My Feb. 12 FUT with Dr. Diep

SWdan

Hi SWdan. You're progressing well. How's the donor/back of your head?

Am also taking Fin but cut them in half - 0.5mg/day.

Thanks. Just in the last week or so, it seems the donor area has filled in more where there's some shock loss.. Some numbness above the incision remains.

When I pull my hair back, I can barely see the incision. In fact, I have to hunt for it.

Still a long ways to go, but my appearance is starting to change.

Some pictures with different light angles.

3 mo 13 days post op.

5b32fc0d235b9_20180525_132258_resized(1).jpg.0729d787e44216db214005917d835a5a.jpg

20180525_132410_resized.jpg.b27a9d166a4a02848bed6aa93e142c19.jpg

20180525_132446_resized.jpg.4c2720e3083346c727d3f2b30847c49f.jpg

Edited by SWdan

• 1 month later...

What’s ur update dan .. how’s things looking ?

did u experience Any shockloss into ur native hair I’m the recipient area? Since u still had a lot of hair of hair there .. diep was able to transplant into it ?

I still have a lot of vellus thin hair in my hairline .. I’m worried they won’t survive the trauma..

12 hours ago, Legend007 said:

What’s ur update dan .. how’s things looking ?

did u experience Any shockloss into ur native hair I’m the recipient area? Since u still had a lot of hair of hair there .. diep was able to transplant into it ?

I still have a lot of vellus thin hair in my hairline .. I’m worried they won’t survive the trauma..

Everything is continuing to progress. There could have been shockloss in the recipient area, but I didn't notice it.  There was shockloss in the donor area, but that's all grown back.  I think 95 % of the numbness is gone. When I look for the scar, I have a hard time finding it. It's very thin. 

One thing though. Dr Diep wanted me on Propecia, so April 12, I started taking it. For six weeks no sides, and I thought I was going to get lucky. I woke up with abdominal pain, and testicle pain, ( which I've never had before). The day produced the most painful cramps and later that evening I had fever and chills.  I thought I was coming down with something, and continued to take the Propecia, although I was investigating users various sides. Seems a lot of people with the sides also got testicle pain and some had fever and chills along with the sexual sides. I had all the above, and after one more week, quit taking it.  After a couple days the testicle pain disappeared. Still had some cramps, the sexual sides, felt achy, and night sweats continued.  A month off it, still some night sweats, the sexual sides have finally diminished. 
I'm glad Propecia has worked out for most of you. For me it was a nightmare.

I'll post some updated pictures soon. 

• Administrators

It’s unfortunate about the propecia, I too cannot take it due to the sides, but we’re a minority. Fortunately,  most guys can take it with no sides at all. Guess we were just unlucky, hope to see your progress soon. 

Warmes regards 

Melvin 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Swdan,

I was a little concerned about what appears to be the left side of your donor area… I don’t know if that was dried blood or raider wound but it seems to have healed nicely so I’m guessing it was just dried blood. I appreciate you sharing all of these photos so that we can really see what you’ve got going on. Looks like Dr. Diep has done great work again. 

Best wishes,

Bill

1 minute ago, Bill - Managing Publisher said:

Swdan,

I was a little concerned about what appears to be the left side of your donor area… I don’t know if that was dried blood or raider wound but it seems to have healed nicely so I’m guessing it was just dried blood. I appreciate you sharing all of these photos so that we can really see what you’ve got going on. Looks like Dr. Diep has done great work again. 

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks Bill. Yes it was fortunately just dried blood. The entire wound has healed nicely. I'll try to take some pictures of the FUT soon.

4 months 3 weeks. Still thin, but it's getting there. It isn't too easy for me take a picture of the FUT scar. This is the best I could do. The entire scar looks like that.

I've decided I probably do have some shock loss in the front that's trying to sort itself out.  I just looked at a before picture, and it seemed thicker, though the hair was much longer.  I'm optimistic it'll grow back in.  I'm more than happy with the hairline Dr. Diep put in. It looks very natural.

I'll be 65 in December, and perhaps a slow grower. I see some of your pictures, and am amazed at the growth rates.

20180708_154537_resized.jpg

20180708_152636_resized.jpg

20180708_152334_resized.jpg

20180708_150603_resized.jpg

20180708_150524_resized.jpg

Edited by SWdan

I just read the thread of the guy who is very unhappy with his FUT. The indentation is very pronounced.

Mine was like that too, but over the last couple months it's leveled out. I can still feel a slight indentation, but just barely. I think with most FUT patients, over time it will level out somewhat. Mine did. My hair isn't too long and the indentation is no longer visible. 
As mentioned, everyone is different. 

