Hello all,

I had hair transplant recently at a very well known and reputable hair transplant clinic. I feel like things are going quite well, with one or two exceptions.

On day 21, I went to the clinic for a hair wash. I still had some crusts in my crown area and wanted them to have a look at it as well.

When I arrived at the clinic, the tech that was assisting told me I had not been cleaning that area well enough ( I had been too gentle). She appeared to discuss this with her associates and they decided the area needed to be exfoliated. Using a wet wash cloth, they cleaned my recepient area firmly and vigorously . I expressed concerns that they were doing this and they informed me multiple times I had nothing to worry about as I was three weeks out and the new hairs were well established. During the course of this, a large number of grafts shed. I was informed that this was all "dead hair" that should have shed already, had I been washing properly. There was obviously no blood or anything like that.

Although I trust the clinic and its staff, I still found the experience quite jarring. They will obviously remain unnamed, but rest assured they are a leader in the industry.

I guess I am just looking for some reassurance here and any independent confirmation that all of this was normal would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Yep, you are fine.....you don't want those scabs sitting on there for months....I would assume that would be a cleanliness issue which could affect growth. You didn't want that stuff turning into irritation, rash, infection, etc.

Sounds about right to me. 21 days is a long time. Scabs should all be off and clear by 12 days or so.

I know you want to nurture your precious grafts like a newborn but you can overdo it and it is counterproductive!!

Happy growth.

Yeah, thanks man. Most of the scabs were gone by day 14, but I found the crown area difficult to clean ( it involved lots of neck craning and a mirror ). I had somes crusts ( the yellow/white crumbly kind) there ( as opposed to the dark brownish scabs).

I've gone back to the clinic since and they said the scalp looks great at this point and im washing normally now. So yeah - now I wait for hopefully some excellent growth :) :)

you're 100% fine... those scabs with the transplanted hair are useless, its the follicle that's been under the skin that matters... 10 days post op or so that follicle is safely anchored and part of your scalp - in fact not having that area properly cleaned of the dead skin, crusting, etc may have inhibited growth, you want that area as clean as possible to promote re-growth of the follicle after its resting phase -

you're 100% fine... those scabs with the transplanted hair are useless, its the follicle that's been under the skin that matters... 10 days post op or so that follicle is safely anchored and part of your scalp - in fact not having that area properly cleaned of the dead skin, crusting, etc may have inhibited growth, you want that area as clean as possible to promote re-growth of the follicle after its resting phase -

Thanks man! I'm looking forward to growth! I think these next few months will be hard in terms of the wait haha.