Does hair grow back after FUE?

I'm aware that the back and sides of the head are considered the "donor" area and that getting an FUE means they take individual follicles instead of removing a strip.

If I get 4000-5000 taken from my donor area, I assume the spread out the area. When the hair grows back, will the donor areas always be gone?

Does a follicle eventually regrow?

Does 5000 grafts make your donor area seem too thin and obvious after it grows back?

Does this amount of grafts usually mean you can't get another transplant in the future because all of the donor area would be used up?

I managed to get my work holidays off at the end of the month and looking to book an operation now. So far looking at Dr. Cinik in Istanbul, but just getting my facts straight before it happens.

Thanks in advanced!

Average hair density is around 80-100 hairs / cm2. Best cases have 130-160 hairs/cm2. You need to achieve at least 35-50 hairs in the receiving area for good cosmetic result. Check this in the medical literature, you will see it's correct. Than assess the situation and do the mathematics. Don't listen unreal promises from the clinics. Extracted follicles do not grow anymore. You can expect recovery up to 20% in the donor area after the intervention in the best case.

My advise to you is to do up to 2500 graft transplants at once, you will secure better donor area recovery on that way, than plan the second intervention after a year. In that sense, it is better to decide which areas you will treat in the first intervention and live the other parts for the second. You will be in better position to follow the results on that way, and you will have enough hairs in the donor area for the second intervention or eventually correction form any reason.

Extracting 5000 grafts at once can can live you without any donor potential. Healing process will be slower and chance for success lower. Also it is very difficult for you to know is it really 5000 grafts transplanted.

Follicles don't regrow from the extraction site. They are being transplanted from one place (donor area) to another (recipient area).

5000 is a lot of grafts to transplant in one FUE procedure. Most doctors prefer to keep the procedures smaller. Whether or not 5000 extractions will leave your donor area noticeably thinner will depend on your density in the area. For some people it will.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Apparently there's a way to preserve donor area hair follicles and to get same characteristics hair follicles in the recipient area, by longitudinal partial extraction of the follicles, leaving even scarless donor area, but I doubt any low budget surgeon use that method.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20388024

Gho method is garbage, doesn't work.