Dr Resul Yaman - 4300 Grafts - October 2017

Hi all,

I recently underwent FUE with Dr Yaman in Istanbul, and will be tracking my progress over the next 18 months on here. I found it incredibly helpful and reassuring reading other peoples experiences on here when I was researching hair transplants myself, so wanted to provide the same for others.

Quick background on me, I first noticed thinning around my right temple in my early 20’s, none of the men in my family have MPB so this came as a real shock to me, and as most on here will know was a demoralising discovery. I got straight on finasteride though, and with a little bit of Nanogen, even I tended to forget my hair had thinned at all and it got no worse. Then the time came to start a family, so I came off the finasteride and got to work… Fast forward two kids and about 4 years later, and my thinning had got quite a bit worse. I hadn’t really receded, but had diffuse thinning all over. I no longer felt hair fibres were doing the trick, and felt they were starting to become noticeable in certain lights, so I started working on a plan to put things right…

With the help of Google and this great website, I did a lot of research, found out loads about FUE / FUT and all the clinics and doctors available. I communicated with quite a few doctors and clinics via email, before settling on Dr Yaman in Istanbul. That was early 2017, after quite a bit of discussion and questions, I booked in for late October and impatiently waited my trip to Turkey…

So finally, after waiting most of 2017, the morning arrived to fly to Istanbul - it was Sunday 29th October, time to go and get my hair back! Leaving for Heathrow on Sunday morning, I didn’t feel too nervous about the surgery itself, but did feel quite apprehensive about actually travelling to Istanbul on my own and leaving my family behind. On arrival in Istanbul, getting through customs was quick, and as promised my driver was waiting for me as planned. He handed me his mobile phone and I spoke briefly with Fikret, who welcomed me to Istanbul and gave me a quick update on the plan for the next few days. It was a short drive to the hotel - Divan Suites GPlus - and the driver saw me to the front desk. I checked in quickly and got up to my room, which was really nice and modern. I decided to take advantage of being a solo traveller (I’m used to travelling with kids nowadays!) and having the evening to myself, and went down for a long workout in the hotel gym. It was easily the best hotel gym I’ve ever been to, it was better than most gyms I have paid to attend in London (and even had a half basketball court free to use). I spent a good couple of hours down there, then went back to my room and watched a movie and ordered room service. It was a nice relaxed start to my trip to Istanbul, and made me feel good about everything…

Monday arrived - the day of my surgery! - I still felt relaxed and was excited to finally be at my surgery day. I took advantage of the gym again first thing, as I knew it’d be a month or so before I’d be lifting any weights again, had breakfast and got myself ready. I met my interpreter Hazal in the hotel reception at 11am, and our driver arrived right on time and we were off to the clinic. Hazal was great, easy to talk to and funny. Again, the professionalism and friendliness all helped me feel relaxed about positive about everything. We arrived at the clinic and I finally met Fikret in person - after months of email and text messages - and he took me through the plan for the day. I then went and had my bloods taken for testing and for my PRP. Following this I met the man himself, Dr Yaman. He checked my scalp, my current hair density on top and the quality of the donor area. He advised my donor area looked really healthy and he could see a large amount of doubles / multiples, which was a good start. My hair density is medium, which again he said was good. Dr Yaman then took my measurements and drew on his proposed hairline, which we didn’t bring forward at all as luckily my hairline was still quite strong and we all agreed was natural looking. Following this, all that was left was to shave my hair down further and prepare for surgery. We shaved my head, got my surgical clothing on and then went through to the surgery room. I still felt really relaxed, all the staff I met were professional and friendly which really helps.

Surgery starts which the anaesthetic injections around your scalp - which as I’ve seen many people write in their reviews, really hurt! It is bearable though, and your scalp is soon completely numb so well worth it obviously. Once my head was sufficiently numbed, Dr Yaman started to make the incisions on my transplant area - he completed all this stage himself. I then rolled over for Dr Yaman to prepare the grafts from my donor area, ready for extraction. Once completed, he handed over to his technicians for extraction and then implantation. We then broke for lunch. The first half went great, and I felt fine throughout. After lunch it was a repeat, with Dr Yaman handling the motorised punch and preparing all grafts on the donor site then handing over to his technicians for extraction and implant. It was all seamless, and was all the same team throughout my surgery. Dr Yaman took a keen interest throughout, and was in and out the room during the extraction and implant phases to ensure all was going well. He was very happy with how it looked and told me he expects a great final result - which was obviously great to hear. After surgery was completed I was driven back to my hotel and went straight up to my room for a light meal from room service and then lay down with my neck pillow (provided by the clinic) to get some sleep. I didn’t sleep too badly all things considered, and managed to get some decent rest.

