H&W Topical Finasteride

hockeyman

Hi Guys.

I'm interested in hearing some feedback from people who are using the latest version of H&W's topical finasteride. I read a few of the blog posts on their website and it sounds as if it is very effective - at least as effective as the oral version. They mention that they have 800 patients using it. If any users could comment on their experiences thus far - side effects, effectiveness, ease of application, etc. it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a complex question, but I'll share some things we know so far.

This is a complex question, but I'll share some things we know so far.

First off, topical finasteride is not FDA approved for hair loss. Any use is off label. I'm going to limit all discussions here to men as use in women is not FDA approved.

Is topical finasteride safer? Does it get absorbed? Well, it ALL comes down to the dose.

Yes, it gets absorbed into the blood and yes it lowers DHT levels.

1% finasteride topical solution is going to have different effects than an 8 % solution. 0.25 % finasteride is going to be different yet! If I were to make up 0.0000000001% finasteride topical solution, it would likely be quite safe with little if an absorption. However, it probably wouldn't do anything for patients with hair loss. So it comes down to dose. One should not talk about topical finasteride unless they are prepared to talk about the dose

So let's talk about what we do know.

A study of 0.25 % topical finasteride reduced DHT levels to the same amount as standard 1 mg finasteride. We don't yet have any data to know if this translates into it working just as good, worse or better.

What about side effects?

We don't know that either. If sexual performance and mood levels are related to DHT then it's pretty likely that lots of men using topical finasteride would be expected to have side effects too. These studies have not been done and we don't know.

For hair loss in men, it appears that it comes down to inhibiting DHT. Inhibit it more and you'll get a better outcome for hair loss and you'll get more side effects too

Topical finasteride gets into the blood and inhibits DHT. Side effects are possible. We need to be very careful assuming topical means safer. The scalp is a wonderful way to get drugs into the body.

Reference

A novel finasteride 0.25% topical solution for androgenetic alopecia: pharmacokinetics and effects on plasma androgen levels in healthy male volunteers.Caserini M, et al. Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2014.

Hi Guys.

I'm interested in hearing some feedback from people who are using the latest version of H&W's topical finasteride. I read a few of the blog posts on their website and it sounds as if it is very effective - at least as effective as the oral version. They mention that they have 800 patients using it. If any users could comment on their experiences thus far - side effects, effectiveness, ease of application, etc. it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I did use the topical finestride 2.5% version. And at first I had started applying much lower than the recommended amount to see how I would react. Everything seemed fine for the 1st week. Then I started applying the recommended dosage and on the 2nd day of using the recommended dosage I got pretty bad headaches and also my eyes were hurting when using the computer. Had some vision issues not being able to focus properly. Couldn't think properly. Also for some reason, when I was on oral finestride for more than a year, I had started experiencing pain in a lot of my joints and was very prone to injury. The pain slowly went away 5 months after stopping oral fin. When I started this topical solution I started feeling sharp pain in my joints again. I thought about lowering the dosage, but talked to the pharmacist and she suggested I should just stop it as it seems serious. So I stopped using it and decided to go for another hair transplant. Wasted $240 for 3 month supply and only ended up using for 2 weeks.

Also I wouldn't describe myself as having a normal state of mind. Been pretty anxious and having bad sleep for a few years. So maybe that might have played into it since Dr. Wong said nobody has reported any side effects so far. For me it wasn't worth the sides. Sides went away day after I stopped using it.

Didn't experience any other side effects other than the ones I mentioned.

Applying it is easy like rogaine.