Dr. Jerry Cooley - 4103 grafts (FUT) - 11 Dec 2017

UKLad81

So today marks Day 11 post op. I've had no scabbing or crusting at all. The only slight inconvenience is the incision which feels a little tender in a few places. I have had to take paracetamol a few times before sleeping just to make sleeping a little more comfortable.

I'm also showering as normal but still applying very little pressure in the recipient area. Applying the antibiotic cream twice a day on the incision as advised by Dr.Cooley. Nothing more to report! :confused:

I've attached some photos as the scalp looks today and also a comparison of how it looked on Day 1 to today. Hard to imagine that these will fall out soon!!

Welcome any comments.

IMG_6622.thumb.jpg.2c77f0f1a6e24061226b2b3a0af96a5d.jpg

IMG_6628.thumb.jpg.fae58aa8e5d7b1d9b376632bd1d7e4bf.jpg

image1.jpg.785e082997d8b378b84f57eaaae3a25b.jpg

Edited by UKLad81
Added photos and edited text

Hope so Buzzbee!

Not really been out to be honest. Worked from home the week I got back. But I do use toppik to conceal the balding areas so I'm hoping that people will not notice much difference other than the hair at the back being longer then normal.

Thanks buddy!! To be honest, anything would be an improvement on what I had previously!! But yeah I'm hoping a year from now things look a lot better. I'm already thinking of the next procedure to finish the crown work and maybe add some more density if required.

Dr.Cooley advised that I should wait 3 weeks to get them out. So first week of Jan.

Speaking of which i have attached photos of the incision. Again the first photo (image1.jpg) is what the incision looked like on Day 1 and the second (image2.jpg) is what it looks like today. I'm amazed how the incision has healed so well. I'm still applying the antibiotic cream twice a day.

Again i would really welcome community members for any feedback on the procedure so far!

Finally, Merry Xmas to you all!!

image1.jpg.4f5ab07ad87fb2ace0f2d8b7ada5b9f5.jpg

image2.jpg.310e373eb0e471bce9d262996b5461c3.jpg

Happy you stayed back a few days to get the daily washes

You'll be at peace once the sutures get removed; you should feel no pain at all.. the worst is all in your head.. if it does hurt then whomever is removing them is doing them wrong!

July 2017 - Dr Cooley - 2575 grafts

Happy you stayed back a few days to get the daily washes

You'll be at peace once the sutures get removed; you should feel no pain at all.. the worst is all in your head.. if it does hurt then whomever is removing them is doing them wrong!

Completely right buddy, i had the sutures out last Thursday at my local GP. She was a little rough to say the least and certain areas did hurt. The incision did look a little red after but has calmed down since then. I'll try and get some photos up for opinions.

Shedding also started last Thursday, which was expected. What's worrying me is the amount of hairs coming out of the donor area. That's something I didn't expect as my donor area was pretty strong. Still remaining calm and just need to ride out the next couple of months.

Thinking of getting my hair cut later this week. What do people normally get on the back and sides for a first hair cut post HT?

Hey UKLad81, glad to hear things are going well. I'm in the midst of my shed which hopefully will finish soon. I'm also planning on getting my first post op hair cut this week. If you're able to post some updated photos I think that may help with the responses regarding your hair cut question. Also, did Cooley's office suggest the shortest that your back can be cut?

Hi there, I've had 2 transplants, but i haven't blogged them on this forum. with my first transplant, i got my hair cut a day or 2 after getting my stitches out because i wanted to even out the hairs on the donor as well as recipient. For my 2nd hair transplant, i got my hair cut around 30 day mark because i had some shock loss in the donor area which look like white patches.....and I'm currently 5 weeks post 2nd hair transplant and the donor loss still there.....so hopefully it's not permanent.....Could you post a pic of your suture line...Since i'm of asian decent, it is kinda of a dark reddish line and hopefully it will fade...How about yours?