• Administrators

Your scar is very thin, it helps that you have pale skin as well, because it’s very hard to see. All of these things matter when it comes to scarring, you have light skin and light hair so things are definitely in your favor. Things are progressing nicely. This is going to be a great result, please keep us updated.

warmest regards- Melvin 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

2 hours ago, Melvin-HTsoon said:

Your scar is very thin, it helps that you have pale skin as well, because it’s very hard to see. All of these things matter when it comes to scarring, you have light skin and light hair so things are definitely in your favor. Things are progressing nicely. This is going to be a great result, please keep us updated.

warmest regards- Melvin 

Thanks Melvin. I will.

• 2 weeks later...

5 months 5 days post op.

Still continuing to see improvement.  When (if) it all fills in, I'll be very happy, although I'm pleased with the results so far. I know it's still early yet..  Since I had to quit taking Propecia, I started using a DHT blocking shampoo.  At least three months to start seeing results, pretty much what I was told with Propecia.  

I had shaved my hair all off the day after I got home from surgery. When it started growing back, it was much thinner on top than before. ??? WTH.  I'm taking two medications.  (Armour thyroid) for hypothyroidism, and low dosage blood pressure hydrochlorothiazide. 

Hypothyroidism can cause hair loss, and as I recently found out, so can blood pressure medications. It looks like all of them can. Seems the blood pressure meds can put your hair immediately into resting phase, (that could explain mine). Thyroid med dosage needs to be very precise...under medicated, or over medicated can cause problems.  My blood pressure was borderline, and I've went from 25mg pill once a day, to twice a week. It has a half life of 7 to 15 hours, or about 30 hours to leave your body, but remains in your hair for around 90 days. (if you quit taking it)

Here is a before and after.

20171122_161729.jpg

20180718_161724_resized.jpg

20180718_161850_resized.jpg

Edited by SWdan

• Administrators

Wow you’re not even halfway through, so many things can affect hair, things we normally wouldn’t even know would cause hair loss. Thanks for sharing some other guys may benefit from what you’ve shared.  Thanks for updating us, I hope you’ll continue until 12 months. Trust me the best months are ahead.

Warmest regards- Melvin

View my thread

Looks great dan , I notice most of dieps patients have early growth n good density by the 5- 6th month mark.  

Ur hairline has looks a lot better , should of done it years ago :P

but yeah most medications that thins ur blood will cause some hairloss , since u have less blood flowing to ur scalp . .. I noticed that too back when i had to take medications , it triggered my MPB.. makes me kinda sad when I look at my brothers n my dads hair .. all Norwood’ 1 with thick hair in their 30’s n forties .. n still growing strong .. unlike me .. I let my hair caliber shrink too much , n didn’t get onto finasteride soon enough . Oh well .. just got to deal with the situation. Now .. 

happy growing dan .. 

30 minutes ago, Legend007 said:

Looks great dan , I notice most of dieps patients have early growth n good density by the 5- 6th month mark.  

Ur hairline has looks a lot better , should of done it years ago :P

but yeah most medications that thins ur blood will cause some hairloss , since u have less blood flowing to ur scalp . .. I noticed that too back when i had to take medications , it triggered my MPB.. makes me kinda sad when I look at my brothers n my dads hair .. all Norwood’ 1 with thick hair in their 30’s n forties .. n still growing strong .. unlike me .. I let my hair caliber shrink too much , n didn’t get onto finasteride soon enough . Oh well .. just got to deal with the situation. Now .. 

happy growing dan .. 

Thanks Legend,  

Thinners also can damage the follicle itself, causing loss. The blood pressure meds, apparently cause the hair to go into resting, then fall out prematurely during the resting phase.  The losses are reversible by quitting the drug.

Are you still on the waiting list for Dr. Diep..? There are many fine HT doctors out there, but I feel blessed, and lucky I chose Dr. Diep. 

Yea dan .. a lot of meds that people have to take for their health , can n will affect or accelerate their hairloss .. n eventually everyone will have to take some sort of meds for their health .. if not now u will when U get older .. and every meds will have a side effect . 

