Opinions? FUT or wait?

Hello all,

Long time lurker first time poster. I am 29 years old and have been dealing with this whole male pattern baldness for about 5 or 6 years. I didn't really mind it until 2 years ago which at this point I don't have much to work with :P. I've only considered FUT since I usually wear my hair long; however, let me know what you think. Should I still wait? Also, lets start a top 5 HT doctors I should consider. The doctors I've considered are : Hasson and Wong , Alexander, Bhatti, and Cooley. By the way I live in the US on the west coast.

I've only done a sit down with Dr. Hasson and Wong's rep Mike ; he recommended 5,000 grafts. I was thinking that 5,000 might be too much at one time. Maybe take a slower approach such as 3,000 grafts for the front and middle and then 3,000 grafts again for the crown and what ever is left over that needs touch up.

Currently, I only use lipogaine instead of generic minoxidil since it's not as greasy. I only do it once a day because I'm too lazy to put it on at night. I've been back and fourth thinking about using fin/propecia but maybe it will help?:confused: (I'm kinda embarrassed to ask the doctor) Should I be taking fin/propecia before a HT doctors sees my situation? Also, I started taking a generic biotin 1000mg. I'm going to attach pictures so you guys can see what I'm dealing with. Thanks for your help and reading my first thread.

Recap:

1. FUT? Should I wait

2. Top 5 doctors I should choose

3. Slow approach or mass with FUT

3. Should I start fin/propecia

Crown.thumb.jpg.d1f056875d25a447371687d63d72444d.jpg

5b32f94783424_donorarea.thumb.jpg.a56fb95d52137c9ec5b965da2e9df53f.jpg

5b32f947a5b87_TopofHead.thumb.jpg.8963bbe5e2e5d9ffd7c73ce9bfeb9f85.jpg

5b32f94869277_Topofhead2.thumb.jpg.798334fa7a56399c922685a7e5a03dd9.jpg

Hello all,

Long time lurker first time poster. I am 29 years old and have been dealing with this whole male pattern baldness for about 5 or 6 years. I didn't really mind it until 2 years ago which at this point I don't have much to work with :P. I've only considered FUT since I usually wear my hair long; however, let me know what you think. Should I still wait? Also, lets start a top 5 HT doctors I should consider. The doctors I've considered are : Hasson and Wong , Alexander, Bhatti, and Cooley. By the way I live in the US on the west coast.

I've only done a sit down with Dr. Hasson and Wong's rep Mike ; he recommended 5,000 grafts. I was thinking that 5,000 might be too much at one time. Maybe take a slower approach such as 3,000 grafts for the front and middle and then 3,000 grafts again for the crown and what ever is left over that needs touch up.

Currently, I only use lipogaine instead of generic minoxidil since it's not as greasy. I only do it once a day because I'm too lazy to put it on at night. I've been back and fourth thinking about using fin/propecia but maybe it will help?:confused: (I'm kinda embarrassed to ask the doctor) Should I be taking fin/propecia before a HT doctors sees my situation? Also, I started taking a generic biotin 1000mg. I'm going to attach pictures so you guys can see what I'm dealing with. Thanks for your help and reading my first thread.

Recap:

1. FUT? Should I wait

2. Top 5 doctors I should choose

3. Slow approach or mass with FUT

3. Should I start fin/propecia

Like the gentleman above me said, you're a great candidate. Go to a good doc (any one of the one's you listed) sooner than later to make the most of your looks while you're young.

Your donor hair appears to be good. There is nothing to be embarrassed about taking propecia. Go see a different doctor or a hair transplant surgeon and they can write you a prescription if you are embarrassed to talk about it with your regular doctor. The doctors you listed all have good reputations. Since you are on the west coast, I would also definitely add Dr Gabel to your short list. I haven’t seen anything short of excellent from him on here.

I have seen some impressive mega session results from Hasson and Wong that were in the ball park of 5000 grafts. Get some more opinions from a couple other top doctors (Gabel, Konior, Cooley) and go from there. Personally, if they all feel you are a good candidate for a mega session of 5000 grafts, why not get it done once instead of two separate surgeries. You would not go wrong with any of these doctors.

I have similar problem with the difference, my occipital donor area is little bit higher. I would definitely recommend you to have two sessions FUE, rather than FUT.

It looks like you have good potential donor area, but not wide. At 29 it is high probability that your alopecia is not stabilised yet. Maybe you will change hairstyle later, you don't need a scar. Consult your doctor anyway.

With the first intervention you will probably give the advantage to your hairline area. In that session you will also use the most quality donor grafts you have. You can follow the result much better, the healing process will be quicker and you will preserve enough donor area follicles in case you need correction from any reason (partiality unsuccess or personal non satisfaction with the result).

After a year, if everything is ok, you can plan the second intervention. You always have the possibility to eventually combine beard/body hair with the head hairs for crown/vertex.

I personally don't recommend you to start with the finasteride in any case, inform yourself good about long term negative effects of that therapy, especially considering that you have 29 years and advanced alopecia (or regardless to alopecia, finasteride is not the solution at all).

If you have results with minoxidil, it would be right choice for you to preserve sensitive hairs.

Considering that you live in the US, I would recommend you ChicagoHairInstitute. If I live in the US, they would be my first choice without doubt.

• Moderators

If you have the money for it, I would definitely go with a Hasson and Wong 5000 FUT and get it taken care of in one shot. They have an excellent track record of doing large sessions.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

5000 grafts is a large session, but these days sessions of that size are routine and since you have enough ground to cover with those grafts then I see no reason not to do it in one.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com