People who have had Beard FUEs

Hi guys,

People who have had hairs taken from their beard ABOVE the jawline (chin, mustache, under the chin), have you had any issues with scarring/hypopigmentation?

I've heard only good things about beard FUE extractions, even above the jawline (mainly from HDC clinic and Dr. Bisanga)

I am looking to get this done, with small punch size (hopefully 0.6-0.8mm) plus Acell and PRP. Not sure which doctor to go to yet. Any recommendations?

You are probably wondering why. I am looking to reverse a scalp to beard FUE i had done before. I don't like it, it looks bad, I have gaps in my scalp donor area that I want to fix, and i just want to get this over and done with.

Thank you

I had ACell PRP performed by a very respectable doctor on here. I wouldn't recommend. You're causing a lot of trauma to your scalp by doing it, and the rewards are minimal to non existent. The only positive stories I've ever seen on here are from doctors (Welsey, Cooley, Bisnaga). I've never seen a single patient who has had his life changed by PRP.

I would go to Bisanga. Only use someone that uses a manual punch. I hate motorized FUE and have seen adjacent follicles traumatized. You don't want that on your face.

What i mean by Acell and PRP is when it is applied to the donor area after extraction. Not as a standalone procedure.

Does anyone have a list of doctors who use only manual punches?

Thanks

People who have had hairs taken from their beard ABOVE the jawline (chin, mustache, under the chin), have you had any issues with scarring/hypopigmentation?

The short answer is that no, it doesn't cause any scarring. However, if you have sensitive skin (which I have) and have a lot of hair extracted (>1000) the area can look red and blotchy for a few months. In-grown hairs can also be a problem and take time to clear. I had a lot of hair extracted and found that it took around 4 months for everything to clear and get a nice even skin tone again.

The unexpected up-sides (apart from the net gain of hair on the scalp) is that the skin appears more youthful due to the reduction in the eleven o'clock shadow and I no longer have to shave everyday. :)

I've had grafts taken from the cheeks and chin. No noticeable scarring. I've seen pictures of what bad FUE looks like, but in my case there is minimal marking. Depends on who you go to and their experience.

did the extract grafts survive well on the scalp?

I've had grafts taken from the cheeks and chin. No noticeable scarring. I've seen pictures of what bad FUE looks like, but in my case there is minimal marking. Depends on who you go to and their experience.

Who did you go if you don’t mind me asking?

did the extract grafts survive well on the scalp?

Yes, in my case at least, they survived to the new areas. I have relatively course hair as it is, so these don't stand out as much as it would for someone with finer hair. Can feel the difference between hairs that were grafted from the back and sides of the head to those from my face though.

According to my surgeon who has worked with grafts from the beard for many years, the hairs from the beard area do very well on the scalp, but not so much hairs lower down, from the body. I'd be more wary about depending on getting coverage, or density, from chest, arm or leg grafts.

• 3 weeks later...

It would be very helpful if more patients who had this type of surgery done could post their pics and results.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

See what I mean?...not many willing to share their results.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, gillenator said:

See what I mean?...not many willing to share their results.

Very few people have grafts extracted from above the jawline and on the cheek area. Almost all beard donor areas are from under the chin. Other areas are only used in extreme cases. On top of that the original poster was asking about removing grafts that were placed into the beard and having those now removed. This has to be such a rare case that I doubt you are going to find anyone to post about it here.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Makes sense.

Gillenator