2500 grafts with Dr Steven Gable

MattyNJ1

2499 +1 grafts with dr. Steven Gabel Hillsboro Oregon.

After a couple years research I decided to schedule my Fue HT with Dr Gabel. we spoke a few times over the phone and after speaking with him, and reading other testimonials, I felt completely confident in his abilities to schedule a consultation. I booked my flight from the East Coast to go meet him at his facility.

After meeting with Dr Gabel at his office and having a very lengthy in-depth consultation, I was confident enough to go ahead with the tentatively planned surgery the following day. Together we put together a game plan for my HT, that was realistic and efficient we figured between 2000 and 2500 graphs and designed a realistic hairline to accommodate the Harvest.

The next morning brighten early I was greeted by his staff of 10 who were absolutely welcoming and hospitable... all there for mine and mine only private procedure.

After a quick revaluation and some measurements I was ushered back to a completely sterile staged clean procedure room with a full staff looking at me in full shrubs, ready to go.

The procedure lasted approximately 12 hours, the first six hours Dr Gabel tediously extracted my graphs followed by the remaining six hours of meticulous incisions, and placement, with a few breaks for lunch and bathroom in between.

I think what separates Dr Gabel apart from the rest first of all is his passion for this particular surgery and you can hear it and feel it in his energy when he speaks and shares his extensive knowledge about hair transplant surgery as well as his advice. And also the fact that Dr Gabel extracts all the grafts himself as well as places the graphs as well. There was not a moment that went by (other than short breaks) where Dr Gabel was not, literally seated next to my head for the entire 12-hour procedure. This made me very comfortable, and all the difference for me.

I can't say enough about his staff of absolutely welcoming experienced young ladies, who all work together like a well-oiled machine. After Dr. G extracted the graphs and the team did the final count we all had a good laugh because the count came to exactly 2499... as a perfectionist this was not good enough for Dr. G Who set up his punch one more time for one more graft to make it an even 2500...

After what was a very long tedious day the crew wrapped me up took care of me and I went back to my hotel. the next morning I received a text from Dr Gabel asking how I felt and was eager to get me back in the office for a follow-up... upon arriving he was amazed that the healing that had already had taken place, and again put me in the hands of his completely capable crew who remove my bandages and dressings, and spent over two hours cleaning and redressing my head for my flight home.

... all in all a fantastic experience there was never a moment I didn't feel I was in a fully capable competent hands.

Now time for the healing and the process... I will check back I tried to blog as much of this as I can.

Norwood ll

Donor stats:

1 Hair / 382 /15.3%

2 Hair / 1,140 / 45.6%

3 Hair / 868 / 34.7%

4 Hair / 110 / 4.4 %

20171212_191123.thumb.jpg.218be75b311bbeecd5147557083fc972.jpg

20171212_191230.thumb.jpg.4cb6c3a85130d743d47abbd20eb9d1af.jpg

20171212_191351.thumb.jpg.1e4e365f75573a8758ba842db2b45d23.jpg

20171212_133250.thumb.jpg.1001015742fc682f36dc79d073e770d1.jpg

Edited by MattyNJ1

12/11/17 2500 FUE Grafts with Dr. Steven Gable

Great write up and great to hear you had a fantastic experience! I wouldn't expect any less from him and his staff. I had a Skype conversation with Dr Gabel and he is exactly how you have described him. Very detailed, know's his 'stuff' and you can definitely feel his passion!

I had the difficult choice of picking between him and Cooley (and he knew as well!), i felt so bad when i told him that i had selected Cooley. He was so re-assuring and went on to say that i would be in great hands.

Anyhow, the work looks great and I'm sure you're going to have great result!! Heal well and please keep us posted with your progress!

Matty,

You certainly did pick an outstanding physician. Assuming you are from New Jersey (considering your alias contains those letters), I'm like you - I traveled from PA to Vancouver, so about the same distance to get my hair transplants.

I can't wait to see your results. Please post monthly updates so we can follow along with your progress.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks Bill. Yeah really wasn't a big deal traveling for the right Surgeon...made a small vacation out of it..!

