Losing transplanted hair a year after due to skin condition or infection?

Okay, so this is worrying. I think I might have shed/loss some of my transplanted hair a year after surgery. As some of you will have seen from my main thread I had pretty good growth, although a few weaker spots on the right side. Anyway all was seemingly fine but then over the past few weeks I’m become a little more conscious of the weaker spots. I put it down to just obsessing and poor lighting (apartment is all recessed spot light so are quite harsh) but then this past week I felt the the front definitely wasn’t as strong as it was and then today, after getting my hair cut and looking at it closer, it really doesn’t appear that I have lost some hair.

The fact that it grew after the HT give me hope it’s just temporary, but I have to say it’s got me quite stressed. I will get in touch with Asmed on Monday to get some advice and thoughts from Dr Koray, but in the meantime I’ve been googling and I’m thinking it might be related to some skin condition. One of the articles and posts I found mentioned itchiness a year after HT and that brought up a number of skin conditions that can also result in hair loss.

As it’s happens, my recipient area is still a little itchy and I find myself touching it (not scratching harshly of course) several times a day. TBH, I’d gotten so use to it that it didn’t overly cross my mind as it was a common and expected side effect for the first few months. Anyway, on the rare occasion it crossed my mind I just put it down to dry skin and kept telling myself I should get some moisturising scalp treatment. However, after freaking out a little today and doing some research, I am o wondering if this itching is related to the hair loss? One of the conditions mentioned was seborrheic dermatitis and that can cause hair loss.

What do you guys think? I have taken a picture of my scalp, the light washes it out a little but I think it does look a little pink and inflamed.

45AB01E3-E5CE-4C12-B5A7-863026D8283B.thumb.jpg.c33dfc3c9579dfdbb0b04459c4339f72.jpg

8C080C51-5114-46E8-958A-8F2BC22D8E6F.jpeg.01b7f7719d81cd5734591e54ad7e6f74.jpeg

Could be a seasonal shed. Or the loss of native hair around the transplanted hair, both can lead to the hair looking thinner.

Seasonal sheds affect a number of HT recipients, there are few times in the year where your hair just isn't as thick.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Could be a seasonal shed. Or the loss of native hair around the transplanted hair, both can lead to the hair looking thinner.

Seasonal sheds affect a number of HT recipients, there are few times in the year where your hair just isn't as thick.

Hi Speegs, I saw comments about seasonal shed too. Do you know if this is something that only effects areas where there is a mix of native because what appears to be thinning is just transplanted hair. Until about 2cms back, all the front of the hairline is transplanted hair and it’s only further back that it’s a mix of both.

After posting yesterday and paying attention. I have realised that my scalp is a lot itchier than I had realised. As I said, you get use to things so you don’t fully notice or pay attention but now it’s on my radar, I realise that I find myself touching or wanting to touch my head because of itching perhaps 3-4 times an hour. As above, I’m not scratching it with my nails, just sometimes touching it as that in itself seems to ease the itch at least momentarily.

Anyway, on that basis, I’m going to pop out today and get some medicated shampoo (T/Gel) to start helping smooth the scalp and I’ll also see what Dr Koray and his team come back with. While it could be lot of things, I guess in many ways I want the cause to be some something like seborrheic dermatitis because at least then I know that if treated the hair should grow back. Unless someone suggests otherwise?

I guess everyone does get itching after a HT , and that goes On and Off , but no one can really get rid of it , seems that the constant punching of the scalp makes it more DRY and Sensitive , If that wud lead to a Hair fall of Transplanted hair ? I really don't know !

All I can vouch for is that after about 14 months or so the Transplanted Hair looks thinner and less dense , I have spoken to many ppl and almost all agree that the Hair does not look as Dense as it did at months 10 , 11, 12 , 13 .

Actual Patients have reported this on this forum many times , BUT No one is sure what causes it , some say donor Thinning , some say DHT from the frontal scalp playing on DHT Resistant Donor area , yet others say Hair Taken from None safe Zone,

whatever it is I am 100 % sure that after the 1st year its a Downhill , you wont loose all ur HT hair but the Original Density will be Lost .

I am not arguing the lasting of the surgery , I am saying that density in the first year does not Hold after 14 months ... I think you got confused , The density that you enjoy at the start of the 8th Month till around 14 months , drops in the coming months and years .

I am not arguing the lasting of the surgery , I am saying that density in the first year does not Hold after 14 months ... I think you got confused , The density that you enjoy at the start of the 8th Month till around 14 months , drops in the coming months and years .

the density isn't gone unless you lost a significant amount of natives since your op but after an op you get all those new hairs in their anagen phase, they all grow out together and you get to see the absolute best of your hair but then it becomes like the rest of your hair, and will go thru the telogen phase and just naturally look a little less full due to the cycle nature of hair but the transplanted hair isn't gone or any less dense. If anything it is probably stronger and healthier and more like your regular hair than at any point prior.

the density isn't gone unless you lost a significant amount of natives since your op but after an op you get all those new hairs in their anagen phase, they all grow out together and you get to see the absolute best of your hair but then it becomes like the rest of your hair, and will go thru the telogen phase and just naturally look a little less full due to the cycle nature of hair but the transplanted hair isn't gone or any less dense. If anything it is probably stronger and healthier and more like your regular hair than at any point prior.

