finasteride and minoxidil suddenly stopped working

punkrocker

Hi everyone, I need some advice!

I began using minoxidil and finasteride about fifteen months ago. At the age of 28 my hair had receded into an obvious widows peak over about ten years, and over the 18 months preceding the administration of hair loss drugs it had thinned significantly, from thick and tangly to thin and lank. I was shaving my head at the time I started the medications. Over about six months of using both finasteride and minoxidil my hair thickened to the point where I felt I could let it grow back. It wasn’t perfect but definitely an improvement. Prior to shaving my head I found my hair would fall out a lot during the shower, when combing and I would find hairs on my pillow. After letting it grow back and while on the meds this was not happening. People were commenting on how thick and wiry my hair looked. Great! I thought I had nailed it.

Just under a year after beginning the treatment I went away for a couple of days and forgot the medications. On the third day I found the hair loss continued drastically. I obviously went back on both treatments and have been vigilant ever since but the shedding has continued for approximately 4 - 5 months, no sign of letting up. I also drank a lot of alcohol during the two day absence from using the treatments... I worried this could have impacted on its efficacy.

What i’m wondering is, have I ballsed this up? Is there any going back? Was the couple of days missed just coincidental with my returned shedding?

Cheers!

-A

I don't think that two days off would cause this. It's more likely to be one of the dreaded and common sheds that many people experience when taking the treatments. Finasteride and Minoxidil can both cause periods of shedding. If you are shaving your hair occasionally then the changing hair length could impact upon how thick your hair appears to you.

The shedding is almost certainly coincidence. Two days off is such a short amount of time and many guys take the drug only every other day, or sometimes even less frequently, with success. I would also rule out the alcohol.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I don't think that two days off would cause this. It's more likely to be one of the dreaded and common sheds that many people experience when taking the treatments. Finasteride and Minoxidil can both cause periods of shedding. If you are shaving your hair occasionally then the changing hair length could impact upon how thick your hair appears to you.

The shedding is almost certainly coincidence. Two days off is such a short amount of time and many guys take the drug only every other day, or sometimes even less frequently, with success. I would also rule out the alcohol.

Thanks mattj, at least I don’t have to blame myself! I wonder though will this shedding continue now? Is it even worth taking the medications given that they are so costly, and that minoxidil is such a pain in the arse to apply?

Oh and I no longer shave my head, kept my hair mid length for about six or seven months.

I think it's worth continuing the treatments as there is still a chance that the shedding will stop. Just hang in there a bit longer. I know that it's costly and a pain in the arse, but it isn't unheard of to have longer periods of shedding.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I think it's worth continuing the treatments as there is still a chance that the shedding will stop. Just hang in there a bit longer. I know that it's costly and a pain in the arse, but it isn't unheard of to have longer periods of shedding.

Ok, thanks mate!

-A

Hi all

I’ve been on Loniton (oral minoxidil) for about 7 months now haven’t experianced any type of issues with it health wise. Although I hav noticed a massive increase in shedding even up until now. My hair has thinned out quite a lot (not sure it’s the med or just timing). Will fin correct this - I think I need to jump onto something else and quickly !!

Any advise would help