairloss meds.  Generics use the cheapest possible in terms of cost primary generic ingredients of an original patented drug - that's a fact.

In fact H&W believe this as well - they highly encourage all patients use Dutasteride (Avodart name brand) and Finasteride (Propecia name brand).  That should tell you something - and they are doctor's that practice in Canada - not U.S. based.

I hope this rather lengthy reply of my personal experience is useful to others.  The question is would I go back for another FUT from Dr. Soni?  I didn't go back to Dr. Feller and his FUT results of 2250 grafts on me in '04 were done correctly.  Dr. Feller did a conservative surgery - Dr. Soni's was 2X's more aggressive.  My scar (about 2.5 to 3 inches in the middle) from Dr. Soni is not what I would consider ideal, it stretched a bit.

My final FUT surgery, if I can have one - be it 1K or 2K or ? grafts I will once again be going for the most bang for my buck and trying for alot of grafts.  I'll consult again w/Dr. Soni, Hattingen Clinic, H&W & probably Rahal & Shapiro.  I don't know if I want to go all the way over to Europe and Asia again, but if I can combine it w/another 6 week vacation like last time - who knows?

I think it's 50/50 I can have a final FUT surgery; I might have to have parts of the worst sections of two of my scars excised and re-closed - yielding me maybe only several hundred grafts or up to ? grafts. 

I tell everyone I know to NEVER have hair surgery - it's a game of diminishing returns for most patients.  Especially if you continue to lose hair or began balding in one's 20's.  Even w/lots of surgeries and the best meds and regimes - baldness is a progressive condition.

I say especially don't have surgery if you have fine/thin hair (in microns) and it is very very straight - and you began losing it early in life.  My family history is stacked against me 100%.  I keep fighting baldness, but it's just an avocational hobby at this point.

It doesn't really matter in the long run as a person.

Edited by jjsrader
Crappy spelling errors & further clarification.

I had great results from Dr Suneet, but I think he lies about the number of  grafts to steal your money. He just looks at you and gives you a graft number without proving it. 

Just now, Khali said:

I had great results from Dr Suneet, but I think he lies about the number of  grafts to steal your money. He just looks at you and gives you a graft number without proving it. 

Okay.  I counted w/him my FUE 500 grafts.  I also watched my strip dissected via microscope into follicular units.  I didn't get an individual 'breakdown' of hair groupings. 

I didn't get that info from Dr. Feller in '04 when I had 2250 grafts either.  But I did look at my graphs being dissected via microscope by his techs as well.  Suppose someone could count all of a Dr.'s 'slits' as he goes along - but being drugged and in the middle of a surgical procedure makes that difficult.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, jjsrader said:

Okay.  I counted w/him my

FUE 500 grafts.  I also watched my strip dissected via microscope into follicular units.  I didn't get an individual 'breakdown' of hair groupings. 

I didn't get that info from Dr. Feller in '04 when I had 2250 grafts either.  But I did look at my graphs being dissected via microscope by his techs as well.  Suppose someone could count all of a Dr.'s 'slits' as he goes along - but being drugged and in the middle of a surgical procedure makes that difficult.

Dr Radha with whom I had my first procedure took out 2600 grafts. She told me for a second procedure you get around 2000+ grafts. Dr Suneet sees me, and without even cutting the strip says I will get 3800. He does not prove it. Then when I asked his assistant  just to see if Dr Suneet was accurate  about the number of grafts, he replies by saying why don't you ask the doctor himself. Trust me if i had asked him, he would probably go in a room  for 10 mins and find numbers to add up to the  3800. I think he had the money fixed in his head.  Anyway, I was a bald man who suffered a lot, and I wanted this done. To be honest my life has changed for the better. 

Edited by Khali

I don't know why you are putting this kind of words against Dr. Soni, I also got a great results from there (Dr. Suneet) with 3000 grafts, you see my thread here : 

he explain me everything clearly on the day of surgery as well also see the my strip dissection through video assisted microscopes. I am also a doctor know each and every points clearly.

He is a very good surgeon, they changed my life. 

@Toby0823 Results depends upon person to person, may be some misunderstanding from your side, whatever the reason I don't know and for grafts what they explain me they deliver that much of grafts.

13 hours ago, Toby0823 said:

On a brighter note, buzz cut, fue, and smp did wonders for me (I’d be completely bald up top if it wasn’t for that). 4K graft Fue from Turkey did it’s job, I’d feel perfect if I had not gone to India to see the scammer (Soni). My scar will forever be there, my shame in full view. I suggest to just stay in good shape, dress well, and make $ and you’ll still be better than most men with hair. Although, I’m not afraid to admit my insecurity with my scar. Picture below for you to see my buzz cut (non edited iPhone pics). 

9250BA12-E93A-49FD-B453-28052727C3E4.jpeg

E9BE4344-4953-4B8A-A65C-B45C1047ED1B.jpeg

4B3F61C3-6C3E-4A89-8265-AE9898C07CBE.jpeg

I’m glad things worked out for you, but your experience requires some explanation on the doctors part. Please send me a private message with your full name and surgery date. I will reach out to Dr. Soni to respond to this thread. If possible please share the before and after pictures of your results. Obviously, prior to receiving smp and buzzing your hair.

Unfortunately, while an unpleasant experience is certainly something that should be discussed. We can not in good faith reach out to a doctor about failed results if the results are not at 12 months. 

Best wishes,

I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

My Hair Transplant Journey

Melvin- Editorial Assistant and Forum Co-Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.