Hi Mikeyhwk, so are you saying it’s possible that some of the transplanted hairs are now in their resting phase?

I completely understand your point, I just think it is wrong.

Of course donor hair is not 100 % resistant vs. DHT especially for some high NW.

But common (scientific) opinion is that density increases until 2 year mark and typically remains constant for many years.

Hi Mikeyhwk, so are you saying it’s possible that some of the transplanted hairs are now in their resting phase?

yes, they'll just continue to cycle, you'll probably notice it strengthen in a few months time and feel like other weakness has appeared. This is the downside of an op, even when it's done amazingly well, it's not native density, it's an illusion, when the hairs cycle there is always going to be a little bit of weakness appearing as it'll play with the illusion.

Are you using Nizoral man? I lost transplanted hair to Niz overuse after my Hasson procedure (I suffer from chronic scalp excema).

Don't overuse the 2% especially.

Also HT results peak around the 12-15 month mark as all the new hairs are in the growth stage at the same time, but after a while things balance out some hairs shed as part of the regular cycle.

You often see this on forums and is why people recommend to wait 18 months or more before a second procedure.

My guess is that the cause is one of the above.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

• 1 month later...

How's it going with this, Jax? Thought I'd dedicate my first post to you after following your case very closely for the last few years and planning to follow in your footsteps with ASMED and no meds.

Have to say I'm a bit discouraged after getting the feeling that you are not a 100% pleased with your decision.

Sincerely wishing your absence from the forums is due to living a carefree life with your new amazing hair. :) But would still love an update as this thread is worrysome.

How's it going with this, Jax? Thought I'd dedicate my first post to you after following your case very closely for the last few years and planning to follow in your footsteps with ASMED and no meds.

Have to say I'm a bit discouraged after getting the feeling that you are not a 100% pleased with your decision.

Sincerely wishing your absence from the forums is due to living a carefree life with your new amazing hair. :) But would still love an update as this thread is worrysome.

Hi, welcome to the board. Don’t worry, it’s not that I’m avoiding posting because I’m unhappy I’m just getting on with life and super busy (and stressed) with work which means I don’t really think to check the forum to often. As for the post above, I think I might have been having a bit of a panic and perhaps overrated. Is it perfect? no, but it still looks pretty darn good and I don’t regret it one bit. I only have to look at some pics from before my HT to see the massive difference. Sure there are some weaker spots and I’m of course conscious of those, but I have been in touch with the clinic and as well as recommending some ketoconzaol shampoo for the itching and asking me to send some follow up pics in April, they are happy to do a small touch up for me which I plan to do after the summer.

So have you booked in with Asmed yet?

Hi, welcome to the board. Don’t worry, it’s not that I’m avoiding posting because I’m unhappy I’m just getting on with life and super busy (and stressed) with work which means I don’t really think to check the forum to often. As for the post above, I think I might have been having a bit of a panic and perhaps overrated. Is it perfect? no, but it still looks pretty darn good and I don’t regret it one bit. I only have to look at some pics from before my HT to see the massive difference. Sure there are some weaker spots and I’m of course conscious of those, but I have been in touch with the clinic and as well as recommending some ketoconzaol shampoo for the itching and asking me to send some follow up pics in April, they are happy to do a small touch up for me which I plan to do after the summer.

So have you booked in with Asmed yet?

Great to hear that you are getting on with life and as people already said, that new frame to your face knocks off a good amount of years. Having said that I do agree with your decision to do a small touch up to make the hairline a bit denser.

Couple questions:

1. With them saying happy to do a small touch up, does that mean without charge?

2. As for your question, I have not booked but I have taken the first step in pushing my summer vacation to October instead. I want to be at home at least 30 days before I go back to work and then I'll have a good excuse to wear a hat October-April (I live in cold Sweden).

In your experience, would you say it's likely for me to get a reservation in October if I contact Asmed in March?

Great to hear that you are getting on with life and as people already said, that new frame to your face knocks off a good amount of years. Having said that I do agree with your decision to do a small touch up to make the hairline a bit denser.

Couple questions:

1. With them saying happy to do a small touch up, does that mean without charge?

2. As for your question, I have not booked but I have taken the first step in pushing my summer vacation to October instead. I want to be at home at least 30 days before I go back to work and then I'll have a good excuse to wear a hat October-April (I live in cold Sweden).

In your experience, would you say it's likely for me to get a reservation in October if I contact Asmed in March?

They said free touch up, but I think I’ll have to cover hotel costs and of course my flight

I don’t know what their bookings at like currently but I think I confirmed mine for Oct in May of the same year.

They said free touch up, but I think I’ll have to cover hotel costs and of course my flight

I don’t know what their bookings at like currently but I think I confirmed mine for Oct in May of the same year.

Aha, well it's good to hear that they stand by their work. Thanks for your fast answer and looking forward to following your touch up case.