Dr. Jerry Cooley - 4103 grafts (FUT) - 11 Dec 2017

UKLad81

Looking great mate, good call including the pre-surgery photos. It's so much easier than having to flip back and forth between first page to compare photos. One more thing that might be helpful is to include an immediate post-op photo in this post so we can see exactly how far back Cooley went when placing grafts. 

hey man,,,,are these current photos with Dermmatch? or toppik.....If it isn't, then you look good from where you started.  Of course the lighting can play tricks on density....I think one more pass through you should have a decent coverage.....Do you happen to have a picture of your suture line?  

Thanks!

3 hours ago, jcs87 said:

Looking great mate, good call including the pre-surgery photos. It's so much easier than having to flip back and forth between first page to compare photos. One more thing that might be helpful is to include an immediate post-op photo in this post so we can see exactly how far back Cooley went when placing grafts. 

Thanks buddy, yes it was exactly for that reason i added the pre-op photos. I’ve added a picture of where the grafts were added in my previous post as requested. Hope you’re seeing some more growth, the pictures you shared last week looked very promising indeed. Speaking of which when you adding your thread here?

7 minutes ago, dboy318 said:

hey man,,,,are these current photos with Dermmatch? or toppik.....If it isn't, then you look good from where you started.  Of course the lighting can play tricks on density....I think one more pass through you should have a decent coverage.....Do you happen to have a picture of your suture line?  

Thanks!

Cheers buddy, these are all photos WITHOUT any concealer. With toppik it looks even better but you would expect that. You’re right about the lighting. Under strong lighting the scalp is definitely more visible but as you said from where i was prior to surgery to now, there is a massive improvement. I’ll add some photos in my next update in strong lighting. Definitely a second pass to add more density as well as finish the crown off is on the cards at some point. I dont have any pictures of the incision but will add some in my next update. Getting pictures of the incision is not a one man job!

To be honest I would be expecting a lot more growth for that amount of grafts. I don't really see a major cosmetic improvement, most of the hair there seems to be the original forelock.

https://hassonandwong.com/hair-transplant-results/patient-1933/?_sfm_number_of_grafts=4000+4500

https://hassonandwong.com/hair-transplant-results/patient-1898/?_sfm_number_of_grafts=4000+4500

You definitely have a strong hair quality, these results show how far that amount of grafts can go so I would have expected a bit more. Not trying to be negative for the sake of it but I'd definitely see if Cooley can do a graft count to see what your yield was if you go back for a follow up.

7 hours ago, JeanLDD said:

To be honest I would be expecting a lot more growth for that amount of grafts. I don't really see a major cosmetic improvement, most of the hair there seems to be the original forelock.

https://hassonandwong.com/hair-transplant-results/patient-1933/?_sfm_number_of_grafts=4000+4500

https://hassonandwong.com/hair-transplant-results/patient-1898/?_sfm_number_of_grafts=4000+4500

You definitely have a strong hair quality, these results show how far that amount of grafts can go so I would have expected a bit more. Not trying to be negative for the sake of it but I'd definitely see if Cooley can do a graft count to see what your yield was if you go back for a follow up.

I think that's a bit harsh for the following reasons:

1. UKLad is just crossing the 8 month mark. Those H&W results are at the 15 and 21 month mark. That is certainly not an apples-to-apples comparison.

2. It would be expected that H&W (just like any doc) is gonna showcase their best results on their website. So these guys probably represent part of the top tier of results.

3. The second guy had more native hair than UKLad. (The first guy is an amazing transformation - especially since it is FUE which we know H&W started doing later than many docs).

For me  the success or failure of this result  is dependant on how successfully the  finished result  changes the shape and look of the  distinctive  forelock in relation to the rest of the balding head so the   forelock blends in with the  midscalp, for this to be achieved the mid -scalp needs to thicken up which hopefully  it will do in the following months .

Edited by Mick50

• Administrators

There is a definite improvement and still time for more improvement, at the end I expect Dr. Cooley to stand by his work. I hope you keep us updated UKLad.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

In my opinion the is one thing to consider while judging this results:

The intact hairline which is normally a good thing, might also have a negative impact as well in this particular case.

The hairline is very low for such an high degree of balding, much more aggresive than a "transplanted" hairline, would have been if remeining hair would have been spread all over the head. As a result there is an enormous area to cover. I assume much bigger than most people with similiar amount of loss.  

@UKLad81huge progress has been made. I'm very excited for you; the next few months should continue to make changes. I hope you walking with a swagger in your step?

ref when to take pictures:  dry is more realistic unless you walk around with wet hair? when taking pictures style your hair the way you normally do. I'm sure Dr Cooley implanted the hair at certain angles for a hairstyle you had/were desiring. Maybe going in the opposite direction won't be a true reflection of the work done?

