brahmabull117

So I just started using finnasteride - how much longer before I should do surgery?

I'm a NW2V - I have some mild recession in the temples but a little more extreme loss in the crown - 2 balding patches that I noticed when I was 25 or 26. I started using rogaine since then and I have not lost any more hair. Last week, I also started using fin

here's my question - do I wait 5-6 months before surgery in hopes that maybe the fin will regrow all my lost crown hair or is that very unlikely?? I don't think I've had any sides on fin BTW - I've had no problems finishing sexually 1-3 times a day

I'm 29 by the way. I have great density in the hair except for the temples and the crown. I think a transplant with a good surgeon will make my hair look fantastic

Most doctors will recommend at least one year to see how you respond to the medication.

Most doctors will recommend at least one year to see how you respond to the medication.

what are the odds of extreme regrowth in the crown? Even mild regrowth and I would want to do the surgery

what are the odds of extreme regrowth in the crown? Even mild regrowth and I would want to do the surgery

from my experience, the odds are slim. most people don't regrow hair with finasteride. most people are just able to reduce (not eliminate) the rate of DHT attacking hair follicles, and hence stabilize the loss.

in fact i'd say the vast (90-95%) of people don't regrow hair with finasteride. sometimes i feel like those who claim that they've seen regrowth are only subject to an illusion by lack of lighting or longer hair.

i'm not saying it can't happen but it's surely not common. i say do fins for a year and then consult with surgeons. meanwhile consider dutasteride to enhance the fight against DHT. I take finasteride 5x/week and dutasteride 2x/week after much consulting with my doctor.

these are my opinions

from my experience, the odds are slim. most people don't regrow hair with finasteride. most people are just able to reduce (not eliminate) the rate of DHT attacking hair follicles, and hence stabilize the loss.

in fact i'd say the vast (90-95%) of people don't regrow hair with finasteride. sometimes i feel like those who claim that they've seen regrowth are only subject to an illusion by lack of lighting or longer hair.

i'm not saying it can't happen but it's surely not common. i say do fins for a year and then consult with surgeons. meanwhile consider dutasteride to enhance the fight against DHT. I take finasteride 5x/week and dutasteride 2x/week after much consulting with my doctor.

these are my opinions

then I should just do surgery now. I've stopped the hair loss with Rogaine already

Let's look a the science, shall we? Look up fin/dut studies from clinical trials. You'll see increased hair counts up to a certain # of months - then that's it.

Most people on these meds will see an increase initially in hair counts and then stabilization and if you are an aggressive or steady loser of hair (not talking about really slow hairloss guys over decades) then after about 7-12 years of these meds you'll begin to see 'genetics' taking over again but from a baseline that is more hair than if they never took the meds.

These are generalities, ymmv.

Good luck to you.

Let's look a the science, shall we? Look up fin/dut studies from clinical trials. You'll see increased hair counts up to a certain # of months - then that's it.

Most people on these meds will see an increase initially in hair counts and then stabilization and if you are an aggressive or steady loser of hair (not talking about really slow hairloss guys over decades) then after about 7-12 years of these meds you'll begin to see 'genetics' taking over again but from a baseline that is more hair than if they never took the meds.

These are generalities, ymmv.

Good luck to you.

I've noticed basically zero hair loss last couple years

what's the downside of surgery now?

I've noticed basically zero hair loss last couple years

what's the downside of surgery now?

Shock loss.

Please spend some time doing research on this forum. Many of the answers to your questions can be easily found here. It appears that you should really do a lot more homework before even thinking about surgery. You may end up putting yourself in a very undesirable situation.

Shock loss.

Please spend some time doing research on this forum. Many of the answers to your questions can be easily found here. It appears that you should really do a lot more homework before even thinking about surgery. You may end up putting yourself in a very undesirable situation.

shock loss is a risk at any point though right

I'm just frustrated because I have beautiful black hair except for the front left temple and two patches in the crown. Fixing those 3 things will make me look great

shock loss is a risk at any point though right

I'm just frustrated because I have beautiful black hair except for the front left temple and two patches in the crown. Fixing those 3 things will make me look great

Correct, but Finasteride can help strengthen existing hair and minimize shock loss. It can also help “future proof” your hair from requiring multiple surgeries.

I understand your frustration, but hair transplant surgery is serious. If you are not FULLY aware of the pros and cons for your specific situation you may regret the surgery for the rest of your life. Proof of misguided and uninformed patients can be easily found on this forum. Some of them end up here to blame everyone else, but themselves, for their poor decisions.

Correct, but Finasteride can help strengthen existing hair and minimize shock loss. It can also help “future proof” your hair from requiring multiple surgeries.

I understand your frustration, but hair transplant surgery is serious. If you are not FULLY aware of the pros and cons for your specific situation you may regret the surgery for the rest of your life. Proof of misguided and uninformed patients can be easily found on this forum. Some of them end up here to blame everyone else, but themselves, for their poor decisions.

What I'm asking is if I'm maintaining almost 100% with Rogaine, why would I not react well to fin also?

Even if I don't react well to fin, can't I just keep taking rogaine for a long time?

What I'm asking is if I'm maintaining almost 100% with Rogaine, why would I not react well to fin also?

Even if I don't react well to fin, can't I just keep taking rogaine for a long time?

Because Rogain and Finasteride are completely different medications. You just don’t know how your body will respond to one med over another.

You may or may not react well to Fin. The point is you don’t know until you try it, and you won’t know if it is effective for your hair loss for approximately 6-12 months. Side effects are a completely different story. You may or may not experience sides within days, weeks or even months after starting Fin which forces you to stop. If you have surgery tomorrow (for example) and you’re forced to stop Fin in 6 months, then what will you do??

Also, Rogain is proven most effective on the crown. If you have a transplant on your crown and temples and have to stop taking Fin, how do you know that you won’t start losing hair in the frontal third or mid-scalp? Then you’ll have an island of permanent transplanted hair in the crown and a patch on your temples. You’ll look like a freak show unless you have another surgery to play catch up. Will you have enough donor hair to constantly play catch up? Do you want to have multiple surgeries 1, 2 or 3 years apart?

The point is there are so many possibilities and outcomes that you can’t predict. If you are able to take Fin without sides and it is effective at preventing further hair loss, your chances of a successful hair transplant increase significantly. Since you can’t predict the future, you need to be prepared for any outcome and have as much knowledge as possible so you truly know what you’re getting yourself into. There’s no guarantee you will look amazing after a transplant.