Ahead Ink: Did We Invent a Time Machine?

Client of the Week #3

Before coming to Ahead Ink this client had 2 sessions with a permanent SMP clinic but the pigment did not hold well and was virtually gone after a few months (likely due to improper technique/application). The client requested we keep the same hairline design but go a bit more aggressive. The pictured result is immediately following 3 passes. This client remarked he felt he had stepped into a time machine and looked 10 years younger! Thanks for looking!

Carlos_B_AFront_FINAL.jpg

Carlos_B_Aright_FINAL.jpg

Carlos_B_Aleftr_FINAL.jpg

carloscrown.jpg

carlosclose.jpg

carlosclose2.jpg

DSC_0383.jpg

Edited by hairthere

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

HAIRTHERE: I would like to comment that the scalp micropigmentation providers that claim their "SMP" is permanent, really is not. What they are describing as "permanent," in fact only lasts 5-7 years and that is at the high end. As this man experienced, lasting only a few months. And yes, you are 100% correct about improper technique and/or application. Training is running rampant in the field and "professionals" are being turned out after a weekend training course. The "permanent SMP" is also temporary but providers claim lasting for a longer period of time. "Permanent" is defined as "lasting or intended to last or remain unchanged indefinitely." Thank you for being honest about your System and the time it is expected to last. We need more honest practitioners in this field. Nice job, by the way.

Edited by MarkWestonHair

I am the owner of the M. Weston Non-Surgical Hair Restoration Centers and developer of the world’s only patented scalp micropigmentation, The Weston System. My system is a one-session only lifetime application.

Thanks Mark! As a long-time hair transplant consumer and patient advocate, I learned that transparency is key to a long, successful career in this industry/field. This came from, among other things, watching how the top doctors conduct themselves.

So, the Beauty Medical product is designed to not just fade, but disappear 100% from your system. It usually takes about 3 years for it to be completely gone (not a trace left) unless it is injected deeper than the recommended .5mm (upper dermis). Therefore , touchups are replacing pigment that is gone, not faded. From your experience do you find that the 5-7 year products disappear completely or simply fade?

As far as training, I agree there are too many clinics offering this and not doing it properly. There are also clinics who have no business performing SMP and they are training others. And from what I hear we are about to be flooded with new technicians by a certain PMU company that is entering the SMP market. Sadly, I'm sure we will all see a lot of botch jobs.

Edited by hairthere

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

HAIRTHERE: Will be respondiing to your post when I can squeeze some time in. I have some photos that show the 5-7 year "permanent SMP" product does not completely disappear, but fades into a shadow. Some of these companies are claiming it lasts up to 10 years, but one who claims this hasn't even been in business more than 5 years. Lasering also does not completely remove the "permanent SMP" pigments. Again, I will post pics when I have time.

Edited by MarkWestonHair

I am the owner of the M. Weston Non-Surgical Hair Restoration Centers and developer of the world’s only patented scalp micropigmentation, The Weston System. My system is a one-session only lifetime application.

HAIRTHERE: Will be respondiing to your post when I can squeeze some time in. I have some photos that show the 5-7 year "permanent SMP" product does not completely disappear, but fades into a shadow. Some of these companies are claiming it lasts up to 10 years, but one who claims this hasn't even been in business more than 5 years. Lasering also does not completely remove the "permanent SMP" pigments. Again, I will post pics when I have time.

HAIRTHERE: I will be posting several photos. The first one is of a "permanent SMP" that was mostly removed by laser. The color was not even completely removed, but blue/green hues remained behind. The after photo is my correction immediately after.

multi-session-scalp-pigmentation-lasering-correction.thumb.jpg.8f7a0d0fc64a653074c734067a9065ac.jpg

Edited by MarkWestonHair

HAIRTHERE: I will be posting several photos. The first one is of a "permanent SMP" that was mostly removed by laser. The color was not even completely removed, but blue/green hues remained behind. The after photo is my correction immediately after.

HAIRTHERE: Second post shows a photo of a "permanent SMP" that faded within 10 months after the application of 4 sessions. The after photo is my one-session reapplication after 8 months.

scalp-aesthetics-faded-pigmentation.jpg.339df4e35d695bf3ba37499a17796741.jpg

Edited by MarkWestonHair

HAIRTHERE: Second post shows a photo of a "permanent SMP" that faded within 10 months after the application of 4 sessions. The after photo is my one-session reapplication after 8 months.

HAIRTHERE: This third post shows before, immediately after and post 3 months after my corrective application of another "permanent SMP." Once again faded prematurely among other problems. What we see here is redness to the scalp that the client complained of 2 months after the first four applications. There was no sign of infection, but it was perplexing why this man's scalp was still red/pink after 2 months. The man contacted this well-known company numerous times, but his phone calls were blocked.

I made the decision to go ahead and correct the previous procedure (inset, lower left of photo). As can be seen, this man's corrective application is stellar post three months with no sign of redness.

Again, experience and technique play a large part in a proper outcome. There are some excellent "permanent SMP" technicians out there, but the fact remains that these "permanent SMP" multi-session applications do in fact fade. Some within a few months, others within a few years. And an off-color shadow is routinely left.

As for your mention of a PMU company flooding this field, I really wouldn't be concerned. I have been in this business since 2009 and have seen many start-up companies fail after only a few years. If one is not a well-established provider at this time, it is pointless for any new and recently trained individual to even attempt to enter the market. The worst of this is that these novice trainees will be ruining more mens' scalps.

scalp-aesthetics-weston-repair.thumb.jpg.d048eeaa074654ea54f371a28e508347.jpg

Edited by MarkWestonHair