But man: huge changes from day 1. Really looking forward to seeing the hairs thicken up. You had a huge area that was worked on; and good things take time.

July 2017 - Dr Cooley - 2575 grafts

12 hours ago, jcs87 said:

I think that's a bit harsh for the following reasons:

1. UKLad is just crossing the 8 month mark. Those H&W results are at the 15 and 21 month mark. That is certainly not an apples-to-apples comparison.

2. It would be expected that H&W (just like any doc) is gonna showcase their best results on their website. So these guys probably represent part of the top tier of results.

3. The second guy had more native hair than UKLad. (The first guy is an amazing transformation - especially since it is FUE which we know H&W started doing later than many docs).

HnW showcase thousands on their website and there are another 30 or so in this graft range and similar loss so there's plenty to there to base my point on.  I agree that there's likely still improvement to come over the next few months though.

11 hours ago, JeanLDD said:

HnW showcase thousands on their website and there are another 30 or so in this graft range and similar loss so there's plenty to there to base my point on.  I agree that there's likely still improvement to come over the next few months though.

I've spent a lot of time on the H&W website and as far as i am aware there is nowhere near "thousands of results" 

In fact I just went to the website out of curiosity and found approximately 64 photo before and afters and 225 video before and afters. So that's a total of approximately 300 results (if we assume there is no overlap between the guys in the photos and the guys in the videos).

Can you show us where you found thousands of results on their site?

Regardless, I agree with you that UKLad's result is certainly not a homerun at this point, but he's still got time before we should pass final judgement and stress him out.

UKlad81 has a very good result that is still maturing, so I would expect to see the more seasoned members of this forum remember the basics of hair transplant timelines. He's at 8 months so there is more development to be expected. 

Some points about UKlad81's case should also be remembered. His hair is not only very dark with a high contrast to his fair scalp, his hair overall is quite fine. His existing forelock was also still very prominent so the procedure had to not only cover a nearly shiny bald NW5A area (we did not go far into his crown) but the density had to blend with the forelock which already had a high density. I'll also remind people that when you wish to compare result to keep the hair style in mind (as well as other factors) and in this case, where UKlad81's case was compared to another with similar loss, the hair coarseness difference, which is significant (and confirmed by the clinic consultant on their respective thread), was not included in the consideration, nor was the style. UKlad81's hair is brushed back while a comparison shared was brushed forward. This makes a very significant difference in perceived density and actual coverage and will vary widely from patient to patient.

At this point, Dr. Cooley is pleased with UKlad81's progress and there is nothing to indicate that there is anything wrong with the result thus far. 

I represent Dr. Jerry Cooley online. All opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Dr. Cooley. I am not a doctor.

Learn more about Jerry Cooley MD and Hair Center in Charlotte, NC

For complimentary consultations with one of the leading hair transplant doctors worldwide please contact us here.

Hair Transplant Consultation With Jerry Cooley MD at HairCenter.com

I'm happy to leave it to the 12 month mark to voice my opinion and state the facts about the situation, and I'll make sure to voice it with emphasis when that time comes.

"but the density had to blend with the forelock which already had a high density."

I also agree this should be the expected result and goal,  but I take serious issue suggesting that it was already a high density. 

5b32f7acc8b42_Day3Pre_PostWash.thumb.jpg.5f2ae0127c43ec7bae30d5176e266dc2.jpg5b32f7ace20f2_Day4Pre_PostWash.thumb.jpg.03056a6576fd8e30951de13d7e96ec14.jpg

The forelock is visibly diffused and this is shown here and from a variety of angles. Having had a procedure myself with grafts in-between and in front of a remaining forelock my experience was that it able to blend naturally with transplanted hair without a distinction as a  a forelock and some strays either side. If the goal of hair transplantation is a natural result then that isn't it, and if it is due to a large area to cover (I've seen enough results to know that isn't the case here) then more density should have been focused at the front to have a more seamless blend of transplanted and native hairs. On top of that, when OP inevitably loses the forelock from progressive loss, what is this going to look like? 

I won't comment further until 12 months but I do take issue when people act like something is a success or looks great when it clearly has a long way to go, and potentially mislead a patient into thinking they can't expect more or that it's close to what an acceptable full result should look like. 

Edited by JeanLDD

On 8/16/2018 at 4:40 PM, Mick50 said:

2 hours ago, JeanLDD said:

I'm happy to leave it to the 12 month mark to voice my opinion and state the facts about the situation, and I'll make sure to voice it with emphasis when that time comes.

"but the density had to blend with the forelock which already had a high density."