DAY 5

Most if not all the crusting came off in yesterdays (day 4) "gentle shampooing" of the grafted areas. Front is still slightly numb but looking pretty good. I had some significant stubble residue in the sink after the first rinse on day 2, i think maybe shock loss from the back donor, since the front grafts are still there....?

Yesterday the area was red almost a dark purple color. (Assuming that is good blood supply to the new grafts) ....Back donor area as been an after thought, although some slight pain during last nights sleep, i think maybe the numbness is going away and the nerves regenerating, but nothing intolerable at all. Back donor is healing pretty good what do you think?..i think its healing quite well for only 5 days and most importantly NO strip scar...for me that was important.

(Hair is at diff lengths, front recipient area was shaved much lower that the rest.)

20171216_083323.thumb.jpg.717de03f76de2724f7e9ef03510df4c0.jpg

20171216_083307.thumb.jpg.a5fc1f05680db803066627fabb46a473.jpg

20171216_083548.thumb.jpg.3b5049e1d76077f82a754aadcb2a53f1.jpg

20171216_085357.thumb.jpg.8be9726237a571566b81a388e16155be.jpg

Hey Matty, the work looks really clean and aside from slight redness, it just looks like you've had a shorter hair cut.

Yeah, all in all a pretty painless process if you ask me.,,and a testament to Dr. G's work. Aside from a very long 12 hr uncomfortable day getting needles and holes drilled in your head....i would equate the procedure and recovery aspect to...idk, maybe a very long tattoo session on a painful area of the body?? :o;)

Edited by MattyNJ1

Yeah, all in all a pretty painless process if you ask me. Aside from a very long 12 hr uncomfortable day getting needles and holes drilled in your head....i would equate the procedure and recovery aspect to...idk, maybe a very long tattoo session on a painful area of the body?? :o;)

Haha I wouldn't know what getting a tattoo feels like but i know what you are saying. Looks like you and I had a procedure at the same kind of time, all be it I had FUT and more grafts. My procedure lasted 13.5 hours but I really didn't feel much (could be a contribution of jet lag and the meds) apart from the last hour where the shoulders / neck started aching.

Don't you wish you had a fast forward button now!! :cool:

Haha I wouldn't know what getting a tattoo feels like but i know what you are saying. Looks like you and I had a procedure at the same kind of time, all be it I had FUT and more grafts. My procedure lasted 13.5 hours but I really didn't feel much (could be a contribution of jet lag and the meds) apart from the last hour where the shoulders / neck started aching.

Don't you wish you had a fast forward button now!! :cool:

Congrats! ...I feel that the cold winter (here in NJ) was perfect timing for this "process" but yes FF>> would be nice....put a log on the fire and break out some good vino! and before you know it we will be unveiling in springtime!! Like the Phoenix Rising from the ashes!!! Hahaha....; ]

Edited by MattyNJ1

• 2 weeks later...

(3 weeks into my HT)

Time went by quickly, It hasn't been much of an issue for me. I planned for this during the winter months for this reason. Record cold here in NJ, with temps in the single digits, makes it easy to wear a hat and conceal, and pass the time...so no big deal there.

The shedding phase began right at week 2 for me just as Dr G said it would and little by little all those precious transplanted hairs are falling out one by one.

I see why alot of guys get real discouraged during this (ugly duckling phase) as it can be quite disconcerting. But i just stay focused on the future picture. Im back to the gym full time, eating right, and running (2-3miles) every day....even cutting back on the vino as well. Its all about the new year and the new me in the spring. So crushing some of these fitness goals is helping pass the time for me.

Most of the pain has been gone in the donor area, although still quite itchy at times...the crown and recipient areas are still slightly numb, but feeling is returning little by little., and are itchy as well. Ive had no problems with scabbing, they were all gone by the end of the 1st week or so, thanks to Dr. Gables post op protocol.