Completely right buddy, i had the sutures out last Thursday at my local GP. She was a little rough to say the least and certain areas did hurt. The incision did look a little red after but has calmed down since then. I'll try and get some photos up for opinions.

Shedding also started last Thursday, which was expected. What's worrying me is the amount of hairs coming out of the donor area. That's something I didn't expect as my donor area was pretty strong. Still remaining calm and just need to ride out the next couple of months.

Thinking of getting my hair cut later this week. What do people normally get on the back and sides for a first hair cut post HT?

There are way to many variables to spell them all out here. Each surgeon has their own techniques and each clinic does it according to the protocol they are given. Dr. Cooley is meticulous. He is involved. Our team is not only experienced but all trained here with him. Each step is taken very seriously. The excision in an FUT/FUSS and the closure takes several hours but the edges of the strip have little to no waste. The slivering is done under high magnification with one follicle wide slivers and excess trimmed away allowing the cutters to see the entire follicle and do less potential damage. This allows Dr. Cooley to make smaller and more shallow recipient incisions because the follicles are well trimmed without the extra tissue that is often left. Grafts placed with a lot of tissue at the top or where it exits the skin causes "tenting". This is what some refer to as that bump and this will crust more. It also can cause ridging. Dr. Cooley also uses ACell in all surgeries so the scar formation is inhibited. This is a brief overview of some of the fine differences that Dr. Cooley feels makes a difference in not only healing but a normal appearing scalp and the overall end result.

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Clinical Supervisor for Dr. Jerry Cooley

Carolina Dermatology Haircenter

Charlotte, NC

Day 24 Post Op Update

As previously mentioned the shedding started around Day 17 and still continue to shed. Not really worried about the grafts as we all know that these are temporary in the early days. Still a little worried about how many hairs are falling out from the donor area though.

I have noticed that the head is a little itchy both on the scalp and around the incision area. Sometimes, it does feel like something is crawling on the scalp (no its not lice!), is this blood flow or something?

The mid scalp still feels a little numb and small areas of the incision (particularly behind the ears) still feel a little tender. Other than that I still find it hard to believe how painless the whole procedure has been, both on the day and up to today.

Taking MSM daily, Propecia 1mg (Mon/Weds/Fri) and the Help Hair protein shake daily. Run out of the shampoo that Dr Cooley's clinic gave so back to using Alpecin. This is one that is recommended by the clinic and I've also been using it for the last 6 months. Although, I might change the shampoo due to a slight 'dry scalp' which Dr.Cooley advises as being dermatitis.

I've also had a hair cut today - a low #2 and the hair dresser did a great job - well I think so anyway! ;)

I've attached some photos both of how it looks today and how it looked a couple of weeks ago and the donor area following the hair cut. I also received from photos from Dr.Cooley of how things looked immediately post op, again I have attached them.

@dboy318, I've attached pictures of the incision as requested. Hopefully, they help. Its hard when you doing it yourself. :P

@arussell, thanks for your detailed response. Appreciate you cant describe everything that Dr.Cooley does but I think this should give everyone that reads your reply an idea about the process. Btw, I can't believe I didn't get to see you when I was there!

@jcs87, thanks mate. Appreciate the positive words!

Again any feedback, would be appreciated!

5b32f842ec490_Day24PostOp.jpg.c3f7ac12f43f7821a1c7d921c7a26e71.jpg

5b32f8430943d_Backfollowinghaircut.jpg.3ad245fad1042ca567aed80129cbfd3f.jpg

5b32f8431d98f_LeftSideincision.thumb.jpg.a2653ae214e6bf964864442d140b48b9.jpg

5b32f843339ff_RightSideincision.thumb.jpg.e259098e5c4e0783e32a9b946b5934eb.jpg

5b32f84356e35_BackIncision.thumb.jpg.34ad3fa77aaf584659e17671e77dc632.jpg

IMG_0109.thumb.jpg.423b078f886334fed5ccdd1913d444f5.jpg

IMG_0110.thumb.jpg.4d09c6548868062b89bad0386b51b15f.jpg

You did see me but you just don't remember! I have been in surgery daily! The itchy feeling can be the dermatitis or it can be the nerves coming "alive". The crawly feeling is just that. The hair cut looks great in my opinion as well! The shedding will stop! It is so random that we don't really know why it occasionally happens. You may want to alternate shampoos. I like to tell everyone that these shampoos are really scalp treatments so put them on sparingly, leave on for 5 minutes lather then rinse then use whatever other shampoo you like. Keep us posted!

