My Feb. 12 FUT with Dr. Diep

SWdan

I'm 64 and started losing some hair in my 30's. In 1992 I decided to fly from Michigan to Chicago for a Bosley procedure. I guess back then the doll hair plugs were about all anyone did, and that's exactly what they gave me. In the front, and some in the crown. I was supposed to go back for them to put in a hairline, but I wasn't confident they could give me a natural hairline so I never went. I didn't have internet access until 1995 so that limited my ability to research anyone else.

In January 2018 I decided I wanted to do something about these plugs. My hair had thinned a little on top and I had lost some coverage. I was wearing a hat more and more, and was always conscious if the wind blew, these things would stand out like a sore thumb. I spent many hours on YT watching hundreds of videos, and decided on Dr. Diep.

I contacted the office and sent them the requested pictures. They gave me an appointment for a Skype consultation with Dr. Diep. He gave me an estimate, answered my questions, and gave me additional information. He said for FUE he's backed up about 7 months. Because I had a previous FUT with Bosley I chose to go that route. Already had a scar, maybe 6 inches. The FUT appointment was made for Feb 12, 2018, so I only had to wait about 5 weeks.

I flew from New Mexico to San Jose on Sat Feb 10. I had to be at the office in Los Gatos Monday at 5:30 am and I arrived as requested.

I brought the forms with me they had mailed, and they were pretty much filled out. I only had to sign a few things. Jennie gave me a menu to choose what I wanted for lunch, then she took me in the operating room. I put on the booties, and the two gowns. About 6am the Dr came in. Jennie led me to his office where I met the Dr. Dr. Diep is a very friendly, nice man. Very intelligent, and I was always at ease with him. Jennie brought me in a little cup with about 7 pills in it, and Dr. explained what each one was. (I only remember the 3 valiums). He drew the proposed hairline, with a couple minor adjustments I agreed.

Back into the operating room and the reclining chair in front of a big flat screen. She took my blood pressure a couple times. I was watching the news, and the next thing I remember there were two girls, one on each side planting the grafts. No memory of the FUT or making the places for the grafts. Also no pain whatsoever. I was awake for most of the placements and it was difficult for me to remain still for a couple hours.

I was supposed to go back the next day at 9 am for a wash, but overslept, and had to get to the airport.

They had shaved just the front of my head. When I got home I decided to shave the rest of my head. It took me awhile, I had to be careful not to cut any of the sutures, so I didn't do a real clean job of it. Oh well, it'll grow out. The wound looks pretty ghastly. I have had zero pain in the recipient area. Nothing but a little itching, but no touching. In the donor area I can't call it pain. It's more like a dull ache, maybe a 2 on a scale to 10.

It's day five post op as I'm writing this, and I barely feel it. I'm still sleeping sitting up with a towel around my neck, and I'll probably be doing that for another week or so. I've read others saying they had a lot of pain and discomfort, but I truly have not. I was quite anxious about this, but it's turned out pretty well. I took tylenol the first couple nights to help me sleep, and that's it. He gave me a prescription for pain meds but I didn't need them. They gave me a package of anti-biotics, and anti-swelling, which I'm taking. I had swelling roll down my temples to my cheekbones, but it's about all gone now. Dr. Diep had also given me two injections of steroids for swelling.

Now the healing process, shedding, and regrowing. Lol, the last time my hair was this short was when I was 13 in 1966.

20171122_181712.jpg.9a810ddb738fdac6a1087ccd85aae7f9.jpg

20171122_161729.jpg.470d66ca5af9f28069d1c43f54d56937.jpg

20180214_133807_resized.jpg.6108d3b646c6009578ea5e02100ad27d.jpg

20180217_091256_resized.jpg.02d98cbe7ed0e77fd9d13057dc17dc2c.jpg

Edited by SWdan

Work looks good SWDan! I am surprised however you took a chance and shaved your head on your own the next day post OP. Should of stayed a day or two post OP for cleaning and evaluation but it seems like everything is fine. Hope you grow well!

HT#1 - Dr. Rahal (Jan 2012) - 4700 grafts

HT#2 - Dr. Rahal (Jan 2014) - 1800 grafts

HT#3 - Dr. Konior (Jan 2018) - 1200 grafts

Work looks good SWDan! I am surprised however you took a chance and shaved your head on your own the next day post OP. Should of stayed a day or two post OP for cleaning and evaluation but it seems like everything is fine. Hope you grow well!

Thanks. So do I.

• 2 weeks later...