The next day (Tuesday) my driver picked me up at 1pm and I popped into the clinic to have my dressings removed and head checked. All was fine and everyone seemed happy. Fikret gave me a number of additional supplements etc to help with my recovery and ongoing hair care - which was massively appreciated. My first wash was going to be at 2pm the following day, with my flight home afterwards on Weds evening. Fikret kindly arranged a late check out for me with the hotel, and arranged for the driver to collect me at 2pm the following day. Again, this was massively appreciated and a nice touch, and meant I had a full 24hrs to go back to the hotel for some rest and recuperation.

Wednesday arrived, again I managed to get some good sleep overnight and felt good. I packed my bags and was excited to be heading home to my family. I was picked up at 2pm and taken to the clinic for my first wash, they showed me how to wash and treat it myself for the next couple of weeks once I got home and that was it, all done and ready to leave. Before I left I quickly saw Dr Yaman again which was nice, I have arranged to go back with my wife in June next year for a follow up appointment - you don’t have to do this, but it’ll be a nice little breakfor us and also I’ll feel good to check in with Dr Yaman and get his feedback in 8 months time. They also kindly offered another PRP treatment free of charge when I return which is great. They also provide a certificate detailing your surgery and guaranteeing at least 90% of the grafts will be successful.

Before I left on Weds, I got to meet an Italian patient who had his surgery 9 months ago. His hair looked amazing, really full and natural. That was great to see and made me feel even better about my whole trip and experience and what is still to come.

I really can’t fault Dr Yaman, Fikret, their whole team and the operation they run at their clinic in Istanbul. They are friendly, quick to respond and extremely professional from start to finish. I was really happy with my whole experience.

Now, obviously the main reason we are all here is for high-quality hair transplants, so the proof of whether or not this was all worth it will be in my end result - but if it matches what I have experienced so far, it’ll be some of the best money I have ever spent - and I’m fully expecting it to be a great result.

I’m 2 weeks post-surgery now and have healed up nicely, see pics attached. I had some real swelling for a few days about 4 days after surgery, it went as quickly as it came though and didn’t cause any issues.

I will update this thread with pictures every 8 weeks or so, and am happy to answer any questions in the meantime.

FYI, I paid 1 euro per graft and had 4300 grafts:

820 Single

2350 Double

1130 Multiple

Thanks.

J

5b32f6efbbc33_ShaveHairPre-Op.JPG.70697b44d29958504b494eae38a929aa.JPG

5b32f6efce503_30OctoberPost-Op.thumb.jpg.d7e4be376eb8523e3590b791a97c9071.jpg

5b32f6efe1d7e_3November.thumb.jpg.d3489b77d5b0e2e6632c1234101d9bb4.jpg

5b32f6f0013cd_12November.thumb.jpg.77006f1daf33a8278933e023fa481143.jpg

5b32f6f02d18d_8November.thumb.jpg.263762355293432eccf9daac48a8e672.jpg

5b32f6f041b11_LongerHairPre-Op.thumb.JPG.7182499db68c073dc546be9fae16e71a.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Nice work! and thank you for sharing your experience, I have my surgery with Dr Yaman On January and reading posts like yours really helps, my question is about the payment, did you pay before or after the surgery?

Thanks, yeah I’m really pleased with it so far. Healed up really well, looking forward to when it all starts growing back in now!

You will enjoy your time in Istanbul with Dr Yaman and his team I’m sure. Nice hotel and clinic.

I paid after surgery.

• 4 weeks later...

Aggressive is the common term for a low/youthfull hairline.

Hard to tell from the pics, but it appears as if the center point is below the 1/3 rule mark.

This would be very aggressive, cost a lot of grafts (which a young fellow might need for later) and might even look weird when beeing older.

