Effects of Estrogen *alone* on hair regrowth

ViciousKeepLeftSign

Not sure if there are many trans people who inhabit this place, but I'm kinda in a weird position where I've been on Finasteride / Dutasteride (plus Min / Biotin and Ketoconazole) for about 15 months then I've been prescribed Estradiol (equivalent to about 2mg / day as a patch) about 4 months ago.

Now I've had a fair amount of regrowth from before I started (more than I expected), but being greedy, I'm hoping that the addition of the estrogen will push things further.

I've seen lots of amazing pics of trans women's hair changes, but all of them have been from no meds to full on HRT.

Does anyone know of any evidence / have experience of regrowth (or thickening) from estradiol alone?

Finasteride / Dutasteride work by greatly reducing the amount of DHT (Dihydrotestosterone) in your body - basically DHT is a super strong version of Testosterone and binds with your scalp follicles to make it miniturise (and increase body / beard hair). Your body doesn't *need* DHT, but it has other functions in the body away from terrorising scalp hair.

Taking out DHT (or reducing it considerably in the case of Finasteride), usually has the effect of stopping further loss and often regrowing some of it. It's why it's recommended by hair loss surgeons (else you'll just get hair loss around the transplant).

Hope that helps.

Yeah, you are very exhaustive. thank you for that but I didnt't understand is there some difference between finasteride and minoxidil? Don't they do the same thing, but minoxidil is used locally and finasteride orally?

• 1 month later...

Hi

I dont have any experience of this, but as a health background i can tell you the relation between the esterol and Hair growth.

Estrogen is not the only hormone that comes into play in menopausal hair loss. Androgens, or male hormones, often increase as estrogen levels decrease. This causes androgenic alopecia, another form of hair loss. An androgen known as dihydrotestosterone (DHT) appears to bind to hair follicles and force them to go into their "resting" phases, or telogen, sooner than normal, causing the new hairs to grow ever thinner with each cycle of hair growth. Testosterone also shrinks hair follicles, causing hair loss on the head but a greater production of facial hair.

It is not only hormones that can cause a decrease in hair production during menopause; there are also several other causes that can lead to hair loss. Keep reading to learn more about other less common causes of hair loss.

Hormone Replacement Therapy

Taking estrogen supplements as part of a hormone replacement therapy regime has its effects on your hair as well. Women can treat a type of hair loss called androgenic alopecia, associated with low estrogen and progesterone, by replacing these hormones artificially. Dosages of synthetic estrogen should be monitored regularly -- abnormal hair growth is a possible side effect of one kind of hormone replacement therapy, called esterified estrogens.

Hope this helps!