The one thing iam concerned about, is shock loss. Although ive never shaved my head this short before, but it looks like i have less hair now on the top of my head than i started with. Shock-loss ive heard can be permanent and this right now has me worried a bit. 2500 FUE is alot of grafts, so i have faith that each and every one will all be sprouting this spring and prove me wrong. And that any shock loss will return as well. I would hate to learn that this procedure COST me hair loss, while relocating new hair, just to break even....Time will tell. Disclaimer : Pics are fresh off the pillow "bed head" and still haven't buzzed trimmed or cut my hair since the procedure.

20180102_083513.thumb.jpg.3588c29220b8be2a9174526aa07c2a06.jpg

20180102_083608.thumb.jpg.b8e2b4ee0649044543e86eeceef3bb4f.jpg

20180102_083716.thumb.jpg.66b7edeb12103a2b45375670198de20b.jpg

Hey Matty, looking good so far!

Try not to worry too much about shock loss. I think permanent shock loss is pretty rare, but temporary shock loss is quite common. I had a bit myself from my surgery in the middle of October. Best thing you can do is try to put those types of concerns out of your mind and just let the process happen. I look worse now at 2.5 months than I did prior to surgery, but that seems to be totally normal. You went to a fantastic doctor so nothing to be concerned about on that front.

I'm in NYC and I hear you about the freezing cold weather we've been experiencing. I'm so happy I decided to get my transplant going into the winter because there are no worries about sun exposure, and I'm happy to be less social in the winter months anyway. Summer should be fun for both of us!

Try not to worry too much about shock loss. I think permanent shock loss is pretty rare, but temporary shock loss is quite common.

I'm in NYC and I hear you about the freezing cold weather we've been experiencing. I'm so happy I decided to get my transplant going into the winter because there are no worries about sun exposure, and I'm happy to be less social in the winter months anyway. Summer should be fun for both of us!

Thanks for the encouragement, nothing to do now but wait.....Good luck to us both!

Try not to worry too much about shock loss. I think permanent shock loss is pretty rare, but temporary shock loss is quite common.

Thanks for the encouragement, nothing to do now but wait.....Good luck to us both!

Edited by MattyNJ1

congrats on your procedure with Dr. Gabel, you had a decent head of hair before, this procedure will undoubtedly be a big cosmetic improvement.

Thank you im hoping for a good result for sure Cheers!

Day 25 end of the shed.

Everything has shed out, the past 8 days or so... easy to see why its dubbed the ugly duckling phase :eek: (Hard to tell there were so many hairs transplanted to that area now....)

Tapered off the past 24hrs, to just about nothing when i gently wash, or run the pads of my fingertips over the recipient area. Shedding is over.

Moving on to the growth phase...

Supplements Iam taking everday:

MSM, Saw Palmetto, Blackseed oil, Flaxseed oil, Organic Chlorella & Spirulina, Viviscal Professional

Using Revivogen Shampoo and Revivogen syrum

20180105_165604.thumb.jpg.99bcf2a19d29d9172dcaa97c49be7526.jpg

5b32f84a0e154_day10postop.thumb.jpg.1fc9d1b3fec4d396082693a2ca2b6ab6.jpg

5b32f84a3516a_day8postop.thumb.jpg.1c61f8dc6ec25306d865b97e72422b7b.jpg

Edited by MattyNJ1

Everything is looking good at this point. It won’t be long until things start steadily improving. Keep exercising and eating right. I firmly believe that helps get things rolling a little faster.

I agree. There is much to be said for the relationship btwn Hair loss / Diet. Probioitcs are also a huge link between the two.

Leaky gut, dysbiosis, candida even certain histamine in tolerances /food allergies all effect hair loss /growth. Look into black seed oil the stuff is amazing...

Matty,

Yes! Congratulations on ending the shed!! Now you're about to emerge a swan! Haha

And you're right there is so much info regarding nutrition and hair loss! Really looking forward to seeing when your hair starts coming in!!

12/2017 - 3500 Grafts- Dr. Emrah Cinik

Follow my progress:

Matty,

Yes! Congratulations on ending the shed!! Now you're about to emerge a swan! Haha

And you're right there is so much info regarding nutrition and hair loss! Really looking forward to seeing when your hair starts coming in!!

Thank you looking forward to Rising like the Phoenix From the Ashes! :D I believe you had yours done one day after I did? Mine was 12/11/17