Cheddar

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

3 month update:

So far I haven’t noticed any changes - positive or negative. I haven’t experienced any noticeable side effects and everything feels normal, but I also haven’t noticed any changes to my hair. I have noticed maybe a little less hair in the sink when combing, but I haven’t seen a change in density or new growth.

I believe 6-12 months is the point where results (if any) will be more noticeable. I plan to continue with 1.25mg daily and will provide another update in a month.

I hope it works for u .. what’s your Norwood ? Did ur hairs get too thin already ?

I’m starting my 6 month .. like u I don’t notice the side effects ..libido is a bit lower .. but that’s fine , before I began fin my testosterone level was at the high level .. I can see why my body would be causing so much Dht cuz of that ..

... just like u , I haven’t really notice much difference in hair quality n or hair fall ..hair fall is slightly better .. I can tell when I do the pull test ,, sometimes it hurts with a slight tug but won’t fall out,, then there be days where a slight tug n I get a hair or two ..

U should try the pull test .. it was on the tv show doctor oz .

I hope I didn’t start on propecia too late . I’m only a Norwood 2 right now and about to be 39, .. with no history of family hairloss, so didn’t think twice when I see a few hairs fall .. just thought it was going to grow back , but unfortunately they grow back smalller n thinner when u have MPB .my top hair currently is thin, but still have density . So if propecia doesn’t work n make those hairs thicker , we done for :(

I fukked up n didn’t use it sooner , like 2-3 years ago when my hair was still thick .. propecia would of helped better .. within ya the best , I’m a few months ahead of ya .. keep us updated ..

3 month update:

So far I haven’t noticed any changes - positive or negative. I haven’t experienced any noticeable side effects and everything feels normal, but I also haven’t noticed any changes to my hair. I have noticed maybe a little less hair in the sink when combing, but I haven’t seen a change in density or new growth.

I believe 6-12 months is the point where results (if any) will be more noticeable. I plan to continue with 1.25mg daily and will provide another update in a month.

The good news is that it sounds like your loss is stabilizing which many times is the best news...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 1 month later...

4 month update:

PROS:

I have noticed much less hair falling out in the sink when combing. Overall hair loss seems to have slowed considerably (possibly stopped). Also, my existing hair quality has improved significantly giving the illusion of more hair. It definitely appears thicker and I’ve received some compliments. I am quite impressed with the results after only 4 months.

CONS:

No noticeable new growth/regrowth. I understand new growth is rare, but l still hope to improve my crown density over the next 6-8 months. No significant sexual side effects except l have noticed a slight decrease in semen volume. There is definitely less than before taking Fin. I have no issues with my ability to “function”.

I will continue to take 1.25mg of generic Fin daily and I’ll provide another update in a month.

Definitely sounds like the shed cycle has finished and a new growth cycle has kicked in...:cool:

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

• 4 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 3:27 PM, Cheddar said:

4 month update:

PROS:

I have noticed much less hair falling out in the sink when combing. Overall hair loss seems to have slowed considerably (possibly stopped). Also, my existing hair quality has improved significantly giving the illusion of more hair. It definitely appears thicker and I’ve received some compliments. I am quite impressed with the results after only 4 months.

CONS:

No noticeable new growth/regrowth. I understand new growth is rare, but l still hope to improve my crown density over the next 6-8 months. No significant sexual side effects except l have noticed a slight decrease in semen volume. There is definitely less than before taking Fin. I have no issues with my ability to “function”.

I will continue to take 1.25mg of generic Fin daily and I’ll provide another update in a month.

Hi Cheddar, just stumbled across this post - do you have any updates since April, it should be the 8 month mark now? 

it should really be kicking in now...;)

Gillenator

Glad to see here someone with no negative side effects to FIN.

I had FIN 3 yrs ago (I was 36 then) for a good one year and had no side effects. I stopped using it since I didn't see much growth (later I realized that hairfall has increased considerably so in hindsight I should not have stopped). Even at 36, I had to stop it for 2 weeks when we were planning to have a baby (and it worked, with me being on FIN, there were no libido issues but semen quality wasn't good) ...I took FIN on-off for few weeks and then gradually got off of it.

Now at 39+, I'm norwood 6 probably with diffused thinning and i realized in Feb..damn, I should've been on FIN. so, I started my regimen regularly and this time the side effects are very apparent....very low libido/low energy...so I'm not liking it at all. I have not seen morning wood since Feb. I'm taking supplements like Ginseng, Ashwaganda off of Amazon but I don't think they're doing anything. A big decision for me to be on FIN or not or chose a bald head...:(

My suggestion would be to talk with the doctor who prescribed it for you...hopefully that was a ht doctor who really understands MPB and the hair loss medications such as low dose finasteride. 

The doctor may be able to put you on a less frequent dosage which can potentially reduce and at times eliminate the side effects.

I take it every other day and have for years and it still is very efficient.

Gillenator

2 hours ago, gillenator said:

What amount do you take every other day ?

I just started 1.25 per day 8 days ago with no sides so far. Just wondering, If you make it say 30 days with no side effects, how good are your chances to continue that way ?

21 hours ago, gillenator said:

My suggestion would be to talk with the doctor who prescribed it for you...hopefully that was a ht doctor who really understands MPB and the hair loss medications such as low dose finasteride. 

The doctor may be able to put you on a less frequent dosage which can potentially reduce and at times eliminate the side effects.

Actually FIN was first prescribed to me by a dermatologist when I went to show them my itchy scalp. I have seboherric dermatitis.

From this week, I will move to Monday-Wed-Friday-Sunday schedule. 2 months from now, I'll just move to Mon-Wed-Friday.

