Advice for the young guys looking to jump into a HT

Sometimes hearing other people just telling you to be patient and don't rush is frustrating, as you want to address things ASAP. But take my story as a small example of how things could potentially go pear shaped when you're making emotional decisions... I made my first post here in 2012 as a 22 year old who was an emotional wreck, due to what I perceived at the time to be the beginning of the end of my youth with the onset of MPB (at the time I was a solid NW2, what the hell was I thinking!). I was so so close to signing up to a HT but felt like I needed to do my due diligence first before putting any deposit down, and boy am I glad I did.

Coming across this forum and the wealth of knowledge and support from its members made me reconsider jumping into a HT so young and unsure of what future MPB I had in store, not to mention this particular doctor I was about to sign up with was pushing for FUT and had a less than stellar reputation. Would've been a terrible mistake with a scar to boot.

On advice from the forum I restarted Fin which slowed everything to a crawl, fast forward to now I am 28 and my hairloss is around a NW2.5 (slowly heading towards a 3). Now I'm at a stage where my hairloss has stabilised, I've been patient and done my research for 6 years on top doctors and now have a procedure booked in Belgium with Dr. Bisanga for FUE.

So advice for the young guys, play the long game. Exhaust your other options first before making this big decision. At the time I thought I would be potentially saving my youth and my 20's where I could have potentially ruined that with a botched HT, now I've had fun in my 20's I'm positioning myself to have a prosperous 30's hair wise as well :)

Edited by bennyt89

Good advice Benny, you have also chosen an excellent surgeon.

A lot of the posts I see here recently seem to be younger guys enamoured with the latest Youtube video results.

Folks should ignore such hype and advertising propaganda and spend a few months on this forum researching surgeons who have been vetted by this community, as well as hairloss topics in general.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

If someone is radically losing hair prior to age 25 then NO action is warranted until at least then because if you transplant into a very young (rapidly losing hair) person it's like trying to fill a bucket w/massive holes in it.

You'll probably kill off all the minituarizing hair and even some terminal hairs into the areas transplanted.

Lose lose.

Good advice.