Diffuse Thinning... Would this suit me?

I am 21 years old and have diffuse thinning, so... as I am too young for a HT this summer I am going to trim my hair down to 0.5 guard and have temporary SMP done as well. I am in good shape as I workout and feel I could pull off a shaved look with a nice thick beard and a ripped body. I've been told I have a good head shape for the look (LOL) and as I have a bit of hair left trimming it down and adding SMP would make it look quite natural. I will leave pics of my hair and welcome any suggestions.

Also I have uploaded a picture of my donor area, can someone advise on whether it looks healthy and will be able to support a HT in a couple years?

IMG_2910-2.thumb.jpg.a1f7d996473d89c2dffd6751932561aa.jpg

IMG_0585.thumb.jpg.d57761578560e85d62b64b8eac7d0056.jpg

IMG_9616.thumb.jpg.67e669b365b60a878126949103aac783.jpg

IMG_4694.thumb.JPG.ab8fe1f1c1c9d6f7280a9cde2b999163.JPG

This plan should work well, but definitely get on finasteride to preserve what hair you have left and keep it looking natural as possible, which is hard if you've lost everything on top. Finasteride is going to do much more for you than a transplant, and potentially may mean that you'd get acceptable results without even needing SMP.

I second what JLDD said, if you want to be a candidate for a transplant down the road then meds now to strengthen your hair and slow your hair loss would be a needed first step, so get on fin. The smp plan is a good one and if you can pull it off it's a no brainer.

Low dose finasteride can potentially stabilize the diffused loss in your crown and finasteride works especially well in that area of the scalp.

I opened your donor pic into a larger frame and it appears that your diffused loss has impacted your donor area as well....I hope I am wrong and it's just a matter of density and not diffusion.

So my recommendation would be to get a microscopic exam of your donor area "before" you make any decisions on having a HT procedure.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Bej520,

You still have a lot of hair. In my opinion, consider finasteride and Rogaine foam to save the existing hair you have. Then you won't need SMP or a hair transplant. At 21, why start considering SMP when you will have to go back every couple years and keep getting more and more work done just to keep a shaved head appearance. If you can save your hair, it will be much easier (and cheaper) to maintain. And it will be actual hair.

That's what I would do if I were you.

Best wishes,

Bill

Bej520,

You still have a lot of hair. In my opinion, consider finasteride and Rogaine foam to save the existing hair you have. Then you won't need SMP or a hair transplant. At 21, why start considering SMP when you will have to go back every couple years and keep getting more and more work done just to keep a shaved head appearance. If you can save your hair, it will be much easier (and cheaper) to maintain. And it will be actual hair.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks for the reply, one reason for not taking finasteride is that i don't want to be doing this for the rest of my life. I know that is difficult to understand for a lot of the people here, but I don't want to wake up every morning to take a pill which could potentially have side effects which no man deserves. I will wait for my hair loss to stabilise whilst maintaining minoxidil and then consider a HT a few years on.

I understand exactly what U saying , not wanting to be dependent on medicine to keep ur hair .. I’m a Norwood 2 , with a full head of hair , n I hate taking meds for anything .. but I look forward to taking my propecia every morning for the last 5 months now ..’it’s the only thing I know scientifically proven to help my hair from thinning out .. cuz it’s getting thinner easier to fall off , I’m like u with diffused thinning all over the top scalp .. but I’m 38 with a full head of hair. N stressed out just like u with the inevitable hair loss .. hop on the medicine to retain what u have before it’s too late, before ur hair miniaturize even more n eventually u get bald areas. ur aggressive hair loss at a young age is an indication u will be a high norwood. Whether u accept it or not u going to need medicine to slow it down .. once ur hair gets too miniaturized it be too late for any medication to help u.. u be stuck with doing smp every two years or be on the hairtransplant train every few years to not look bald.. medicine won’t prevent that from happening , but it will help u not do it as often.

I regret not staying on propecia 3’years ago at age 35.. trying it for only 4 months .. when my hair was still thick .. my hair hates me for it, cuz they thinning out n dieing 3 years later.. so I’m back on it n planning To stay on propecia for the rest of my life until they make something better :) wish u the best man

Bej520,

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks man but I think I'll live easier and happier accepting the baldness, I think ill reach norwood 6 in a couple years and my hairless will stabilise after losing most the hair theres nothing else to lose, then ill do a HT with my donor area. My father still has his donor area and he's almost 60 so I'm pretty sure that ill have mine too. Anyway I plan to build around my look, I'm young so a good body and a good beard with the buzz cut will look good. Not everyone is meant to have luscious swaying hair LOL

Thanks for the reply, where can I get a microscopic examination?

You request this examination during the in person consultation appointment.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY