32 Y.O. with hairline and temple loss. Help me evaluate my situation! [pictures] HT?

Hello all,

Thanks to this helpful forum I am now at a point where I've 95% decided to have an FUE surgery and my preferred physician right now is Dr Koray Erdogan.

But I'd still like to get some input.

My situation and plan:

*32 years old this year. Been losing my hairline and in my frontal third since I was about 27, although slowly.

*Will not use meds in the foreseeable future due to fear of sides.

*Want to rebuild hair line to old status, nothing too radical. Maybe lower it one centimeter on the sides and make it symmetrical.

*Rebuild right side temple to make it symmetrical to the left one, which is OK today.

*Forelock shouldn't be lowered but strengthened alongside the rest of the frontal third.

What do you think of my plan? What is the likelyhood of losing rapidly mid thirties or later?

Is it dangerous to the native hairs to put hair follicles inbetween? A lot of questions that I hope some of you can answer. :)

Right2.jpg.9677c975eabde650ddfaf74b321ed880.jpg

Right2b.jpg.a562c3f1e4b831aeb0f2a4245c86ef2f.jpg

Top.jpg.b384b49ae197287587fcd65d2107d5ef.jpg

Donor.jpg.975757e263bfd9afd49f4e8713348616.jpg

I really think your hair looks great as it is. IMO FUE will be higher risk/lower reward in you case. I am 32 and had FUE 6 months ago. I am hoping to more or less achieve what you have now from a NW 4.

Also, and this is just my personal opinion, perfectly symmetrical hair transplants always look a little unnatural to me. Nothing in nature is perfect and even the untrained eye will pick this up quickly.

I really think your hair looks great as it is. IMO FUE will be higher risk/lower reward in you case. I am 32 and had FUE 6 months ago. I am hoping to more or less achieve what you have now from a NW 4.

Also, and this is just my personal opinion, perfectly symmetrical hair transplants always look a little unnatural to me. Nothing in nature is perfect and even the untrained eye will pick this up quickly.

You make fair points and I am definitely considering them. But you know how it is when you get a thought stuck in your head. :)

This risk/reward thing is what's bugging me a little bit because I can still make my combover look decent some days if there is no wind out, etc. Losing that would suck, but at the same time I have seen no cases from Asmed where the patient ends up unpresentable afterwards.

I can see both points of view - on the one hand your hair looks great and not unlike an 'after' photo for someone who started at a higher NW stage and had conservative work done. On the other hand, that desire to improve oneself is hard to ignore. Most doctors would consider you to be a good candidate, considering your age and slow rate of loss. Your donor looks good too. It has to be said that there is a chance that your hairloss will advance in the future. It's impossible to put any kind of percentage figure on that, but you would need to be aware that a second procedure might be necessary one day.

I think your plan is sound. The line you drew isn't too low. When you say you want symmetry, I don't take that to mean exact symmetry. A transplanted hairline frames the face better but (if done right) there will be irregularities that stop it from looking man-made and unnatural.

Most hairline procedures involve planting hair within areas of existing hair. It's routine.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

If it were me I would get on Fin and do nothing. Your hair looks great to me and is very age appropriate.

Got a problem with the potential sides though. And that is not just the sides but also the mental aspect of constantly walking around looking for something that feels wrong in my body. That's just not something I can handle at this point. Maybe the thought will grow on me though in the future.

At 32 you're not getting any younger. If your hair bothers you fue is the way to go. Pick a great surgeon and get it done ad enjoy it before you're 42 lol

It does bother me day and night. Agreed, you're only young for so long.

I can see both points of view - on the one hand your hair looks great and not unlike an 'after' photo for someone who started at a higher NW stage and had conservative work done. On the other hand, that desire to improve oneself is hard to ignore. Most doctors would consider you to be a good candidate, considering your age and slow rate of loss. Your donor looks good too. It has to be said that there is a chance that your hairloss will advance in the future. It's impossible to put any kind of percentage figure on that, but you would need to be aware that a second procedure might be necessary one day.

First off thanks for an honest and detailed reply. A second procedure is definitely something I'm mentally prepared for. Maybe even a third if we're talking ten-fifteen years down the line.

I think your plan is sound. The line you drew isn't too low. When you say you want symmetry, I don't take that to mean exact symmetry. A transplanted hairline frames the face better but (if done right) there will be irregularities that stop it from looking man-made and unnatural.

The bolded is correct. Been hanging around these boards long enough to know total symmetry in the hairline isn't ideal. When it comes to the temples/temple points I am actually talking somewhat exact symmetry though. It might not be apparent in the pics but my right one is far worse off than the left one and it's been that way since long before I started thinning. So correcting the right one is something that I feel will boost my overall appearance.

Most hairline procedures involve planting hair within areas of existing hair. It's routine.

Sounds good. Again thanks!

• Administrators

IMHO you don’t need surgery, your hair looks great and what most aspire to achieve with surgery. Now you have to ask yourself are you willing to embark on a life long journey, are you willing to have multiple surgeries to keep up with your hair loss, nothing is set in stone but it is likely you will recede further. Will you be in a position financially and will you have the time allotted for more surgeries down the line?

You’re definitely a candidate 32, minor hair loss, you’ve been receding slowly, you’re considered a perfect candidate for most Surgeons. I never aim to discourage only educate, surgery is not a quick fix, remember it’s permanent with scarring, once you start there’s no going back, but if it really bothers you then research, meet with doctors and don’t rush in to anything.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

If it's really bugging you, and has for a while, I say go for it. I did mine aat 33 and had a lower natural hairline and still went for it after a few years of research. I did start meds at 30 tho. But I think your hairline is conservative enough that even without meds it would work, you just may need a touch up sooner.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

IMHO you don’t need surgery, your hair looks great and what most aspire to achieve with surgery. Now you have to ask yourself are you willing to embark on a life long journey, are you willing to have multiple surgeries to keep up with your hair loss, nothing is set in stone but it is likely you will recede further. Will you be in a position financially and will you have the time allotted for more surgeries down the line?