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Clinical Supervisor for Dr. Jerry Cooley

Carolina Dermatology Haircenter

Charlotte, NC

uklad81...thanks for the pics of the scar line...Do you feel any raised keloid scar feeling when you run across the line at some points...? I think you will have a good result....I dont take propecia due to sexual side effects, but i apply topical finansteride to my crown only..I take biotin and i also add in MSM like you from time to time .The wait time is prob gonna be your frustration....i started seeing hairs at 3 months and started thickening every month after until about month 7 or 8 when what you see is what you get.....

Well today marks Day 29 post op. I would say at least 90% of the grafts have fallen out and seems to be slowing down now! Probably back to where i started. Hairs are still falling out in the donor area and am hoping that it stops very soon.

Still feel some numbness particularly in the mid scalp area.

The incision is healing pretty well, with the right side healing faster than the left. The left side was a little more red and since last week I've been applying Bio-Oil every night (recommended by Dr.Cooley). My brother tells me that the back is harder to find which is great to hear.

@forgotpassword: Hey buddy, things are going as expected. Flight home was very comfortable. Paid a little extra and upgraded to business. Hope all is going well with you!

You did see me but you just don't remember! I have been in surgery daily! The itchy feeling can be the dermatitis or it can be the nerves coming "alive". The crawly feeling is just that. The hair cut looks great in my opinion as well! The shedding will stop! It is so random that we don't really know why it occasionally happens. You may want to alternate shampoos. I like to tell everyone that these shampoos are really scalp treatments so put them on sparingly, leave on for 5 minutes lather then rinse then use whatever other shampoo you like. Keep us posted!

Thanks Aileene! Appreciate the support and positive words! And you're probably right, i don't remember at all.

uklad81...thanks for the pics of the scar line...Do you feel any raised keloid scar feeling when you run across the line at some points...? I think you will have a good result....I dont take propecia due to sexual side effects, but i apply topical finansteride to my crown only..I take biotin and i also add in MSM like you from time to time .The wait time is prob gonna be your frustration....i started seeing hairs at 3 months and started thickening every month after until about month 7 or 8 when what you see is what you get.....

Nope don't feel any raised areas along the incision. Apart from certain areas being more red, the incision looks pretty good at 4 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Day 44 Update

So I'm just over 6 weeks since the procedure took place. Majority of the grafts fell out a few weeks back and I'm back to how things looked prior to the procedure.

I'm still noticing quite a few hairs coming out from the donor area whilst showering. Although, it hasn't made much difference in the appearance, you cant help but feel a little worried when you see the hairs in your hands. I'm taking propecia, MSM and the Help Hair shake as well. Is this normal?

The incision is still red/pinky and does get a little itchy at times. Still have some numbness in the mid-scalp

I do use toppik when I go in to work and wash it out when I get home. I know Dr Cooley mentioned that its okay to use it but just wanted to check does using toppik affect the grafts from growing? I read some where that toppik doesn't but would be interested to hear from others.

All in all, hard to believe that the procedure took place 6 weeks ago, time is flying and its really been "business as usual" since then. At times I forget I had the procedure done. Its been pretty comfortable and pain free. Looking forward to see out February and hopefully see some of the Cooley magic un-fold!

I'll post some pictures later this week.

I'm right behind you and still have some itchiness in the donor/recipient area as well. There is still quite a bit of pinkness and redness too. No worries though, it seems like this is very normal. Just the waiting game now!

• 3 weeks later...

