Finasteride prior to Fue?

P3not

Hi everyone,

If you can add any value to my topic then please feel free to comment.

I have been looking into a fue to lower my hairline, I have minimal recession and I am 29 years old (My hairline has always been terrible, so don't feel need to take finasteride just yet).

However I have been reading transplant stories on this site and it seems that the surgeons sometimes request patients be on finasteride prior to the surgery.

Is this to prevent further loss or do you think it is to aid the success of the transplanted hairs?

Many Thanks

P3not

Most hair transplant surgeons recommend that prospective patients start medical treatment with Propecia (finasteride) at least a year prior to restoration surgery. This is often just a suggestion and not a requirement for surgery.

Because the grafts harvested from the permanent zone are immune to the effects of DHT, there is no need for drugs to aid in the success of their growth. The purpose of starting finasteride 12 months before surgery is to slow the progression of hair loss in balding areas of the scalp and potentially regrow hair. The may result in fewer grafts required to meet the patient's hair restoration goals.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Surgeons are always happier if their patients have had success with Finasteride before surgery. Like Spex says, hairloss is progressive, so it's very possible that you'll lose more hair in the future. But it isn't essential. I used Fin for many years, and then I stopped and there was no difference. I was fortunate.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

• 2 weeks later...

Some surgeons feel more strongly about their patients taking it than others, so this is something you could discuss with the surgeons you're considering as well. Depending on the stage of your hair loss and how much they predict it will progress, they may not feel as strongly about you taking it if you're having reservations. And while you can set yourself up for better success by taking the drug, it's not necessarily a deal breaker if you choose not to.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Having stable or very slowly progressing hairloss is the important matter here. It doesn't really matter whether that is due to good fortune or successful medical treatment.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

In my opinion, it's always a good idea for men to consider finasteride to help prevent any future hair loss. However, it will not aid in the growth of a hair transplant. Thus, it really depends on when and why you are using it as to whether or not it will be effective for you. For me, I used finasteride for 7 plus years and it really didn't do a thing for me. So I decided to stop using it. I've had 4 hair transplants and I am quite content with the head of hair that I have now. It's still thinner in the back, but most people don't even notice the back of my scalp.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 3 months later...

The use of finesteride is important for preventing further hair loss, not necessarily preventing shock loss. You don't HAVE to take it, but it would be highly recommended to try and keep what you have! If you're fortunate to have a very dense "donor" area on the back of your head and you knew that you were only going to lose a little hair, it wouldn't be a big deal. But it's hard to predict the future. The side effects of the medications are generally rare and and reversible if you stop the medication. Anything less than the 1mg a day dose is probably

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

I'm very close to booking my HT, just doing a lot of reading on the topic right now. I am 27 years old. I've got quotes from Dr Erdogan and Dr Doganay from Turkey, just tossing up between them (would love to hear any opinions on either of these surgeons, especially Dr Doganay as I know Erdogan is great). 

The Finasteride debate is one i'm dealing with right now too. Both Doctors have recommended I use Finasteride, as I have a weak donor area at the back of my head. Their view is that Finasteride should help in thickening this area and improving my overall donor capacity. I have never used Finasteride. 

The challenge is that my wife and I are looking to start a family within the next 12-18 months, so i'm really unsure about giving Finasteride a go and tempting fate with any side effects. Dr Doganay offers beard transplants, which can be used on the scalp, so i'm seriously considering that. However, my crown has started to thin already, so my worry is that having a HT with a weak donor area, combined with non-use of Finasteride is just setting me up for a future of looking very weird, given I won't be able to have future HT's (as my donor area thins out further). 

Would appreciate your thoughts on this....

• Administrators

Do you mind posting pictures, it is difficult to accurately give you an opinion on your situation without seeing the extent of hair loss. 

Warmest regards- Melvin 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

6 hours ago, Melvin-HTsoon said:

Do you mind posting pictures, it is difficult to accurately give you an opinion on your situation without seeing the extent of hair loss. 

Warmest regards- Melvin 

Thanks Melvin.

Dry 4.jpg

Dry 5.jpg

Pic 2.jpg

Pic 4.jpg

Pic 3.jpg

Pic 1.jpg

On 7/18/2018 at 3:45 AM, Melvin-HTsoon said:

Warmest regards- Melvin 

Hi mate, what do you think with my pics? I've been quoted a few different options so far.

1) Dr Erdogan has recommended I wait 6 months and use Finasteride before contacting him again. He won't operate on me right now given my donor area

2) Dr Doganay has said 4000 grafts total is possible now

3) Dr Bhatti can do 2000 grafts for my hairline now. He recommends i wait and do my crown down the track once my hairloss stabilises (I'm 26 yrs old). 

Not keen on using Finasteride so what other options do I have?

• 1 month later...
On 7/18/2018 at 3:59 PM, OzzyBoy said:

Hi mate, what do you think with my pics? I've been quoted a few different options so far.

1) Dr Erdogan has recommended I wait 6 months and use Finasteride before contacting him again. He won't operate on me right now given my donor area

3) Dr Bhatti can do 2000 grafts for my hairline now. He recommends i wait and do my crown down the track once my hairloss stabilises (I'm 26 yrs old). 

Hi Ozzy! Your donor does give me concern - particularly that you mentioned it is still thinning. Have you had your hair examined in person? The reason donor hair is donor hair is because it generally isn't subject to MPB and you're not going to lose them, regardless of where they are on your scalp. However, if your donor hair isn't stable, then those same hairs in the back/sides of your head that are destined to fall out will still fall out even if moved to the top/crown/hairline. I would be extremely cautious and get more consultations than your average person typically would. You're also quite young, and combine all of that with not being willing/able to take finasteride, ad your situation is particularly tricky... So please take your time and really make your decision carefully. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• Administrators
On 7/18/2018 at 3:59 PM, OzzyBoy said:

I agree with Dr. Erdogan, I would wait at least 6 months to see if the treatment is working for you, I would also add in minoxidil. I would not touch the crown as Dr. Bhatti suggested as well. You have a lot of miniaturized hair, hopefully the finasteride and minoxidil can help. If you do not want to take finasteride, I would suggest another 5-alpha reductase inhibitor. You can try Azelaic Acid.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:57 AM, pkipling said:

Hi Ozzy! Your donor does give me concern - particularly that you mentioned it is still thinning. Have you had your hair examined in person? The reason donor hair is donor hair is because it generally isn't subject to MPB and you're not going to lose them, regardless of where they are on your scalp. However, if your donor hair isn't stable, then those same hairs in the back/sides of your head that are destined to fall out will still fall out even if moved to the top/crown/hairline. I would be extremely cautious and get more consultations than your average person typically would. You're also quite young, and combine all of that with not being willing/able to take finasteride, ad your situation is particularly tricky... So please take your time and really make your decision carefully. 

Thanks for your response!

Yes, i've had my hair examined in person in Australia (with some hair loss clinics, no world class surgeons though), they all recommended no more than 2000 grafts across my hairline and to leave the crown alone. They also recommended finasteride.

After reading more about Finasteride, I feel it's worth trying especially at my age in conjunction with a HT. It appears the side effects are rare / more psychological than anything. 

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 11:57 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

I agree with Dr. Erdogan, I would wait at least 6 months to see if the treatment is working for you, I would also add in minoxidil. I would not touch the crown as Dr. Bhatti suggested as well. You have a lot of miniaturized hair, hopefully the finasteride and minoxidil can help. If you do not want to take finasteride, I would suggest another 5-alpha reductase inhibitor. You can try Azelaic Acid.

thanks Melvin. One of the surgeons I mentioned above is recommending that I do not use Finasteride right now, instead, go for my HT and then use Finasteride for 6 months post-op only. Is this a viable option, one that you've seen before? I'd be happy to use Finasteride for the 6 months post-op.

I've attached a photo of my donor area with my hair grown out some more compared to my earlier pics. 

Pic.jpg