1600 FU - Dr Katz - Philadelphia - HT

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all!

Added 2 month update pics! I am hoping by the time I add the 3 month update pics that there will be a big difference. I really don't see any additional hairs yet...maybe a few in the hairline popping through...but nothing to jump out yet! Comments and encouragement would be helpful! Thanks

Bill

Bill,

Looks great so far, buddy! I am almost 4 months post op and I have some growth. Not anything dramatic yet, which I can't wait for the big sprout to happen, but you've still got some waiting to do before you see a big change. You seemed to have healed nicely. Good luck!

Hi all!

I am hoping by the time I add the 3 month update pics that there will be a big difference.

Bill

you will be very disappointed if you expect a huge difference at 3 months. In fact, at 3 months my hair was still worse than before the HT due to shock. While all patients are different, 3 months is a bit early to expect anything visibly significant. I noticed a huge explosion at around 4.5 months that continues now (6 months). You are at the absolute worst part of the HT - waiting. Postpone your hopes to see significant results until 5 or 6 months, which is more realistic, and then you can be delightfully surprised if it happens sooner. You're almost there bud!

The time at which the transplants kick-in varies quite a bit from what I've experienced and what others here have reported.

Some people here have reported slow growth starting as late as the 4th month. I personally experienced something closer to the opposite extreme 10 years ago at age 32 (first HT). At that time they started popping up at week 9 and were coming on strong by week 11. Hoping for the same speediness this time with the help of some supplements.

Thanks Hugh and Spock!

I appreciate the encouragement and feedback. Yes, perhaps I do need a "reality" check and not get my hopes up too high for 3 months. I am hoping, but I guess I should recognize that 4 or 5 months would be a better forward point. Thanks for that, because for some reason I had 3 months in my head as the time things would really be sprouting, but I should realize that even as others have shown, it doesn't always happen that way. Spock, you must be one of the lucky ones then if your hair started to sprout that early. That's awesome and encouraging. I do hope that happens to me, but only time will tell. Yes, this is the worst part of the HT it seems. I want something to happen..NOW. Haha. You know what I mean? Oh well. I will post monthly updates with progress. Next update should be around January 1st! Feel free to make anymore comments or suggestions!

By the way, I have read that it's good to wait between 12 and 15 months before considering a 2nd HT...does that sound accurate? Thanks.

Bill

Bill,

I always encourage patients to wait at least one year for their next procedure. As Hugh mentioned, six months out from surgery you will notice lots of growth coming in and there can still be some coming in as late as 9 months post-op. The "full maturation" level includes optimal caliper development so the transplanted hair should also gain full coarseness by one year. That is when you will be able to evaluate the full effects of coverage from the 1600 grafts.

I read some of the comments regarding Dr. Katz not wanting to do more than 1600 in a single session. My opnion is that is due to the fact that 1600 grafts is a "big day" for him and his staff. Back in 2001, 2002 I heard he did not want to do more than approximately 1200 grafts. I think he is somewhat set in his ways from the ole' Bosley and MHR days. I have seen a fair amount of his work since he left Bosley and I have to say that it all looked good. These were basically patients from Philadelphia and the East Coast.

I have met Dr. Katz in person but not as a prospective patient. I asked him a fair amount of questions regarding FU procedures mostly because I heard his training was in micro-mini graft procedures that Bosley was doing. He also claims he was personally trained by Dr. Bosley which may be true. He was somewhat evasive in his answers but stated he likes moving hair in groupings of mostly ones and twos and some threes. Possibly he is doing FUT procedures now. I was not that impressed with his staff but that is my opinion for whatever it's worth. Still his work looked okay on the patients I had seen that had work done by him since 2001. I think you will be happy with the results. Thanks for all the pics and happy growth!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Bill,

I am almost 6 months post-op and there is no way that I would consider another procedure this soon for a couple of reasons:

1) Just what was said before; hair is still popping up. You want to wait until full maturation.

2) At 6 months you are just beginning to enjoy what you just had done! Trust me you want to enjoy it a bit before waltzing back into the chair! I am walking around without a hat on for the first time in YEARS and it feels great! Make sure you don't rob yourself of that pleasure before concentrating too much on more more more right away.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Thanks guys!

Gillenator,

I appreciate the feedback and that's cool that you that you have met Dr. Katz and staff. I also appreciate hearing that you have seen results on his patients and that they turned out well. Are any of the patients members on this forum? I'd love to see some before and after pics from someone else who has used Dr. Katz. As far as I know, I will be the first on the forum to post before and after shots from Dr. Katz.

His staff seemed ok as far as I could tell. I mean, they certainly weren't doctor's, but they did their best to make me feel comfortable and were very thorough during the procedure. What about his staff didn't impress you specifically? Anyway, thanks again.

Robert,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I figured I would wait at least a year if not 15 months before going for a second procedure. I want to wait until full maturation before I even think about it. Plus, I want to see what it looks like at that point. I am certain, I will probably want more fullness and go back, but it might just make a big enough difference to make me happy! Thanks again!

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for the comments. No, I do not recognize anyone who is a past patient of Dr. Katz on the forum. Most of his past patients came to him from high-powered infomercials when he was at Bosley and then subsequently MHR. He never exposed himself to the internet until very recently. Because I am based out of the greater Wash DC area, I had lots of occaision to cross paths with his patients.

I simply was not impressed with his techs clinical knowledge and professionalism. The very best in this industry "LOVE" their work, the rest seem to view it as a ordinary job. The best techs and "docs" have a passion for improving techniques and skills, they do each procedure as if it were a gold medal event. They continue to educate themselves and contribute to making the procedure a better one. That's the type that impresses me.

Also glad to hear you are giving your first procedure time to mature.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Thanks gillenator,

I understand what you mean. I guess I would have to say I agree as far as the techs professionalism...at least as far as conversation went between themselves, but when it came down to doing the work, especially separating the grafts, they seemed very professional at that point, and they seemed to do a fine thorough job, so I can't complain. Although Dr. Katz in my opinion seemed extremely professional and courteous. What was your impression of Dr. Katz in terms of professionalism when you met him, etc. My wife and I were impressed.

Bill

Bill,

I had for years heard rumors about his temperament from patients and others who had worked with him. Still, I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. I wanted to form my own opinion based on my interactions with him, observed how he interacted with the staff when patients were not in the clinic, how he handled pressure/stressful events etc. I spent three days with him which was not all my choosing but had the opportunity to make a fair amount of observations.

In my opinion his consultations were all the same. He uses a power point presentation and he showed no enthusiam, very redundent, very monotone, sort of a one approach fits all, the only difference was the graft recommendations. He was very accomodating and polite to the patients, but seemed to change into a completely reversed mood when dealing with staff, office issues, etc. once the patients were gone. Kind of the Dr. Jeckel/Mr.Hyde thing if you know what I mean. His staff appeared to be intimidated by him or appeared to keep their distance from him when the mood changes manifested. Seemed like a very militant atmosphere which I personally detest. Keep in mind these are my own observations and opinions and I try to look for as much objectivity in anybody. I wanted to be proved wrong based on the rumors I had heard for years.

Gillenator

Hi all!

I added some pics of 2.5 months because I am starting to feel (not necessarily see too much) several new hairs on the top of my head and hairline as I gently touch it with my fingers. Looking at the pics, I think I can see a little bit of difference. What do you think? Comparing the pics...does it seem to you that there is new growth? Thanks!

Bill

fal, your story cracks me up!!

I'm definetly going to direct people to your journey.

It's hard to tell from your photo, but I'm sure you are getting some new stuff going on.

I told ya!! It's one heck of a roller coaster ride!! Can't wait for the next update!!

Happy Growing!!

LOL. Thanks Hair! Yeah, my story cracks me up too! But yeah, it's weird...I feel like I have a little tiny buzz cut underneath my hair...as you say, I can't really see too much yet, but even when looking from a distance where it used to look like I was completely bald in the front under certain light, it looks like I just have a small buzz in the front. Of course, not as thick as an actual buzz with a full head of hair, but there's a difference nonetheless!

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Question:

Hi all...I do have a question. I am starting to see a good amount of sprouting which is good, even when I compared pics I took from 10 weeks (posted), to 11 weeks (not posted), I noticed a slight difference around the hairline and see more hairs, etc, which is encouraging.

I am noticing that in one spot on the top of my head, I have a little pimple, most likely and ingrown hair? Does that sound right? I heard that this is possible. My question...what do you do for it? Does it go away on it's own, should I pop it (ouch), or should I put something on it? Thanks

Bill

I added some 3 month update pics. I want to know your honest opinions please. I am happy that I am seeing some hairs grow, however, being new to this, I don't really know how much more progress is in store. Can someone help me out? Based on the pics you see, how do you think it will look 3 months or 4 months from now? Please let me know. Thanks

Bill

Bill,

Those "pimples" are normal. You'll more than likely get quite a few more of them as time goes by. Don't pick at them much. You can pop 'em, but its probably better just to put a compress on them and leave it at that.

Happy growing, buddy.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

LOL. Thanks Big1. Yeah, I'm very impressed with the scar. Even a one clip barely shows it. The only thing is that the scar is a little red still, and from what I hear takes up to a year to fully go away. But as long as that happens, the scar will most likely be virtually undetectable! I'm excited about it. I can't wait for a couple more months to go by.

Bill

• 4 weeks later...