1600 FU - Dr Katz - Philadelphia - HT

well, It really comes down to what you ultimately want.. Density vs. Coverage.

It's obvious we all want both, but most of the time it's not an option. For me, coverage outways density. I would raither have an even coverage and no bald spots, than having a dense coverage in the front and a bald crown. Just doesn't seem to way evenly. Just my opinion. But also remember your doc's recommendation, he or she has seen many experiances with this question.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hair,

That's a good point...I am honestly not certain...I think what I want is a dense hairline and front half, but of course, I still want some coverage in the back....so I don't have this thick front and bald back...but, I don't know...it's a very good point to think about though. Thanks. More feedback is appreciated!

Bill

• 1 month later...

9 month pic update. This is probably about as good as it gets? I don't know. It's definately much better than before surgery...but it definately shows me that I have more work to do. Off to prep for a second surgery...oh decisions! What does everyone think? Do you think that another 2000 grafts in the front will be good to fill in the front for the most part? What do you al think? Thanks

Bill,

I agree that it definitely looks better than pre-op. From your post, it sounds like you want to continue on the hairline with 2,000 more grafts? Is that correct? You have a good bit of acreage to consider at the crown. My concern is with your available donor hair. Are you ok with leaving the crown "as is" or maybe a light session after you do work up at the hairline?

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Bill, hairline looks great!! I have to agree with Robert....

I think you should consider attacking the back.

If you go a large enough session, you still may be able to get a little more density in the front too.

Good Luck and Looks GREAT!

Hi everyone and thanks for the comments.

Robert,

Yeah, I know what you mean...I am fine with leaving a thinner crown and having a fuller thicker hairline. Most people look at my face so I rather have a natural looking bald spot in the back with a nice thick hairline than have thin coverage everywhere. That being said, I have been so advised that I should have enough grafts to attack both the front and back, but we'll see. Bottom line? I'd be satisfied with a good thick and natural front half and a natural looking thin area in the back. I mean, I'd rather have it all...but if I had to choose, I rather attack the front.

Hair,

Thanks for your comments as well. Like I said....I much rather have a nice thick looking front half blending into a natural looking thinner crown than to have it thicker in the back and still thin in the front. However, docs have advised me that I should have enough to cover some of the back as well, so we'll attack the front, and then do the back on a third session....yikes! Don't want to jump the gun on the third...since I"m only just thinking about round 2.

Terry,

Yes, this was my first HT. I'm quite happy with the work for only 1600 grafts. My second session should be a little larger, so that will be good. Please, do post pics, I'd love to see them. Who was your doc by the way?

Bill

hey Bill,...

Everyone has different goals and opinions. Glad to see you have set yours.. Keep us all posted, as your decisions are made.

We are all watching you closely brother....

Looking good, and keep us posted!!

Originally posted by Bill:

Hi everyone and thanks for the comments.

Robert,

Yeah, I know what you mean...I am fine with leaving a thinner crown and having a fuller thicker hairline. Most people look at my face so I rather have a natural looking bald spot in the back with a nice thick hairline than have thin coverage everywhere. That being said, I have been so advised that I should have enough grafts to attack both the front and back, but we'll see. Bottom line? I'd be satisfied with a good thick and natural front half and a natural looking thin area in the back. I mean, I'd rather have it all...but if I had to choose, I rather attack the front.

Hair,

Thanks for your comments as well. Like I said....I much rather have a nice thick looking front half blending into a natural looking thinner crown than to have it thicker in the back and still thin in the front. However, docs have advised me that I should have enough to cover some of the back as well, so we'll attack the front, and then do the back on a third session....yikes! Don't want to jump the gun on the third...since I"m only just thinking about round 2.

Terry,

Yes, this was my first HT. I'm quite happy with the work for only 1600 grafts. My second session should be a little larger, so that will be good. Please, do post pics, I'd love to see them. Who was your doc by the way?

Bill

Bill, thanks for replying. My ht was similar to yours, in that most of the grafts were placed in the frontal area and some in the crown. My hairline looks dramatically better, but I still have an uncovered area in the crown. My Dr. was Dr. Mark Distefano in Worcester, MA.I had 2814 grafts on 10/1/2004. By the way, TMAN had Dr. Distefano, too.His pics are on this site.Good luck, Terry Mitchell.

Hair,

Indeed...yeah, I know everyone had different goals. The one thing I have determined is that it doesn't matter so much what your goals are, as long as you have them and know what your goals are to make you happy. For me...I'd love a full head of hair...lol....but if I can't, I'd rather have the front back then the crown. Thanks for your support...I appreciate it and need it!

Terry,

Sounds awesome! I forget...did you say you have any pics of your surgery? I'd love to see before and after pics! Good stuff!

I THINK IT LOOKS GREAT.

HOW CAN THESE GUYS BE CRITICAL.DOESNT LOOKS LIKE A FABRICATED HAIR LINE

Hello all. I actually posted these pictures on another part of the site, but since this is a photos section, I thought I would post them here. I just got an HT and am at 3 days Post OP. The pictures I will post right now are from a month before the surgery and 2 Day Post Op Pics. <BR><BR>I'd love to get some feedback from you all, especially those who have had HT before. How does the post op look?

Originally posted by markcia:

I THINK IT LOOKS GREAT.

HOW CAN THESE GUYS BE CRITICAL.DOESNT LOOKS LIKE A FABRICATED HAIR LINE

Hello all. I actually posted these pictures on another part of the site, but since this is a photos section, I thought I would post them here. I just got an HT and am at 3 days Post OP. The pictures I will post right now are from a month before the surgery and 2 Day Post Op Pics. <BR><BR>I'd love to get some feedback from you all, especially those who have had HT before. How does the post op look?

Bill- You are half way there. Most are putting 3K + into hairline. I agree with you. Hairline is the way to go. It's so much easier cover the back. Hairline is the make or break. Your Doc did a great job! Very natural looking hairline.

Markcia,

Thanks for the comments! I appreciate your feedback!

Jacobs.

Thanks man....yeah, I guess I'm half way there. I'll definately be focusing on the hairline for the second session, like you said. I've had 800 put there so far, and I will be doing most likely about 2000 more in the hairline and then we'll see how it looks! Hopefully then I can begin to target the back. Thanks man. I think Dr. Katz did a great job too for only 1600 grafts!

Bill

• 4 months later...

I just added a shot of me from 7 weeks after my first surgery. I thought it might be beneficial to share this for those who are discouraged about shockloss. I was really discouraged, but guess what? Things changed in about a month, and the hairs started coming in and some/most native shocklossed hair returned. Keep in good spirits...it's hard, I've been there twice now! Compare this new pic with the picture next to it. It is extremely discouraging and we have doubts...but the new hair grows in, and the strong healthy hairs that were shocklossed grow back. Hope this helps.

Bill