Slow growers

What would consider you as a slow grower ?

You see a lot of good results from people when they reach 4-6 months. I’m assuming those are fast growers. I’m asking because I see a lot of people saying to others that are at 6 months to wait that they will see more growth and not to judge the procedure just yet. Does anyone personally have pictures of a drastic improvement of their results from months 4-6 to let’s say 1 year?

All the people that I’ve seen with poor results at 6 months never change when it gets to one year, at least not drastically to where they are satisfied. They always end up getting another procedure.

Thanks.

I'd consider myself a slow grower. Had my transplant October 11th 2016.

I've attached photos pre HT

5months post HT

7months post HT

15month photo

Hey Craig,

What a difference from 7 months to 15months! How many grafts did you get tranplanted ? And do you have a better picture of it now ?

Thanks

On average, it's between months 5-9 that the regrowth tends to be the most robust.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Hey Craig,

What a difference from 7 months to 15months! How many grafts did you get tranplanted ? And do you have a better picture of it now ?

Thanks

I had 3061 grafts. The best piece of advise I was given was by Bill and Spanker I believe (maybe wrong) who told me that lighting is a hair transplants worst enemy or best friend. It drove me mad to begin with and I was contacting my surgeon most weeks as nothing really got majorly better until 8/9months onward. I recently sent my surgeon my 15 month photos and he said that he'd only advise adding 200-300 grafts (at his charge) for a small area that hasn't grown aswell/maybe some hairs in that area fell out from shock loss.

IMG_8592.thumb.JPG.53fd9599d13cc66f55b89b195a9c943e.JPG

IMG_8553.JPG.d45daa5244ae9c29589fdffe693049c5.JPG

IMG_8705.thumb.JPG.935b3dbc1e2ee51ffacd7d49c30fba35.JPG

IMG_8704.JPG.0799cbb5885e7210789e9c14a4c55f4d.JPG

On average, it's between months 5-9 that the regrowth tends to be the most robust.

So that’s when growth should really take flight you say? Obviously I’m asking because of my own progress which I have a thread open if you want to take a look my last post was at 20 weeks.

I had 3061 grafts. The best piece of advise I was given was by Bill and Spanker I believe (maybe wrong) who told me that lighting is a hair transplants worst enemy or best friend. It drove me mad to begin with and I was contacting my surgeon most weeks as nothing really got majorly better until 8/9months onward. I recently sent my surgeon my 15 month photos and he said that he'd only advise adding 200-300 grafts (at his charge) for a small area that hasn't grown aswell/maybe some hairs in that area fell out from shock loss.

Ya it’s just so discouraging seeing people at 5-6 months and they have great growth and density. Im at 5 1/2 months I just expected it to be more dense at this stage and the fact that my head is still read and pinkish doesn’t help either.

This is the photo I sent my surgeon. As you can see on the right hand side there's a slight patch (with styling products it's nothing)

Also looking at your posts, for 5months I think it looks like it's going well. Dr Nader is a very competent surgeon from what I've read on here and you'll see much further improvement in the coming months

Photo won't upload for some reason. Il try and work out why

Edited by Plymouthcraig
Photo not attached

Ya it’s just so discouraging seeing people at 5-6 months and they have great growth and density. Im at 5 1/2 months I just expected it to be more dense at this stage and the fact that my head is still read and pinkish doesn’t help either.

Amen to that. All I could see online was people's 6month results that look dense/thick and finished. Then I read people saying all hair should be through by 6months and the next 6 will be thickening. My surgeon said his isn't true and hair will continue to grow up until 12 months, maybe even the odd hair after but I didn't believe that.

Looking at the bigger picture, clinics and a lot of people only want to promote the best. Luckily on here most people will post their results at each stage good or not so and this gives a lot of people hope that they're not the only one at the same stage.

Amen to that. All I could see online was people's 6month results that look dense/thick and finished. Then I read people saying all hair should be through by 6months and the next 6 will be thickening. My surgeon said his isn't true and hair will continue to grow up until 12 months, maybe even the odd hair after but I didn't believe that.

Looking at the bigger picture, clinics and a lot of people only want to promote the best. Luckily on here most people will post their results at each stage good or not so and this gives a lot of people hope that they're not the only one at the same stage.

Exactly, I read the same exact thing. Got me a little worried because everyone that was complaining at 6 months most likely were unhappy with the results at the end. I’m like I’m almost At 6 months and I don’t see it happening.

Yea i spend a lot of my time looking at everyone’s progress, which probably isn’t good I’m constantly checking my hair too. It’s driving me crazy hahah.

This is the photo I sent my surgeon. As you can see on the right hand side there's a slight patch (with styling products it's nothing)

Also looking at your posts, for 5months I think it looks like it's going well. Dr Nader is a very competent surgeon from what I've read on here and you'll see much further improvement in the coming months

Photo won't upload for some reason. Il try and work out why

Yea I really like him as a doctor. He uses manual punch does all the extractions and helps with the planting. He was very knowledgeable and deffinity wasn’t trying to sell me on it. Has no type of marketing which is a plus in my book.

I guess the only thing I can do is wait at this point. I just wish the redness would go down more. How long was it til the redness for you subsided ?

Same; it's hard not to feel envious when there are those who have unbelievable results already at 6 months and you're lagging behind. I'm in the same boat; only advice I can give is try and keep things in perspective. Don't over react. Stay calm and live life. Re-evaluate at month 12 to 15. We're only human; we've spent time, money and put our health at risk for this procedure. We want instant gratification. Stay strong my friend

Exactly, I read the same exact thing. Got me a little worried because everyone that was complaining at 6 months most likely were unhappy with the results at the end. I’m like I’m almost At 6 months and I don’t see it happening.

Yea i spend a lot of my time looking at everyone’s progress, which probably isn’t good I’m constantly checking my hair too. It’s driving me crazy hahah.

July 2017 - Dr Cooley - 2575 grafts

My HT#4 was a slow growth (see my thread). I think growth is also a function of age and how much trauma the scalp has gone through in the past. I am finally seeing growth at the 13 month mark but it has come in quite nicely all said and done.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FUT #1, ~ 1600 grafts hairline (Ron Shapiro 2004)

FUT #2 ~ 2000 grafts frontal third (Ziering 2011)

FUT #3 ~ 1900 grafts midscalp (Ron Shapiro early 2015)

FUE ~ 1500 grafts frontal third, side scalp, FUT scar repair --300 beard, 1200 scalp (Ron Shapiro, late 2016)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185663-recent-fue-dr-ron-shapiro-prior-fut-patient.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm in a similar boat. I'm right at 5 months. I felt like posting a thread about it, but I wasn't sure about how to word it... so I'm glad this topic came up. I have hair growing, but I'm getting impatient too. One thing I've noticed is I have so many hairs at completely different lengths because the shock loss happened in 3 different stages, plus there're some new ones coming in. So it's really hard to gauge how long it should be. The good news is that it's looking darker every week as the longer hairs get longer. Looking at it on a daily basis, as well as checking in on 4 month, 5 month, & 6 month videos of other people, has me hopeful & frustrated at the same time. I have noticed some women's videos (mostly black women is what I find), their hair doesn't seem to grow in as quickly as some men do at that same stage. So is there a sex difference I should know about that affects growth, or does that even matter? Also, I had considerable trauma to my head as a todder.... so I'm positive that's a factor. I'm TRYING not to think about it so much, but it's impossible not to because I still have to keep it covered during the day. I just try to stay busy & am looking forward to the summer.

2000 FUT with Dr Bernardino Arocha - August 2017

So that’s when growth should really take flight you say? Obviously I’m asking because of my own progress which I have a thread open if you want to take a look my last post was at 20 weeks.

Exactly...on average, there is almost a direct correlation between the months passed and the percentage of regrowth that has taken place...i.e., 6 months=60%, 8 months=80% and so on.

The other very important factor to keep in mind is the maturation of hair caliber during this regrowth process and even after 12 months.

The higher degree of hair caliber, the better illusion of coverage attained.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY