Baby shampoo after hair transplant causing damage?

Hi Guys - I was 4 weeks post having had 3,500 FUE and I started using Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo for 2 weeks (until 6 weeks post op). I then read somewhere that using a shampoo which contains sodium sulfate is bad for your new grafts (after the hairs shed the sodium sulfide blocks and damages the new graft from growing).

As the baby shampoo has sodium sulfate i am now in a panic and wondering if i have caused some irreversible damage to my new hair transplant??

Hi Guys - I was 4 weeks post having had 3,500 FUE and I started using Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo for 2 weeks (until 6 weeks post op). I then read somewhere that using a shampoo which contains sodium sulfate is bad for your new grafts (after the hairs shed the sodium sulfide blocks and damages the new graft from growing).

As the baby shampoo has sodium sulfate i am now in a panic and wondering if i have caused some irreversible damage to my new hair transplant??

I used the same shampoo for 2 years following my transplant and it never had any damaging impact. Also most patients also use it with no issues.

If it was damaging in any way then it would not be one of the worlds most popular baby shampoos, think about it.

You'll be OK, stop worrying.

Mr. Fullheadofhair,

The first thing one should do when they have questions about their post-operative after care is to contact the clinic with such questions. No one here knows your case, or your clinic's preferred protocols like they do so always seek answers from them first. However, I do not know of anyone that feels that basic baby shampoo is harmful. You are fine to use it, of course only if your clinic hasn't any objections themselves.

In addition to agreeing with the others that I believe you're fine, I want to encourage you to try not and let yourself get stressed out over the next several months waiting on your hairs to grow. You'll just drive yourself crazy. As long as you're following your doctors instructions and have patience you'll be just fine... :)

Happy growing!

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

You really have to read the label to see which ingredients are in any hair product, both active and inactive.

Try to stay with more herbal based products to avoid hair products that contain chemical based additives that may be harmful or certainly not considered healthy for the hair and scalp.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 2 years later...