Maybe from the side view it looks a bit low but he could be frowning which makes it look lower. I think the front on view looks good.

Anyway would like an update from him. There seems to be an awful lot of reviews started and then they seem to give up and never post again. Its pretty annoying.

Hi all, don’t worry I will 100% be keeping this thread updated for 18 months - for better or worse. I agree it is frustrating and disheartening when you see threads started then just go silent.

Anyway with the hairline, I agreed it with the doctor, Dr Yaman included me in all decisions and made doubly sure I was happy before starting. We just filled in what was there, followed the natural line and didn’t bring it forward at all. So it is obviously a lot stronger along the whole line but not any lower on my forehead. Will attach a pic now, I’m in the car and have nanogen in but it’ll show how the hairline is... I am also planning to upload my 8 week picture with no product in this weekend.

Anyway thanks for the comments, really appreciate the positive feedback and if I can help anyone else of their quest for more hair then I’m more than happy to.

396DBA85-D500-4427-9119-117E984E6215.thumb.jpg.1f0d306df2cc1276ae2cfb7e8d483ca7.jpg

Sorry, I did not want to make you feel bad or anything. It is really that every clinic seems to have another protocol.

I have a similar low hairline like you and am a diffuse thinner as well. Besides being older (38) and having a great donor (approx. 10 000 grafts and I need less than 3000), 2 of 3 clinics recommended a hairline higher than my (still partly existing) natural hairline. Reason: Mainly due to aesthetics when being older …

Sorry, I did not want to make you feel bad or anything. It is really that every clinic seems to have another protocol.

I have a similar low hairline like you and am a diffuse thinner as well. Besides being older (38) and having a great donor (approx. 10 000 grafts and I need less than 3000), 2 of 3 clinics recommended a hairline higher than my (still partly existing) natural hairline. Reason: Mainly due to aesthetics when being older …

Nah not at all, appreciate the feedback. Sounds like we’re similar, and I’ve gone slightly more aggressive in my approach to be fair, in terms of retaining my 30-odd year old hairline position. I’m on finasteride again now, and am confident that’ll halt too much further loss of my natural hair, it did previously before I came off to start a family.

Anyway, if I get to middle-age and my problem is too youthful of a hairline, I’ll take that over no hair all day long I guess ;)

Have you gone ahead with your procedure or chosen a clinic yet? Sounds like you’re in a good position to get a fantastic result.

Cheers pal.

Nah not at all, appreciate the feedback. Sounds like we’re similar, and I’ve gone slightly more aggressive in my approach to be fair, in terms of retaining my 30-odd year old hairline position. ...

Have you gone ahead with your procedure or chosen a clinic yet? Sounds like you’re in a good position to get a fantastic result.

Cheers pal.

Thanks for that positive answer. Some people just looking for positive feedback and are not open for discussion!

I am booked for a very small "test" procedure (<500 FU) in March. After that I will decide how to proceede in terms of method (FUE/FUT) and how aggresive I am with my hairline. For such a bigger procedure I also need some weeks/month off at work. This will be very difficult for me to arrange.

Hey everyone... 10 weeks post-op tomorrow. As promised just posting some current pics taken in natural light after washing it, with no fibres or product in. Not much else to say at this stage really, happy with everything so far and looking forward to the year ahead...

Hope everyone’s 2018 has started well :cool:

3829DF51-5556-419D-A001-E1F82D882886.thumb.jpg.222100dfc32888da469ef6925a60b54f.jpg

E1DA0972-B74F-49C8-AE41-8D4AF1423297.thumb.jpg.e6b90fbc4f6d756d4287cecd4533612f.jpg

70C15610-4593-40C3-90F3-F2345A73D476.thumb.jpg.faf0cf477810806634c21f3539ebf2ee.jpg

• 1 month later...

So, as promised some new pics taken today in the brightest daylight I could find, freshly washed with no product in at all.

18 weeks tomorrow since my procedure and I am really happy with how everything how gone since. Looks great day-to-day with a bit of Nanogen in, and the donor area looks absolutely fine. Washing my hair 2x a week with Roots, and also using the propacil spray Fikret kindly gave me before I left Turkey. Taking finasteride daily too.