I also have a laser cap that I use every other day so I'll use it on days when I'm not using FIN. Like I said in my earlier post, I also bought ginseng and ashwagandha on amazon (not much benefit as of now but will continue). I also take the GNC multivitamin each morning. I also bought shilajit from amazon for 60 bucks and it appeared to be better than other supplements but the problem with that is I get neck itch (as soon as I stop, it goes away after couple of days). 

Other than the libido thing, does anyone else suffer from low energy on FIN? Maybe it's just in my head.

It would still be a good idea to talk with your doctor about it.

Gillenator

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...

2 year update:

I have been off this site for a while, but I wanted to drop in and give an update on my experience with Finasteride.

I was experiencing diffused hair loss and visited three hair transplant doctors that have been reviewed on this site.  All three recommended that l start Finasteride daily.  I didn’t start right away because l was concerned about side effects, but after another year of continued hair loss l finally gave in and filled my prescription because l was afraid of losing my front hairline.

I began taking 1.25mg of generic Finasteride (5mg tablet split into quarters) in November 2017.  It has now been 2 years and I am still taking the medication.  Below is a summary of my experience:

- l did not notice any significant shedding when starting Fin - everything just seemed to stay the same.

- l started to notice less hair falling out in the sink about 6 months after starting.

- No noticeable side effects other than significantly less semen volume by the 6 month mark, and this has not changed after 2 years.

- No noticeable changes to sexual function after 2 years (l was very paranoid about this when l first started, but l can honestly say everything “works” perfectly fine).

- My hair loss has completely stabilized. My crown has not thinned any further and l still have a distinct hairline.

- Unfortunately l did not notice any new hair growth as some people have experienced taking Fin.  It would have definitely been a bonus since I’m a diffused thinner and l could use the added density.

- No noticeable change in existing hair quality. It doesn’t really look or feel thicker to me, but my stylist has said that my hair seems thicker.  Ok, I’ll take her word for it....

Overall, my experience with Finasteride has been positive and it definitely helped put an immediate stop to my hair loss. Although l have not necessarily grown more hair, l have not lost more hair which is a huge win for me.  Other than reduced semen volume, l have not experienced any sexual side effects, or any other medical side effects.  You can certainly add me to the list of people who “wish they had started earlier”.  I don’t blame myself for having concerns and reservations to try Finasteride, but I’m just glad that finally started when l did. 

Edited by Cheddar

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/24/2017 at 1:40 PM, Valgreats said:

I have read the medical literature. The risk of side effects are low. But, you can potentially have permanent damage in your sexual function. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

Consider a rollercoaster. If one out of 1000 people died, would you ride it? Even if 999 had a great time.

Nothing is permanent. By looking at hormone levels you can easily correct it

Cheddar,

My experience with finasteride is almost identical to yours although I started it over 2 decades ago and still taking it...I take it every other day.

IMHO, you now have a stable platform for surgery if you so elect to have it.

Gillenator

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/26/2017 at 1:18 PM, biolizard said:

I agree. Sometimes by the time you feel the symptoms, for a few very unlucky souls...it’s too late. You are in essence playing Russian roulette with your bodies endocrine/testosterone balance. Just because you arent feeling more severe symptoms doesn’t mean that later nothing of significance will occur.

I have a low’ish testosterone level and can’t take Fin.

Now after being on Minoxidil for around 2 years I’ve notice some heart palpitations and murmur’ing. So I have stopped taking that too. I’ve had to have test ran on heart because of the minoxidil side effects. Again, I have been taking it for around 2 years. For years I didn’t notice anything, until I started having heart issues because of it. I hope it resolves ok and I havent done permanent damage.

Just tread very very carefully!! I’m done will all these dangerous ‘hair’ meds! It’s just not worth it for me! I’ve had a 2000 FUE and whatever happens in the future happens, but m not going to take these meds anymore.

Good luck with whatever route you go and TY for posting your journey.

I feel I'm very much similar to yourself in sensitivities to treatments, and I'm not 100% on fin yet either.

I liked that you had your 2000 aside of this and wondered how you were getting on with it please? (taking into account there's nothing additional in your system to assist it)

Many thanks

• 2 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 12:17 PM, Speegs said:

Give it a go, the "horror" stores are usually people with an agenda, all the effects are reversible by discontinuing use of the medication, and they happen to an outlier of people in the first place.

Buddy, you’ve got no idea what you’re talking about.

PFS is devastating and real. Read the current studies about the effects of finasteride - it is an incredibly damaging substance to the body!  I took 1.25mg of finasteride for 6.5 years after a (successful) hair transplant with Dr. Hasson.  Stopped taking this horrible drug in January after suddenly developing nearly all symptoms of PFS (post finasteride syndrome) in December of 2019.  I still have ED, delayed orgasm, and low libido.  I’m doing everything I can to get back to my former self, including serious regular (biking, running) exercise, excellent diet, support of a very understanding girlfriend, possible hormone and peptide therapy.    Nine months after quitting finasteride, I’m improved, but far from the highly sexual man I was.  

On 2/29/2020 at 1:11 AM, Thisisnotatest333 said:

Nothing is permanent. By looking at hormone levels you can easily correct it

I’m sorry but this is simply not true.

False and incorrect messages should not be spread with regards to this - albeit rare case scenarios. 

If androgen receptors are permanently shut off, regardless of the quantity of synthetic testosterone introduced to the body, there is no capacity for this to have any stimulus in terms of ‘kick starting’ the endocrine system back to its old self, as the body is unable to make use of this introduction of T, due to receptors not picking it up. 

I had side effects from Fin and stopped it a year ago but I did read "horrible" stories in body building forums on PFS and I was shattered. I'm back 100% but I feel bad/sad for who hasn't. Hang in there and follow protocol and hopefully you should be over it.