What is my condition(pic)?

Hello guys,

i'm 36, balding for more then 3 years now.

i would like your help determine my baldness level, if i'm fit for hair transplant and how much grafts needed if i can do a transplant?

i never took any medication and not willing to take Propecia after the op.

q1.thumb.jpg.4c39b7e8aeea6c896402bd129bf72e98.jpg

s1.thumb.jpg.7a6ce131b036f47cd4deefa4866d7336.jpg

w1.thumb.jpg.26a68353632077f4132613b915a4a7ab.jpg

You currently need 2000-2500 grafts in the front 1/3 area in my opinion. I would not lower your hairline at all because where it is currently at is age appropriate and looks good. Your hair loss pattern shows you will likely continue to lose hair. If it were me, I would get on Fin and try to save what I have in the crown while focusing surgery on the front 1/3 area. Otherwise, if you are not ok with having a bald crown, I would not get a hair transplant. There is not enough donor hair to cover the area of hair loss you will have in another 10-15 years without Fin.

You currently need 2000-2500 grafts in the front 1/3 area in my opinion. I would not lower your hairline at all because where it is currently at is age appropriate and looks good. Your hair loss pattern shows you will likely continue to lose hair. If it were me, I would get on Fin and try to save what I have in the crown while focusing surgery on the front 1/3 area. Otherwise, if you are not ok with having a bald crown, I would not get a hair transplant. There is not enough donor hair to cover the area of hair loss you will have in another 10-15 years without Fin.

thanks for the reply

you recommend doing transplant and not fixing the crown baldness? what's the point?

based on what you say there will not be enough donor to cover the future baldness? is there some sort of pattern on how it would look like in the future?

BTW, which NW level am i right now?

Hi Redarmy,

You are 36 so you have done quite well to retain your hair up to this point without the use of any meds.

Your hair seems quite thick and plentiful, judging from your pics I would say that you are blessed with a decent donor area.

It would be beneficial for you to start on Finasteride, your crown area seems ideal for improvement via Fin judging from past patients progress. However if you are dead against taking meds then surgery is a viable option.

You do have the option of using fibres, a bit cumbersome but they will reduce your need for surgery by maybe another 5 years or so at which point you will be more clear on you hairloss pattern.

Saying that, your hairloss is similar to mine at your age and to get some idea where you could end up then you may want to view my thread in my link below.

If you decide to go for surgery now then I would agree that you could do with about 2500 grafts to strengthen the hairline, mid scalp and fill in the temple areas, maybe a further 800 or so grafts to strengthen the crown if you must.

I would say right now you are a NW 3 heading for a NW 4.

Hello Shera,

Thanks for opinion.

I just got an offer from very respectful Dr. who claims i need 5000 grafts.

I'm a bit shocked consider the comparison i had to other conditions i saw and their very successful transplant. not only i got more grafts number then they did but more then double.

I hope the estimate he gave me got nothing to do with our countries current relationship(which to say the least is at the rock bottom).

anyway i'm shocked and will lock somewhere else

You could get a transplant and put some grafts into the crown and look good now. However, if you are not taking Fin you will likely lose more in the future and need more work. A bald crown area takes a bunch of grafts to achieve even light coverage. That is why I suggested getting on Fin to hopefully save what you have so if you do get a transplant, the result from it will last. I have seen guys who were not on Fin achieve great results but i think it’s best to take preventive meds if you are able to tolorate them.

There's no way that you need 5000 grafts. There is not enough bald space to put that many grafts! It's possible that they were speaking of hairs rather than follicular units - a follicular unit contains on average 2 hairs, with some being single hairs and with the occasional 4 hair unit. It's important to clarify this.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

thanks guys for the replies.

Shera - i will let you know..

Triple7 - i'm totally against those drugs, I've eared of the side affect they can cause and it brought me shiver down my spine.

mattj - I was shocked when i read the Dr. response and that's 5000 grafts not hair 100%, that's what they wrote and also calculate the price on that amount. like i said, i have a feeling it's some bad blood between our countries otherwise i have no idea how he got to that number.