On Monday, day 14 post op I had my Dr. remove the sutures. It wasn't easy, as he had to pull pretty hard on some of them. Which means it wasn't too much fun for me. It took him an hour, but he got them all out. He said it's possible the scar tissue had built up around them.

I wanted to go in a few days earlier, but had some trouble getting all the blood clots off.

Pictures taken on day 16.

20180228_114948_resized_1.jpg.8c1f268dca8554d4681b8139942c9208.jpg

20180228_114452_resized.jpg.4a6b8780342e839cb6f8ac6acd16d608.jpg

Edited by SWdan

Something I forgot to mention.

Since I'm 64, I asked Dr. Diep if I was the oldest patient he's had. He has a "before and after" YT of a 72 old patient. I've since seen it, and he had great results. But his oldest was 80.

Edited by SWdan

When ur hair grows back will u still be able to cover the scar ? Right now it’s thin , not wide n not bad but it does look like a scar.. Keep us updated k

I think it look's more like a scar now because of the shock loss. Once that grows back in, and my hair grows out, nobody'll see it.

The line is thin , it’s the indentation of the scar n ur shaved head makes it look worse than it is .. it probably will get better in time .. I can’t even see ur previous fut scar .. so that’s good news ..

The line is thin , it’s the indentation of the scar n ur shaved head makes it look worse than it is .. it probably will get better in time .. I can’t even see ur previous fut scar .. so that’s good news ..

I think you can't see the previous scar because he cut right over it.

• 1 month later...

Two months post op.

Looks like a couple more months before the shock loss disappears. I can feel stubble when I run my fingertips over it, but it doesn't seem to be growing much, if at all.

I can't see them, but I also feel stubble in the recipient area. A few dozen transplanted hairs have grown out, but they're hard to see.

Dr. Diep told me when my hair grows out, I would no longer see the plugs. Looking forward to that..!

20180411_130220_resized.jpg.46b31238e934004a489c04f6c28f05aa.jpg

20180411_130521_resized.jpg.a297f5417d6bc238d693156298816240.jpg

20180411_131318_resized.jpg.ed0d393cb4dc21dfebce8412832a7607.jpg

20180411_132222_resized.jpg.1c4a16d8f873b0ef7bcdfa8b7060218b.jpg

It is going to be fine - take it from me - I was 64 when I had my first HT. That scar will never be a problem for you.

What's with the MADs in the 1st post photo?

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Your 1st post - the pic on the far right - on top of the cabinet....MADS.

lol...ok. I had to take a look. It's the complete MAD magazines on 7 CD's, from #1 through about 2010.

Nice.

We have something in common...here's my 1-10. Most comic size are graded now but I have 1-300 complete.

1_10mad.jpg.a1ea3c366439752288fd1424748ff12f.jpg

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Nice.

We have something in common...here's my 1-10. Most comic size are graded now but I have 1-300 complete.

Wow that's pretty cool. I almost bought the 1st one on Ebay years ago, but got out bid.

• 4 weeks later...

3 months post op.

Over the last couple weeks I've been seeing a lot of action. Although the hairs are hard to see, it's nice to see some growth happening. I'm looking forward to the next several months, hopefully things thicken up.

About half the numbness on the back of my head is gone. For a couple months it felt like a block of wood back there, so it's nice to have some feeling. If I push on the incision, I feel some tenderness in spots.

No numbness in the recipient area any more, although some redness is still there.

Still some shock loss on the sides. I can feel stubble.

I initially sent Dr. Diep's prescription for Propecia into my insurance, but they rejected it. When I had my two month check up over the phone with Dr. Diep, he wanted me on it. So they called in a prescription to Walmart for the 1mg, which I've been taking for about a month now. No noticeable sides. It was a little pricey at $128 for a 90 days supply. I'm going to call the Dr. at the end of 90 days and ask them to call in a script for the 5mg Proscar.

Other than that, I'd like to think things are right on schedule. I see pictures of some guys at three months, and they're light years ahead of me, and others about the same.

It's nice to see the positive change, even if you wish it was more.

20180511_094557_resized.jpg.5a64515576029b7f615bd115177f8aa5.jpg

20180510_140405_resized.jpg.9ebbdbedbe59e91160f0a94db092156e.jpg

20180510_140437_resized.jpg.45d8b4637211a28d4eb249ac3d489b24.jpg

20180510_140952_resized.jpg.139c244668a5579444e40361032407a1.jpg

Edited by SWdan

• Administrators

Everything looks right on track, the fun starts now, keep us updated with your progress congrats.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.