Yes I have an upcoming surgery date with doctor diep at the end of this year .. I’m in no rush .. I booked it in March .. so was on a 8 month waiting list.. I don’t really mind however .: it fits my work schedule , n I already accepted that I have mpb n my hairloss is progressive .. so the longer I wait the more my hair will thin n recede, that way I can get as much grafts as I can into my hairline , 2000 grafts.. zone 1 n 2 . About 2 inches deep .: but densed pack .,  that should build a good foundation to mask further hairloss as I thin more on top .  Currently I’m not panicking into getting surgery because I’m older now ,. N I still have full coverage .. hairs not great but it’s not bad ..  but yeah I’m looking forward to getting my first transplant ,, imma have great hair again.. hopefully it will last me a few years .. before I have to get another .. I already accepted that imma have to spend $16,000 for that 2000 grafts .. I’m frugal on myself .. n don’t like spending money .. but I might as well... i already have a nice enough car ,, it don’t make me happy .. but getting back 5 years of my youth will . 

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Legend007 said:

Yes I have an upcoming surgery date with doctor diep at the end of this year .. I’m in no rush .. I booked it in March .. so was on a 8 month waiting list.. I don’t really mind however .: it fits my work schedule , n I already accepted that I have mpb n my hairloss is progressive .. so the longer I wait the more my hair will thin n recede, that way I can get as much grafts as I can into my hairline , 2000 grafts.. zone 1 n 2 . About 2 inches deep .: but densed pack .,  that should build a good foundation to mask further hairloss as I thin more on top .  Currently I’m not panicking into getting surgery because I’m older now ,. N I still have full coverage .. hairs not great but it’s not bad ..  but yeah I’m looking forward to getting my first transplant ,, imma have great hair again.. hopefully it will last me a few years .. before I have to get another .. I already accepted that imma have to spend $16,000 for that 2000 grafts .. I’m frugal on myself .. n don’t like spending money .. but I might as well... i already have a nice enough car ,, it don’t make me happy .. but getting back 5 years of my youth will . 

Well said legend, people are shocked when they find out how much I’ve spent on hair transplants. I could have easily bought a brand new car,  but a car could never bring the happiness and confidence I get by looking in the mirror and not seeing a bald guy anymore. To me it’s worth every penny and more. I hope you create a thread and update us with your progress, oh and tell Dr. Diep, that I said Hi ; ) 

• Like 2

View my thread

17 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Wow you’re not even halfway through, so many things can affect hair, things we normally wouldn’t even know would cause hair loss. Thanks for sharing some other guys may benefit from what you’ve shared.  Thanks for updating us, I hope you’ll continue until 12 months. Trust me the best months are ahead.

Warmest regards- Melvin

Thanks again Melvin. I just read through your journey, and wow. Your results are beyond amazing. 

Hey Melvin , when I go see his diep later this year . I definitely tell him u said hello .. u probably one of his favorite patients :) I’m still debating whether I want to document my surgery however .. but we shall see .. 

Hey dan , what symptoms are did u have before u got diagnosed with hyperthyroidism? And what tests did the doctor take to diagnose u n at what age ? 

i have a feeling I might have  that too ..

fatigue , brittle fine hair , n sensitivy to heat , it’s like my body can’t regulate my hormones n temperature .. I will sweat profusely n easily on my scalp whenever I Its kinda hot .. like dripping wet .. 

I want to go get that check up , n get on the appropriate meds so my hair don’t thin out .. 

Edited by Legend007

31 minutes ago, Legend007 said:

Hey dan , what symptoms are did u have before u got diagnosed with hyperthyroidism? And what tests did the doctor take to diagnose u n at what age ? 

i have a feeling I might have  that too ..

fatigue , brittle fine hair , n sensitivy to heat , it’s like my body can’t regulate my hormones n temperature .. I will sweat profusely n easily on my scalp whenever I Its kinda hot .. like dripping wet .. 

I want to go get that check up , n get on the appropriate meds so my hair don’t thin out .. 

Legend, I had some of those symptoms, but for so long it just seemed natural. I'd just be sitting watching TV, and all of a sudden it would feel like I had a sunburn.  Sometimes, for no reason at all, the palms and feet would start sweating profusely.
I think I was about 60 when the annual blood test showed an under performing thyroid, (hypothyroidism).  He put me on Synthyroid which I took for a year or so. I prefer to take something natural if possible, and my research found Armour Thyroid. I asked the Dr., and he agreed to prescribe it for me. The last blood test showed levels off again, so next week I go for another test, this time specifically for the thyroid.. It can be difficult to get the dosage right, according to the doc.  This last blood test that showed the THL off, coincided with me taking Propecia. Did that react with my thyroid med,  who knows.? That's why I'm getting another test next week, now that I've been off the Propecia. 
Both hypothyroidism, and hyperthyroidism can cause hair loss.  
If you suspect it, I agree, you should go in and get blood work done. 

Edited by SWdan