I also agree this should be the expected result and goal,  but I take serious issue suggesting that it was already a high density. 

5b32f7acc8b42_Day3Pre_PostWash.thumb.jpg.5f2ae0127c43ec7bae30d5176e266dc2.jpg5b32f7ace20f2_Day4Pre_PostWash.thumb.jpg.03056a6576fd8e30951de13d7e96ec14.jpg

The forelock is visibly diffused and this is shown here and from a variety of angles. Having had a procedure myself with grafts in-between and in front of a remaining forelock my experience was that it able to blend naturally with transplanted hair without a distinction as a  a forelock and some strays either side. If the goal of hair transplantation is a natural result then that isn't it, and if it is due to a large area to cover (I've seen enough results to know that isn't the case here) then more density should have been focused at the front to have a more seamless blend of transplanted and native hairs. On top of that, when OP inevitably loses the forelock from progressive loss, what is this going to look like? 

I won't comment further until 12 months but I do take issue when people act like something is a success or looks great when it clearly has a long way to go, and potentially mislead a patient into thinking they can't expect more or that it's close to what an acceptable full result should look like. 

On 8/16/2018 at 4:40 PM, Mick50 said:

For me  the success or failure of this result  is dependant on how successfully the  finished result  changes the shape and look of the  distinctive  forelock in relation to the rest of the balding head so the   forelock blends in with the  midscalp, for this to be achieved the mid -scalp needs to thicken up which hopefully  it will do in the following months .

I have to agree with Jean here ,as I said in the above post the success of this case largely hangs on how well the transplanted hair blends in with the distinctive   forelock .  I  hope      that would have been the main consideration in the pre-plan, and  in my opinion the forelock wasn't  so dense that the  transplanted hair couldn't  match it and blend in seamlessly, which at this point is not the case. Hopefully by the 12 month mark things will have improved .

Edited by Mick50

Jean,

There are two problems with your observation.

1. Your forelock was noticeably miniaturized throughout and placing within it was the right move. This patient's forelock is thin around the perimeter, not within the forelock itself, and while it is not native density, it is considerably more dense than your own and with more obviously terminal hairs, and there was no need to add anything to it. Why would Dr. Cooley want to make the thickest area of the patient's scalp thicker when the rest of his scalp was bald? That doesn't make sense.

If the goal of hair transplantation is a natural result then that isn't it, and if it is due to a large area to cover (I've seen enough results to know that isn't the case here) then more density should have been focused at the front to have a more seamless blend of transplanted and native hairs. On top of that, when OP inevitably loses the forelock from progressive loss, what is this going to look like? 

2. You present a contradiction. How can a more natural result be achieved by focusing all of the grafts near the front? Is "density" your definition of natural? The density could of course go higher but then that would mean the coverage to the vertex would not have been achieved. All of the grafts would need to go up front to blend the density with the forelock and little coverage would have been achieved in the mid-scalp and none on the vertex. It comes down to simple math. 

I can appreciate if your taste would call for a different approach but what meets one's taste does not always meet with what is practical. 

I represent Dr. Jerry Cooley online. All opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Dr. Cooley. I am not a doctor.

Learn more about Jerry Cooley MD and Hair Center in Charlotte, NC

For complimentary consultations with one of the leading hair transplant doctors worldwide please contact us here.

Hair Transplant Consultation With Jerry Cooley MD at HairCenter.com

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/20/2018 at 3:13 AM, HairCenter said:

UKlad81 has a very good result that is still maturing, so I would expect to see the more seasoned members of this forum remember the basics of hair transplant timelines. He's at 8 months so there is more development to be expected. 

Some points about UKlad81's case should also be remembered. His hair is not only very dark with a high contrast to his fair scalp, his hair overall is quite fine. His existing forelock was also still very prominent so the procedure had to not only cover a nearly shiny bald NW5A area (we did not go far into his crown) but the density had to blend with the forelock which already had a high density. I'll also remind people that when you wish to compare result to keep the hair style in mind (as well as other factors) and in this case, where UKlad81's case was compared to another with similar loss, the hair coarseness difference, which is significant (and confirmed by the clinic consultant on their respective thread), was not included in the consideration, nor was the style. UKlad81's hair is brushed back while a comparison shared was brushed forward. This makes a very significant difference in perceived density and actual coverage and will vary widely from patient to patient.

At this point, Dr. Cooley is pleased with UKlad81's progress and there is nothing to indicate that there is anything wrong with the result thus far. 

I strongly disagree with you. This is "not" a good result for the amount of grafts transplanted given that the patient's hair quality is quiet good to begin with.

I'd suggest you address the problem rather than irrationally defend it. This behavior won't do Dr Cooley any favors.

Regards.