You’re definitely a candidate 32, minor hair loss, you’ve been receding slowly, you’re considered a perfect candidate for most Surgeons. I never aim to discourage only educate, surgery is not a quick fix, remember it’s permanent with scarring, once you start there’s no going back, but if it really bothers you then research, meet with doctors and don’t rush in to anything.

Some important questions there. I contemplate all of them but what my mind always comes back to is that dream of once again having a hairline that doesn't need "reinforcement" from his friends on the sides.

If it's really bugging you, and has for a while, I say go for it. I did mine aat 33 and had a lower natural hairline and still went for it after a few years of research. I did start meds at 30 tho. But I think your hairline is conservative enough that even without meds it would work, you just may need a touch up sooner.

I have read your posts for years and I know you are a big advocate for finasteride. Therefore this post makes me feel encouraged. I trust you if anyone would tell me if my plan was horrible. :)

I’m in the same situation as u .. hair loss isn’t too bad .. but bad enough to not feel good looking anymore.. what I’m feeling myself , is to get something done, why keep feeling insecure about urself for the next few years until u look too ugly n insecure to have to do something about it , .. when u can do something about it now n feel confident in urself again .. then as ur hair gets worse go for a second procedure .. yes the risks are there with any surgery ,,, u could look worse than before, n spending thousands ..

But the rewards are there ,, ur confidence for the next few years , instead of feeling depressed n waiting..

• 11 months later...

Almost a year since I started this thread. I am booked for consultation at De Freitas clinic in Valencia in March. Not with Dr Rafael De Freitas because the waiting time for a consultation with him is about a year. Instead I chose consultation with his colleague Dr Cotellesa who is also present at surgery.

Pictures from today below. My feeling is that nothing has changed since a year back. Maybe one or two hairs lost in the immediate front.

Donor.jpg

Left.jpg

Right.jpg

Top.jpg

My intention is, if everything feels right when visiting the clinic, to go through with a transplant in late 2020.

Additional pictures of the combover I'm wearing daily. Which is something that I dream about not having to spend time on. To have good hair just once more. Just a few good years.

Combover.jpg

Left combover.jpg

Right combover.jpg

BjornBorg,

I can offer my opinion, which is that you have pretty solid hair at current. And I would echo the sentiments of some of the other guys, which is that when you start down this path, your scrutiny may lead to more insecurities and with no 100% guarantee of the results you desire. Having said that, my opinion may be of no value whatsoever to you. You don't know me.

You have to therefore, do what is right for you. It appears as though you are doing your due diligence, and are certainly not rushing into anything. Many posters here, myself included are coming from a far more advanced level of hairloss and would love to have hair as you have currently, again, myself included. So it may be a little difficult for some members to relate to your specific situation.

With the correct choice of Dr and continued research and diligence, I feel confident that if you decide to pursue a transplant, your results would be very positive and you would feel much more secure. But remember, it gets worse before it gets better.

As an intelligent guy, Im sure you that when you compare your hairloss to other guys on this forum, you can see that your hairloss isn't anyway near as advanced as many. The reason I say this, is that it is important to be realistic on both your current situation and results. Have your consultation and see how you feel. Interact more with this community and take note of others who have trodden a similar path. 

But ultimately, the decision is yours.

You are in no rush to make a decision. Your hair looks great in my opinion. If you experience further hairloss in the future, it can be addressed in the future. Just for the record, in my book, that is not a combover.

Good luck!

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

2 hours ago, Raphael84 said:

Many posters here, myself included are coming from a far more advanced level of hairloss and would love to have hair as you have currently, again, myself included. So it may be a little difficult for some members to relate to your specific situation.

this right here. consult with as many doctors as you can as well. and i don't believe that you're married to getting multiple surgeries down the road, unless you choose to do it. obviously it could get to a point where losing hair just isn't a big deal to you anymore, so don't go into it thinking that it's a requirement to get more surgeries unless it's of your own accord.

i'm in a similar situation you are, although yours is a little better. i have intermediate miniaturization in the hairline, but also the crown. i'm aiming to do surgery this fall if possible, just trying to work out logistics and finances. here's my thread if you want to take a look

@Raphael84 and @brickellmoto

Thank you both for your inputs. I'm humble to the fact that there are guys that are worse off than I currently am.

To me though it's all about what the hairloss does to you mentally. I know guys that were slick bald at 25 that are 100% at ease and living their lives to the fullest. Big families, social circles, successful careers. The thing with those people is I never once think about their hair. NEVER. Hair is all in the head of the person wearing it. Unfortunately for me, my hair is always on my mind. As is the case with most people on this forum, probably.

Anyway, I've done the online consultation at Koray, Keser, Bisanga, Feriduni and De Freitas. They've all been very consistent quoting me around 2000 grafts. It will be interesting to see if that is the amount quoted at the live consultation aswell.

• 1 month later...

I am booked for 2300 grafts with Dr Rafael de Freitas in September 2020. Also on the waiting list in case there are cancelations.

I will create a thread (the first de Freitas one on this forum?) before the procedure and document it as well as I can.

Any questions feel free to ask them here or in PM.

• Administrators

Damn 2020 😳

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, BjornBorg said:

Yeah they have a long waiting list. From what I have gathered it is for a good reason. :)

Definitely, it’s funny cause I did a meme about this the other day for our Instagram lol

17CE8256-3BC9-4A5D-BEC1-A1A080957187.jpeg

• Haha 2

View my thread