Will put up some more pics in approx 8 weeks and as always I’m happy to answer any questions anyone may have.

Nice one.

J

B7403A73-C711-42D3-9223-65DA24DB240D.thumb.jpg.adf65800aab7f0d2b87f69c94a104e2c.jpg

E55D68E3-5129-45D4-AF8F-67446D608EEE.thumb.jpg.dd2a7c21e8b3e1bc3abace5967442d81.jpg

9CFD976B-4C01-43BA-BC8D-6D8C2D86D43A.thumb.jpg.ddbc14646c1017b8198627cd4757f0f6.jpg

24BD0F67-822B-4312-9439-C938C155C7C2.thumb.jpg.f88a2288dc5af935008d2bdcae4523c5.jpg

Anyway, if I get to middle-age and my problem is too youthful of a hairline, I’ll take that over no hair all day long I guess ;)

I think there are bigger issues than you're imagining. When you start thinning out on top and in the crown when you're older, it will look really unnatural to still have hair at the front like that.

I do agree that this hairline is too aggressive, not a lot of thought has gone into the long term which the surgeon should be guiding you on.

I think there are bigger issues than you're imagining. When you start thinning out on top and in the crown when you're older, it will look really unnatural to still have hair at the front like that.

I do agree that this hairline is too aggressive, not a lot of thought has gone into the long term which the surgeon should be guiding you on.

Quite a presumptuous post, but, I respect your opinion and there is nothing I can do about it either way now anyway, so it is what it is - but I am very happy with the hairline, the consultation I received beforehand and the results so far, which is the main thing.

Thanks for your feedback.

The design of your hair line looks absolutely fantastic

Thanks Turk, I’m pleased with it. Dr Yaman wanted to keep it in line with the hairline I had retained, we didn’t bring it forward, just filled in where the line had thinned and really strengthened in behind.

Thanks Turk, I’m pleased with it. Dr Yaman wanted to keep it in line with the hairline I had retained, we didn’t bring it forward, just filled in where the line had thinned and really strengthened in behind.

Your hair line looks fine. Not too aggressive, not too conventional. It is perfect. You will look perfect with this even when you are 50.

Regarding future hair loss; I'm sure you still have at least another 2K grafts left at your donor area. So even if your crown gets thinner as you get older, you could always get a second surgery to fill it. And then you will be set for life ;)

Quite a presumptuous post, but, I respect your opinion and there is nothing I can do about it either way now anyway, so it is what it is - but I am very happy with the hairline, the consultation I received beforehand and the results so far, which is the main thing.

Thanks for your feedback.

You'll have to explain how I'm being presumptuous, I don't see how I am.

I think - on a public platform - its important to show a sense of what is normal and achievable with HT's. There are lots of new people coming here to get an impression of what can be achieved. I have to ask, would any of the top top FUE surgeons give a hairline that aggressive on a person with your characteristics and I have to say that I most definitely don't think they would. There are too many long term implications that don't make this an ethical choice for the patient.

You'll have to explain how I'm being presumptuous, I don't see how I am.

I think - on a public platform - its important to show a sense of what is normal and achievable with HT's. There are lots of new people coming here to get an impression of what can be achieved. I have to ask, would any of the top top FUE surgeons give a hairline that aggressive on a person with your characteristics and I have to say that I most definitely don't think they would. There are too many long term implications that don't make this an ethical choice for the patient.

You have presumed I didn’t discuss the hairline or get any guidance from my surgeon in your first reply (which is incorrect), now above you have presumed “top top” surgeons wouldn’t have gone for the same hairline too (unless you have discussed me with them since your first post? Apologies if so)... Hopefully that explains why I feel you may have been a touch presumptuous.

I really don’t want to get in a negative back and forth on here though. As I say, I do respect that you are entitled to your opinion and I agree people should be able to use this great forum to form their opinions on HT - hence me wanting to provide my story from start to finish for people to judge Dr Yaman’s work from a true patient.

I am on finasteride and it has always worked well for me, so I hope to not experience too much further hairloss from here on, as I won’t stop again as I did previously to start my family.. if I do though and my hairline position is an issue, I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it, for now though I’m very happy and satisfied - with hopefully more gains to come too.

Thanks again, I do genuinely appreciate all feedback.

J