My Journey with Finasteride

Cheddar

I have been experiencing hair loss for the last 3 years and I have been struggling with the idea of using Finasteride to treat my thinning hair. I’m in my late 30’s and not ready to go bald. I am experiencing diffused thinning and according to a few hair transplant doctors I have seen in person, l am an “ideal” candidate for Finasteride.

Like many of you, I have been doing research on Finasteride (for a few years) and have come across many of the success and horror stories. I am not prepared to lose any more hair, so despite my fears of side effects and the risk of “PFS”, I have decided to fill my prescription and start on Finasteride.

5mg generic Finasteride cut 1/4 daily (1.25mg)

First dose Nov 26, 2017

I will keep a diary of my progress in this thread with the hope of being able to help anyone else who may be struggling with the idea of taking Finasteride. I will give honest and unbiased feedback, and possibly before and after photos depending on how I progress. This forum has been a great resource for me over the years, so this is my way of giving back.

I am excited by the prospect of halting my hair loss and hopefully regaining some density, so here we go!

Day 3: So far, no noticeable side effects or changes of any sort. Feeling nervous and excited.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give it a go, the "horror" stores are usually people with an agenda, all the effects are reversible by discontinuing use of the medication, and they happen to an outlier of people in the first place.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Just want to encourage you to take this hair loss medication under the advice and counsel of a licensed physician who treats hair loss.

That way, the doctor can make potential adjustments if needed and also be able to monitor your efficiency with you.

Best wishes in keeping your hair...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Give it a go, the "horror" stores are usually people with an agenda, all the effects are reversible by discontinuing use of the medication, and they happen to an outlier of people in the first place.

Yup, I’m guessing there might be a lot of discussion here both for and against Finasteride. I’ve made my decision based on my own feelings about the drug and my goals, so we’ll see how it goes.

Just want to encourage you to take this hair loss medication under the advice and counsel of a licensed physician who treats hair loss.

That way, the doctor can make potential adjustments if needed and also be able to monitor your efficiency with you.

Best wishes in keeping your hair...;)

Thanks for the positive encouragement. It should be noted that I received the prescription from a hair transplant surgeon. I have informed my family doctor, who is aware of my full medical history, of my decision to start Finasteride and she has given me the green light.

Congrats on deciding to try finasteride. 1mg/day has kept my crown and midscalp intact for almost two decades.

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

I started on fin 2 years ago for 4 months .. it seems to help with hair fall, but I was a Norwood 1 n was in denial didn’t felt like I needed it because I didn’t see the benefits n didn’t think I would ever be bald ..I always thought fallen hair would just grow back because I had so many . so I stopped Fin because I did notice my libido was lower .. but it was mild ,n tolerable since my testosterone was already high .. it was the thought of having to take a drug forever was what made me stop .. so I wasted my time for theme to two years on rogaine , supplements n 6 month on a laser cap.. . now I like lost about 20% density on top . N my hairline receded 1 inch in the hairline. . I have no bald spots but my hair has significantly gotten thinner , it’s really fine . So now my hair is really flat .. n since this year hair fall is a lot .. when I shake my head a few strands would fall .. literally scaring me , it’s like since my hair follicles are thinner now it’s easier to fall out from the scalp .. So Ive been back on propecia now for 2.5 months ... I don’t know if it will thicken up my hair , since it’s so fine now . But I’m wishing so .. I know so far since the first month it has helped with my hair fall .. only have 1-2 hairs or even zero when I shake my head .. about 1 hair on the pillow when I sleep .. so it’s helping .. I feel more secure about the future of my hair now .. wished I didn’t waste all that time trying other things n took Propecia 3 -5 years ago. Then I would of still be a Norwood 1 . Don’t make the same mistake !!!

Oh yeah im a Norwood 2 now with diffuse thinning on top .. with no family history of baldness .. all my brothers have thick Norwood 1 hair but me :(. Oh yeah I only used rogaine for 4 months on my hairline , it made it worse . It did help thicken miniaturized hair , but causes irritation to my scalp n caused surrounding hair to fall out easier .. so I stopped that n gotten back on propecia .. my doctor was like that’s the thing with propecia. you don’t know if it’s helping until you stop . ...

I never worried about hair before.. now it’s what I worry most :( I’m 38 , guess u can start MPB later in life .

Edited by Legend007

Thanks for the positive encouragement. It should be noted that I received the prescription from a hair transplant surgeon. I have informed my family doctor, who is aware of my full medical history, of my decision to start Finasteride and she has given me the green light.

Glad to hear...And its always a good idea to let your PCP know that you started the medication especially when future PSA tests are done.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

1 week update:

Nothing to report. Feeling good and no noticeable side effects. Will continue taking 1.25mg daily.

Awesome news...;)

Gillenator

• 2 weeks later...

2 & 3 week update:

Still nothing to report, which is good news l guess. No noticeable side effects. Still taking 1.25mg daily (splitting 5mg tablets). No noticeable changes to hair density or volume, but it is still too early of course.

The inhibition period is roughly 60-90 days and most doctors will advise to take the medication for at least 12 months to fairly evaluate its efficiency.

I also cut the 5 mg Proscar tablet and have been for many years...it's far cheaper that way.

Gillenator

4 week update:

1) Started feeling what some people refer to as “ball ache” this week. Feeling a little discomfort and aches in the testicals. It’s not too severe and definitely manageable, so l plan to continue taking the medication. If the ache continues through the holidays l will likely see my doctor to discuss.

2) l have noticed a decrease in shedding hair while combing and taking a shower. May be a coincidence, but it is significant. This positive sign definitely makes it easier to live with the slight ball ache for now.

