2,500 FUE grafts with Dr. Cooley (11/27/17)

buzzbee

looks good man; best wishes for the months ahead

Looks like I'm starting to shed in patches. I've been sleeping with a cloth surgical cap every night to protect from scratching, etc and wearing a neck pillow to prevent from rolling over. Still spraying my grafts daily and taking Help Hair protein and Fin daily, so I'm pretty satisfied with my post op care.

Thoughts on photos/progress?

July 2017 - Dr Cooley - 2575 grafts

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like I'm starting to shed in patches. I've been sleeping with a cloth surgical cap every night to protect from scratching, etc and wearing a neck pillow to prevent from rolling over. Still spraying my grafts daily and taking Help Hair protein and Fin daily, so I'm pretty satisfied with my post op care.

Thoughts on photos/progress?

I think the spray and travel pillow etc is a bit overkill. I think it's understood that the grafts are seated after at least 5 days

Thanks everyone. I'm done with the spray and back to sleeping without the neck pillow.

Now that it's 4 weeks post op, when I get a haircut do I need to avoid the recipient area since there are hairs growing out of it? If so, do I need to wait until they all fall out?

Edited by buzzbee

If you followed all the instructions (and I think you have), then many patients have very minimal crusting. The spray helps tremendously and yes we know it is annoying to do it but makes the difference! The best is yet to come!

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Clinical Supervisor for Dr. Jerry Cooley

Carolina Dermatology Haircenter

Charlotte, NC

If you followed all the instructions (and I think you have), then many patients have very minimal crusting. The spray helps tremendously and yes we know it is annoying to do it but makes the difference! The best is yet to come!

Hi Ailene! Yes, I have followed all the instructions pretty thoroughly and had very minimal crusting and no scabbing.

I sprayed for 30 days, wear hats daily in the sun, wash my hair thoroughly but gently every day using your office provided shampoo, take daily propecia and the help hair shake.

On another forum, someone wrote to me:

"The way you care for your hair will also influence the rate of shed so usually by this time most clinics will have already recommended that you wash your hair thoroughly and vigorously as if you never have had surgery. This helps the hairs that have already separated from the follicle to shed and this keeps the scalp healthy."

I'm 5 weeks post op with probably 60% or so of my recipient hair shed so far and I'm guessing it will be another 2-3 weeks before it's fully shed. Should I be vigorously washing my hair? I wash my hair normally which is pretty gentle and I've always been gentle with my hair even pre-op.

Also, what are your thoughts on the 5 week pics?

Im 3 weeks post op and my shedding has just tapered off in the past day or so....85% of the sheding started late week 2 and all of week 3, not much has fallen out the past 24 hrs. Early to shed, early to grow! (i hope)

12/11/17 2500 FUE Grafts with Dr. Steven Gable

Shedding like healing is very individual. There is not steadfast rule for this. Everyone will regrow a little differently as well. As for washing, gentle is what we recommend. We tell all patients and it is in our post op, do not use the fingernail, only the pad of the finger. You can massage to tolerance but don't gouge at your scalp. The waiting is about to begin and is the hard part. Next year time time you will understand the reason you took this leap of faith!

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Charlotte, NC

The neck pillow is for comfort in the donor area, both with FUE and FUT/FUSS. The spray should always be used until gone. It can only help. It is not overkill, it is doing all that is possible....... it takes a full 7 days on average for the grafts to be well seated. I have seen many not ready for normal treatment at 6 days and a few at 8 or 9 days. Remember this is very individual, taking extra care can't hurt but always follow directions and keep the area clean and hydrated.

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Charlotte, NC

Got my first haircut on the back and sides and a little off the top. Not liking the thinning on my mid-scalp and crown area though, but maybe it's just magnified due to the close up photos and harsh lighting. I feel that my post-op care has gone off as well as it could have. Like they say, the waiting is the hardest part.

Untitled1.thumb.jpg.2d7095f197265027006a61673ffa9c41.jpg

Untitled212.thumb.jpg.5ecc4d63a46370e9f8a06606d6b8c4f3.jpg

Untitled21212.thumb.jpg.df1972ac91a73b0fa224fc59869f995e.jpg

wfwew.thumb.jpg.b60767734c625cbac113c42a24a025cc.jpg

Edited by buzzbee

Add a little toppik to the mid scalp area buddy and it will disappear. Has that recently thinned?

This is probably the hardest time, get through the next few weeks and fingers crossed the magic should start!

Are you taking any meds / vitamins? I know you are taking the Help Hair shake.

Hi UKLad81,

I don't think it has thinned recently. I recall my barber telling me maybe 6-7 years ago that it was thin, but of course everything progressively gets worse. I'm on fin and some basic multivitamins and generally maintain a healthy diet. Thanks! Waiting is tough but it's already a month and a half for me, so I think by summer things will be looking up.

Looking forward to seeing your results!

• 2 weeks later...

Things are moving slowly and I'll probably do updates every 2-4 weeks from here on. Looks like the shedding phase is done but I still see/feel stubble like hair that hasn't grown or fallen out in weeks. I guess they are dormant.

Interested to hear your thoughts.

1-28-18b.thumb.jpg.2dfae3d46d25c902ed0ae47ff76bb673.jpg

1-28-18c.thumb.jpg.2374e21578c80eca721d52e402e08b3f.jpg

1-28-18a.thumb.jpg.6629e524e6a8d78057e9b83b6ade0f17.jpg

1-28-18.thumb.jpg.a232c36efb694d2eaed4d10dd03e050e.jpg

Edited by buzzbee

MattyNJ1: Thanks! No tanning, no way. I wear a hat every time I step foot outside. I'm naturally tan and I guess a hat doesn't protect my entire face from the sun.

jcs87: From what I've read/heard/seen, I think so. Also, I think part of the whiteness (more like pinkness) is from the area being protected from the sun for 2 months.

Edited by buzzbee

MattyNJ1: Thanks! No tanning, no way. I wear a hat every time I step foot outside. I'm naturally tan and I guess a hat doesn't protect my entire face from the sun.

jcs87: From what I've read/heard/seen, I think so. Also, I think part of the whiteness (more like pinkness) is from the area being protected from the sun for 2 months.

Gotcha, that makes sense. Well like you said, gonna be slow going at this stage. Just gotta remain patient.

How is the itchiness, numbness, etc? Any pain at this point?

jcs87: No itchiness so far which I'm surprised at. The only area that was ever itchy was the donor area. That was fairly itchy early on but no longer. Don't think I had any numbness whatsoever other than possibly immediately after the surgery. The only pain I had was in the donor area but that went away within 7-10 days. Based on the comments everyone seems to think the progress is going well including my dr's office and I think a lot of that is of course due to Dr. Cooley's and his staff's expertise as well as my following the post-op protocol to the T.

HTREGRETS: Thanks!

My recipient area is always itchy...and tingling. Maybe nerves returning, or maybe hair ready to sprout who knows. Also getting alot of pimples in both areas. Donor /Recipient

12/11/17 2500 FUE Grafts with Dr. Steven Gable