Day 66 Post Op Update

Well I'm just over the 2 month mark since the procedure with Dr Cooley. Time is really flying by and sometimes I forget that I had the procedure. Not sure if this is a combination of work being full on or because I've some how blocked it out. Nevertheless, its great that the last 9 weeks have flown by with no issues!

In terms of an update,

• Incision is slowly healing and the redness is also slowly fading. I'm applying Bio-oil every night on the incision (as advised by Dr Cooley) which looks like is helping the healing.
  • There is still some numbness in the mid scalp area and around the incision but its been no bother.
  • There has been no pain in the recipient / donor area whatsoever.
  • The only minor issue has been the itching which mainly occurs around the back of the incision and the mid scalp. It can get a little frustrating but normally calms down after taking an antihistamine.
  • Across the scalp, I do get the sensation like "something is crawling" and at times can feel "like something is coming through".
  • I have noticed a lot more "baby fine" hairs appearing in the mid scalp area which I have attempted to picture. Could this be early growth?
  • I can feel some stubble like hair in certain areas, these maybe the grafts which didn't fall out during the shed.
  • I'm still shedding some hairs in the donor area maybe some 10-20 hairs during washes. Dr Cooley has advised that this is normal at this stage and should stop over soon.

I wash the hair daily using either Baby Shampoo or Alpecin (probably use Alpecin 3 times a week). On days where I go in to the office, I apply toppik and immediately wash the toppik out when I get back home, to keep things clean. I'm also applying coconut oil at least twice a week.

Still taking Propecia (Mon/Weds/Fri), MSM daily and the protein shake (3-4 times a week).

I've been in touch with Dr Cooley and his clinic providing updates every so often. Dr Cooley has been kind enough to reply back every time I have emailed him. He has advised all is on track and as it should be.

I've attached some photos and would welcome any feedback.

Comparison.jpg.acb5a41ff80f2e6b1c9544fd9e25473f.jpg

5b32f96411627_Scarattheback.thumb.jpg.864270f25e09a00aca5abb06f01cf75f.jpg

5b32f9642361e_Rightsideofthescar.thumb.JPG.df46590df9c1bb0bfe0f878e78ab9cb5.JPG

5b32f964351ba_Leftsideofthescar.thumb.JPG.0749653930091991b0f6a1288e056c58.JPG

Left.thumb.jpg.8fdfacfa1b726a5e7e58a1349cd71133.jpg

Right.thumb.jpg.b0c4e669ed2e08d966cdc0c04e546084.jpg

IMG_0069.thumb.jpg.9040d404c08fe675f39aaaae6e3d1c37.jpg

IMG_0071.thumb.jpg.be974717fc905feca31dac1c80362731.jpg

IMG_0072.thumb.jpg.a1c3deec3bfd9f829236a7f2e81eebe0.jpg

Top.thumb.jpg.b8f79be25095dd1bb7b1602f8c55e645.jpg

Looking good so far UKLad! The scar looks great, I can't believe how much the redness has faded. Good things to come!

Thanks buddy! It's getting better as the weeks go by and I also think the bio oil might be playing its part as well. That said the incision behind the ears are always pretty red so I may introduce Aloe Vera to further help.

Worst part is nearly over; looks like you're in for a load of fun!

You're right, looking forward to seeing out March and hoping the magic starts then. How's yours going, any update?

Hey UKlad81: will have an update in the next few weeks.

Growth has kicked in and I walk around with my hair brushed back while wet.. something I haven't done in a very long time. To be honest the best thing I can say is my brain isn't consumed about hair anymore. Just hit 7 months so will do an update at 8 months to show the changes.

Easier said than done but try to relax and let the work take it's course

Thanks buddy! It's getting better as the weeks go by and I also think the bio oil might be playing its part as well. That said the incision behind the ears are always pretty red so I may introduce Aloe Vera to further help.

You're right, looking forward to seeing out March and hoping the magic starts then. How's yours going, any update?

July 2017 - Dr Cooley - 2575 grafts