Edited by Cheddar

I have read the medical literature. The risk of side effects are low. But, you can potentially have permanent damage in your sexual function. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

Consider a rollercoaster. If one out of 1000 people died, would you ride it? Even if 999 had a great time.

I have read the medical literature. The risk of side effects are low. But, you can potentially have permanent damage in your sexual function. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

Consider a rollercoaster. If one out of 1000 people died, would you ride it? Even if 999 had a great time.

I agree. Sometimes by the time you feel the symptoms, for a few very unlucky souls...it’s too late. You are in essence playing Russian roulette with your bodies endocrine/testosterone balance. Just because you arent feeling more severe symptoms doesn’t mean that later nothing of significance will occur.

I have a low’ish testosterone level and can’t take Fin.

Now after being on Minoxidil for around 2 years I’ve notice some heart palpitations and murmur’ing. So I have stopped taking that too. I’ve had to have test ran on heart because of the minoxidil side effects. Again, I have been taking it for around 2 years. For years I didn’t notice anything, until I started having heart issues because of it. I hope it resolves ok and I havent done permanent damage.

Just tread very very carefully!! I’m done will all these dangerous ‘hair’ meds! It’s just not worth it for me! I’ve had a 2000 FUE and whatever happens in the future happens, but m not going to take these meds anymore.

Good luck with whatever route you go and TY for posting your journey.

Permanent damage to sexual dysfunction?

No, simply not likely.

https://healthunits.com/news/finasteride-is-not-causing-sexual-dysfunction/

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

4 week update:

1) Started feeling what some people refer to as “ball ache” this week. Feeling a little discomfort and aches in the testicals. It’s not too severe and definitely manageable, so l plan to continue taking the medication. If the ache continues through the holidays l will likely see my doctor to discuss.

2) l have noticed a decrease in shedding hair while combing and taking a shower. May be a coincidence, but it is significant. This positive sign definitely makes it easier to live with the slight ball ache for now.

UPDATE on my last post:

I passed a kidney stone a couple days after my last post, and although passing the stone was not fun, l no longer have any “ball ache” or discomfort of any sort!

I’m not yet 100% certain, but l think the ache was being caused by the start of passing the stone. So far I’m symptom free and everything is back to normal. I’ll provide an update in a few more days.

Propecia is the best way to keep your hair from miniaturizing.. if u don’t take it eventually most ur hair will get thinner n become easier to fall out n by the time u notice it .. most ur hair has thinned out n miniaturized so it breaks easier .. n the new hair that grows to replace it will be even smaller till u have no hair in that follicle .. ur Hair volume will be a lot less .. I was in same situation as u .. I used it for 4 months.. didn’t see a difference in results because I had so much hair at 35.. n my hair grew so fast .. now I’m 38 n realize my mistake .. started back on it 4 months ago n hoping n praying it can thicken my hair back up .. it gives me hope though .. cuz I know it works .. ur hair won’t fall out as easy .. n if u already noticing ur hair loss ,, more than likely cuz u aren’t growing enough hair to combat the hair loss like when u were younger ... . once u start u can’t just quit .. it accelerates ur MPB if u do..now I’m looking for a transplant .. cuz of all the negative stuff online n didn’t want to be dependent on a drug n in denial of my MPB .. I stopped taking prophecia at 35 with only a 4 month trial .. then I started shedding .. lost my temple area n thinned all up top.. I’m still a Norwood 2 however . But now I’m looking into a transplant to get back what I lost.. .. Around $10k just for 1200 grafts .. if I stayed on Propecia back then I wouldnt have to spend thousands of dollars right now .. only side effect I feel is I don’t have a boner every

Morning . N don’t need to jackoff all the time .. But I can still have an erection when I’m aroused ..’so don’t overthink it .. n don’t blame prooecia for minor health issues that is caused by other things .. just know though once u start it .. whatever side effect u thought u had while on it .. is going to be very minor to the acceleration of ur hair loss when u get off it..

Oh my word, had a kidney stone myself some years back and it was 4mm and got lodged in my kidney, it had to be removed surgically...one of the most painful things I ever experienced and would not wish it on anyone...:eek:

Gillenator

5 week update:

No noticeable side effects and feeling good. Week 4 was rough, but I’m fairly certain that the aching symptoms were related to passing a kidney stone (it would be really unfair to blame Fin for that!). I’ve been feeling fine ever since. Shedding appears to have decreased although it hasn’t stopped completely. Going to continue with 1.25mg daily.

The shedding is a good sign that you are responding to the medication and glad to see that you are staying with it because it will give you lots more time to hang onto the native hair that you currently have.

Gillenator

• 2 weeks later...

6 week update:

Still no noticeable side effects. Feeling normal and well. Also, no noticeable changes to my hair. I don’t think I’m losing as much in the sink in the morning, which is a good sign. I’m still hoping to see some density improvement and even some new growth (if I’m lucky)!

I’ve been receiving several PM’s to elaborate on the types of side effects I’m monitoring. So just to clarify:

6 weeks in:

- no sexual side effects of any sort (everything is functioning as normal)

- no mood swings, depression or insomnia

- no brain fog or issues with concentration

- no joint pain or aches

- no major shedding (l believe my hair loss is slowing down, but it has not stopped completely)

Initially I was very apprehensive about taking Fin, maybe even a little scared due to the risk of side effects. However, up to now it has not had an impact on my life whatsoever. In fact, l am really looking forward to hopefully experiencing some positive results with my hair in a few more months (all going well).

I hope this helps answer the questions many of you have been asking.